Posted by on May 3, 2012 in AncestryDNA

It’s an exciting day for DNA and family history fans alike here at Ancestry.com. You may have heard some of the hype about the new DNA test… well, it’s here! AncestryDNAhas launched!

From the overwhelming interest we’ve seen, it seems our members are as excited as we are about this new advancement in DNA technology. Demand is through the roof, so for now, AncestryDNA will be available to Ancestry.com subscribers by invitation only. So be sure to get on the invite list here: www.dna.ancestry.com.

In the meantime, you can watch this video, meet a couple of members on the DNA team and see what the new AncestryDNA test is all about.

So, why is everybody so excited? What exactly can AncestryDNA do? Maybe all those family stories about your Viking ancestors were true. Maybe there’s a distant cousin you’ve never met who has a shoebox full of old photos to share. Now you can discover your genetic ethnicity, whether you’re Scandinavian, East Asian or Native American.

AncestryDNA also provides you with DNA matches—people who you may be related to. It’s a gold mine of new leads as you grow your family tree. Who knows what information is out there, waiting to be discovered? And the best part is, it’s dynamic and is continually updated as the database grows.

But the true power of AncestryDNA is that it can be integrated with all the resources available on Ancestry.com. 34 million family trees, 9 billion records—when combined with an AncestryDNA test, they create the most comprehensive family history experience yet.

Feeling a little social? Go to our facebook page and tell us what DNA discovery you’re hoping to make with the new AncestryDNA test. You could win our grand prize to help you with your family history search.

Let the discoveries begin!

tom neeley

looking for help with my family history. my name is tom neeley, my fathers name was dillard neeley. he was born in somerset ky in 1923. his fathers name was edwin neely and he passed away about 1932. after some hard searching i found out that my great grandpas name was john harrison neely and he pasted away about 1925. also that my 2great grandpas name was terrell martin neely and he passed away about 1905. if any has any info about my family line please let me share with me. my dad died when i was 12 so i have had to search all this info blindly. i think a username dfarmer101 may be able to help me out with some info.

May 3, 2012 at 7:50 pm
Lincoln Lowery

So when will it be available?

May 4, 2012 at 7:45 am
JPF

Will we be able to upload results from other DNA services like 23&Me??

May 7, 2012 at 11:50 pm
A Benton-Franklin

I can’t wait to see what new leads this DNA results can make available. Please keep me posted as I don’t really know my biological father’s side of the family and this may open new leads. Also, is this just for the subscriber or can their spouse also do this test? My hubby also never knew his father and maybe this will at least give him a clue of his ancestry background of at least solving what nationality he could possibly be. Thanks for offering this service.
ABF

May 9, 2012 at 5:06 am
lanbr1

So how much does it cost and what are the logistics?

May 9, 2012 at 7:08 pm
Trevor Thacker

It’s currently available for $99 for Ancestry subscribers by invite only. You can go to dna.ancestry.com to add your name to the list if you wish to do so.

May 10, 2012 at 11:45 am
JBF

It would be nice if you would send an email to the thousands in your BETA program who are still waiting for results as to what is causing the long wait. These people signed up in October and November of last year and were told they would have results in early 2012.

May 12, 2012 at 4:17 pm
Darlene8705

Have already had DNA work done on two of my family membeers through Ancestry.Com. What will it cost be to have this series of tests cost for people who’ve already had a DNA work up completed prior to this update?

May 15, 2012 at 8:40 am
BEE

My husband and I did this through National Geographic – what would be the difference?

May 16, 2012 at 5:22 am
Rebecca

Good Morning, My cousin and I accepted our original email being added to the DNA list almost at the same time. She received her email a couple of weeks back and has ordered the kit, but I’m still waiting. I understand they are sending the order information out in batches. Is there any way to find out where you are on the list?

Thanks-Reba

May 16, 2012 at 8:06 am
Dianne Diprose

I seem to be spending a lot of time contacting people who have used some of my information, to tell them that they have got it wrong. What will happen when I am no longer around, or able to correct people who are using my information wrongly? Ancestry doesn’t seem to have any system of checks and balances and so there is a proliferation of incorrect information spreading through the whole site.
How can your DNA system work properly when it is predicated on an incorrect data base? I have done genetic testing with 23andme and would like to use your test in future but am concerned at all the mistakes in your system. Please help by doing something to overcome this problem!

May 18, 2012 at 7:30 am
homeless11

I was surprized at how fast I got my results back on my DNA testing in November last year. My husband did one in National Geo DNA and it took over four months, they misplaced the original kit and We had to do it again. I would like to have my brother do a DNA test and get further results. How would I pay for his DNA test. He is not computer savvy, backward, slightly autistic, but love him a lot.

July 11, 2012 at 9:38 pm
David Johnson

I recently received my Ancestry DNA results and opened the results with much anticipation. Being ineligible for the “direct male descendant” Y-DNA testing due to the fact I descend through my mother, I was hoping to finally break down a brick wall that has existed over 15 years of research.

As for the ethnicity results, there was no surprise. Based upon 6 generations of documented research, and having knowledge of ancient and world history including the migratory and trade paths of past civilizations, I was pretty certain of my ethnicity.

My main interest in the test was in the member connection which I hoped would lead me to researchers of my ancestral line. My brick wall is that I cannot document a connection for my 2nd great grandfather to the many lines living in his same area having the same surname. By locating one or more cousins in one of these other lines, I hoped to determine which line to concentrate my further research upon. As it turns out, after approximately twenty matches of 3rd-6th cousin at 95%-98% accuracy, I find not one connection within 6 generations. That is disappointing.

I am certainly a novice when it comes to DNA and am at a great disadvantage when discussing the topic. I have tried to read related articles to give me a basic understanding. I also realize that my results have no guarantee and that as more people participate, better results will be forthcoming. For now, however, it is back to square one.

July 13, 2012 at 10:55 am
Wendy Anne Appleby

Hi,

I activated my kit on 6th July 2012 and posted it back that same day with recorded delivery. I was informed by the Postal Service that my kit was delivered on 13th July 2012.
I found on this website that the wait would be 6-8 weeks. It’s now 10th September 2012 and I haven’t received my results yet, however, I expect it any day now.

Is there any way I can find out the status of my sample? The reason I am asking is that I’ve heard stories of samples being lost and I have had no news from AncestryDNA confirming receipt of my sample and what stage of the process my sample is in.

Cheers,

One eager little cookie!

September 10, 2012 at 5:58 am
Nicole

Hi. I currently have my ancestor DNA by using the Nat Geo Human Genome Project. Is there a way for me to post that information to the Ancestry.comDNA area of the site?

September 17, 2012 at 10:46 am
Trevor Thacker

Wendy, Sorry to hear about the inconvenience, Wendy. We’ve looked into it and it sounds like the your test is in progress. We appreciate your patience!

September 24, 2012 at 4:34 pm
Trisha

Is there any way to find out were we are on the waiting list for DNA testing?

October 11, 2012 at 8:28 am
Chuck

After reviewing my results, I already knew where my ancestors came from, by looking at my family tree. Nothing new there.
When can I get the detailed info? I’d like to add mine to the Conklin-DNA Project. It’s a stand alone system, so we can detremine which branch we come fom.

October 12, 2012 at 3:54 pm