Posted by on April 27, 2012 in Who Do You Think You Are?

Actor Rob Lowe’s is hoping to discover a connection to the “real heroes” who helped establish America. But what he finds instead is the story of a soldier who fought against George Washington — but who then turned out to be quintessentially American. The details are unique, but it’s a story most of us recognize: the ancestor who made a hard choice that, more than 200 years later, we’re still benefiting from. Ancestry.com is a sponsor of Who Do You Think You Are? airing this Friday night at 8/7c on NBC. And visit www.ancestry.com/wdytya Saturday morning to learn more about uncovering the details behind your family’s unique story.

About Jeanie Croasmun

Jeanie Croasmun has been working at Ancestry.com while futilely attempting to prove the horse thief story in her family history for over seven years. During that time, she learned enough about her family to determine that the story is likely a great work of fiction. But the search continues ...

Jo Nell Costello

I think that it was so sweet to see Rob Lowe so thrilled with the discovery that he could be a member of the Sons of the American Revolution. I am a member of the NSDAR, and have several patriots. It is thrilling to know that one descends from someone who played a role in the American Revolution. All soldiers are patriots, and sacrifice so much so that we can enjoy our freedom.

April 27, 2012 at 7:22 pm
Janna

I have about eight ancestors who served. From watching last nights show I have decided to start the process of becoming a DAR member.

April 28, 2012 at 9:25 am
Judy

In Rob Lowe’s story, they mentioned something about ‘George Washington’s Papers’ & that they were ‘now available’ online. Does anyone know what they were referring to & where I would find them?

April 28, 2012 at 10:45 am
April 29, 2012 at 7:41 am
Debora Baxter Jackson

In my opinion, I think it would have given Rob’s episode more dramatic contrast if he had mentioned his Hepler patriot. Since his grandfather came to a couple Hepler reunions, surely he knew about that. Then they could have contrasted it w/ showing how his East/Oeste line had the Hessian soldier.
My husband, Robt, is 6th cousin to Rob Lowe through Heplers, so we were hoping the Hepler patriot would have played into his story. Rob Lowe’s middle name is Hepler!

April 30, 2012 at 7:23 am
Sherri

I don’t understand how they figure out that East was Oeste. I can’t even get out of Tennessee or South Carolina with my Family Tree… I don’t understand how they figure it all out. I have been working on it for 12 years and still brick wall after brick wall.

May 1, 2012 at 11:21 am
Patty Lewis

So many of episodes seem to do strange P.R. spins on the results they find. As someone who has both Southern and German roots I have to accept that not all ancestors fought on the side on the angels. Isn’t the truth a good enough “find”? The real inspirational story is of a man who chose to stay, work hard for his family and prospered…. the American Dream, not if you get to be in the DAR.

May 3, 2012 at 10:48 am
donya

I personally don’t believe that he could become a member of the DAR. I am confused as to how since his ancestor fought on the opposite side. I think they created a way for him to become a member because of who he is. Glad for him but please keep it honest

May 8, 2012 at 8:06 am
Guy Manningham

I missed the episode. Was his ancestor part of the Whiskey Rebellion?

May 8, 2012 at 1:53 pm
shops to rent puerto banus

Thanks for posting, definitely going to subscribe! See you on my reader.

October 24, 2012 at 1:56 am
corporate gift

I really like your blog content the way you put up the things…I’ve read the topic with great interest.

October 24, 2012 at 11:26 pm
products for advertising

I really appreciate the kind of topics you post here. Thanks for sharing information that is actually helpful. Good day!

October 25, 2012 at 3:43 am
gifts for business

Let us know if you have any comments!

October 26, 2012 at 10:41 pm
rental at Marbella

I am interested very much in the subject matter of your blog, it’s my first visit.

October 26, 2012 at 10:52 pm
Beach Villa for rent

This article gives the light in which we can observe the reality. this is very nice one and gives in-depth information.

October 27, 2012 at 1:11 am
プロモーションギフト

Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love learning more on this topic. If possible, as you gain expertise, would you mind updating your blog with more information

October 31, 2012 at 10:33 pm