Posted by on December 22, 2011 in Ancestry.com Site, Site Features

Thanks to all of you who have provided feedback on the new Advanced Image Viewer on the blog, via the message boards, through the survey, and directly via email (feedback-imageviewer@ancestry.com). We appreciate the input – both positive and negative – and have used it to further improve the viewer.

If you aren’t already using the new viewer, you can get to by clicking the Options button in the green toolbar above the image. You can switch back to a different viewer the same way.

Image Viewer Options Dialog

The updated viewer includes

• Print the Current View
  • Better keyboard support for zoom and panning
  • Better support for Newspapers and similar collections
  • Improved performance

Print the Current View

You can now print the current view of the image. This is the most-often requested print feature that we had in the previous Advanced Image Viewer. Position the image in the viewer (zoom in or out, move the image where you want it), click the Print button, and then select the Print the current view option. A preview window will appear and the Print dialog should open. (We generally recommend printing in Landscape; you can select that in the printer properties).

Print dialog showing new Print the current view option

Better keyboard support for zoom and panning

The previous version did not have full keyboard support for zooming and panning on all of the browsers. We believe this is corrected. The + and – keys on both the keyboard and keypad now work for zooming in or out. Arrow keys, as well as Page Up and Page Down keys, are supported for panning. Home will take you to the left side of the image; End will take you to the right side of the image.

Better support for newspapers and similar collections

We have improved our support for newspapers and similar collections (those that are processed with Optical Character Recognition, or OCR, technology). The viewer will now highlight the search terms and center the current hit within the viewer. Additionally, the Next Hit button should work.

Improved performance

We continue to work on performance issues to make the new viewer (and the underlying services which support it) faster and more responsive. There are still steps to take, but we hope you find that the experience continues to improve over time.

Other miscellaneous improvements

There are other improvements you may notice as you work with the new viewer. Images should now load to the “Fit Width” zoom level by default. The viewer now remembers your zoom settings as you move between images in a collection so you don’t have to reset it as you browse between images during the current session. And we prevent the new viewer from showing up on iOS devices (such as the iPad).

The Standard Viewer Remains Available

The Standard Viewer remains available. The Standard Viewer doesn’t have all of the same advanced features, but it does work on all browsers and operating systems (including iPads).

Regards,

Jim Mosher

[Updated on 8 August 2012]

About Jim Mosher

Jim Mosher is a Sr. Product Manager at Ancestry.com, focusing on the platform and service layers, with occasional forays into the user experience. Previously, Jim has worked for Microsoft, FAST, NextPage, MSTAR, and Folio in various product management, development, and technical writing roles. When not herding cats at Ancestry.com, he enjoys outdoor activities, wood working, and spending time with his family. Jim is distantly related to John Batterson Stetson, maker of the Stetson Hat, but has yet to receive any royalty payments.

Jade

A couple of weeks ago I could get the beta viewer to load a newspaper page in very small size that I could not zoom in or out on.

Now it does not load a newspaper image at all.

What is wrong? Win7 in 32-bit mode, FF browser.

December 22, 2011 at 3:53 pm
xandervan

Viewed newspaper images from 7 states, 7 different decades. No problems here – Win7, FF9.

December 23, 2011 at 12:08 am
Kelly Bauer

Why do you the LDS make up connections in family trees and then illeagly publish the? How family family trees have you the LDS stole and illeagle published? Now you charge people to look up all your misinformation. I have been doing this research for over 30 years. I have been to Salt Lake and know for a fact you have made many invalid connections in my family. I refuse to correct all your wrong assumed and made up info.You LDS people shhould be assamed of how and what you represent in the world of genealogy!!!!!

December 23, 2011 at 9:58 am
Laurel Presser

I would like it if you would still include verticle and horizontal scroll bars. I understand that we can pan across and up and down by grabbing the image with the mouse, but there are times, especially when I’m moving from one edge of the image to the other – for example, from the middle or bottom of a census page to the top to read the column headings – when it’s much easier to use a scroll bar than by grabbing and pulling.

If the scroll bars are, in fact, still there, I cannot see them

December 23, 2011 at 10:37 am
Long time member

The plain Advanced Viewer works better than your beta version. Much faster. Much clearer images. The scroll bars are there (but I don’t use them) as well as the little hand cursor which is very smooth and fast.

The little hand cursor in the beta version is jerky and slower. I have Windows XP and IE8.

December 23, 2011 at 9:07 pm
Carol A. H.

#3 Kelly:

This blog is from Ancestry.com, not the LDS Familysearch.org site. But Ancestry is guilty of bad family connecting in the old One World Trees.

Any other bad tree connections in Ancestry is the responsibility of the individual tree owners. Ancestry does *NOT* check for accuracy of trees. Neither does the LDS site. ALL IS UP TO THE USER TO CHECK FOR ACCURACY. DOCUMENT YOUR SOURCES YOURSELF. That’s what quality genealogy is all about. You do the research. Don’t copy blindly.

December 23, 2011 at 9:21 pm
Andy Hatchett

Kelly Re: #3

Ancestry is not and never has been the LDS. If that shows your level of research skills I’d Really love to get a crack at your tree- I’ll be I can find a minimum of 50 errors within an hour.

Now- I suggest you get back to your .. ahem… ‘research’

December 23, 2011 at 9:53 pm
BEE

Wishing everyone a Very Blessed Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, and a Very Happy, Healthy and Peaceful New Year!

December 24, 2011 at 6:26 am
BEE

The Image Viewer is great, but what a pain having to use the computer back button instead of a “return to” button on ancestry!
My wish for all continues to be a Very Happy, Healthy, Peaceful and Prosperous New Year!

December 29, 2011 at 10:47 am
swayaminfotech

Thanks for sharing….

January 2, 2012 at 4:01 am
Trevor Rix

I am still finding that the Beta Image Viewer is so slow that it is unusable. What is the minimum computer specification required to run the Beta Image Viewer as fast as the current Enhanced Viewer please?

January 3, 2012 at 7:35 pm
Monika

Happy New Year to you all! Not quite, quite on the same subject (what else is new? :-) ) I have, for weeks, had problems when printing a profile page. The data to the right (which lists the parents, spouses and children) is all “smooched” together. Called tech support. The first time they told me that they were aware of the problem and were working on it! The next time they asked me what browser I have (it was Internet Explorer 8). So, they suggested I switch to Firefox, which I did! The right side of my page still comes out all “smooched” together. Any advice?

January 5, 2012 at 12:49 am