Ancestry.com LIVE: How to Make That Key Find in 15 Minutes or Less

Posted by Nick Cifuentes on September 28, 2011 in Social Media

Short on time but long on questions? Join our experts for How to Make That Key Find in 15 Minutes or Less, our first-ever mid-day Q&A.

Our debut event will feature Ancestry Anne, a.k.a. Anne Mitchell, Sr. Search Product Manager at Ancestry.com, and genealogist Crista Cowan. They’ll point you to key resources packed with clues plus provide how-to tips for finding even more details at Ancestry.com. And come prepared with your questions: both Anne and Crista will be answering them live via Facebook to help you get past some of the most common stumbling blocks in online family history research.

How to Make That Key Find in 15 Minutes or Less starts at 1:00 p.m. Eastern (10:00 a.m. Pacific) TODAY (September 28) on the Ancestry.com LIVE Facebook tab.

To submit your question for the event, go to the Ancestry.com Facebook page at www.facebook.com/ancestry.com. Then select “Events” from the menu on the left and click on How to Make That Key Find in 15 Minutes … Or Less. Then post your question.

You’ll be able to view the event then by selecting “Livestream” from that same left-side menu.

By the way, if you can’t make it today, you can watch the taped event from the Livestream tab anytime. And stay tuned — this is just the first of many Q&As to come!

About our experts:

Anne Mitchell is a Senior Search Product Manager at Ancestry.com, an
active blogger on Ancestry.com and writes as Ancestry Anne for Ancestry.com newsletter. She has been chasing her ancestors through Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina for many years, and is pursuing her CG certification.

Crista Cowan is a professional genealogist and currently serves as the Community Alliance Manager for the Ancestry World Archives Project. Since starting with Ancestry.com in 2004, Crista has taught countless family history classes and online webinars, written articles for Ancestry.com publications and the Ancestry.com blog and has held the positions of European content acquisition manager, indexing manager and more.

Comments
1 Bonnie MorrisSeptember 28, 2011 at 9:53 am

any suggestions would be great. Cannot find any info on John before 1877.

I have looked 1875 censuses each page as well as 1860 and 1850 looking under wagoner or wagner to see if he lived close.

I have looked for Frances and unable to find any info before 1880 census.

told that we were irish, and letters dropped so i also looked under fitzmorris, morrison ect.

John Morris maybe middle initial of W or J
born 1829 New Jersey.
son Frances born 1860 New Jersey mom unknown
Married Lyda (lydia, liddie) Wagner or Wagoner 1877 and have ordered marriage lic.
children george e morris born 1878

John and lyda brought home in wall ny and still in family.
please help
bonnie

2 Jean PereraSeptember 28, 2011 at 11:58 am

Interesting. I was trying to watch the Livestream on Facebook and became very frustrated with the livestream cutting out and causing me to miss many of the comments. I turned it off. I went to the Ancestry blog and found I could hear and see the livestream from there so I am now listening to it from the blog. All the chat streaming at the bottom of the page is not there and I found that very distracting. Even with the glitches, I enjoyed the tips these two ladies shared. I’m sure it will get better with time.

3 Kimberly ChambersSeptember 28, 2011 at 12:53 pm

Kimberly Kaase-Chambers
Looking for help with my 2nd great grandfather Gottlieb Kaase. he was a stow away. he was born in Prussia in 1840 and died in Kileen texas 1915. we just had our 55th Kaase reunion and would love to have new information to share at our 56th reunion. I would love to find out who his parents and siblings are.

Just found out how to get on. Alittle confusing. But still looking for help.

4 Kimberly ChambersSeptember 28, 2011 at 12:55 pm

I’m now the president of my family reunion and looking for help with:

Just found out how to get on. A little confusing. But still looking for help.

5 Kimberly ChambersSeptember 28, 2011 at 1:00 pm

Oh well didn’t know I needed a chat account don’t have anymore time to figure it out got to go to work! :(
Kimberly

6 Dawn LegierSeptember 28, 2011 at 1:56 pm

This sounded really interesting and I’m sorry I missed it. It’s too bad the e-mail notification didn’t arrive until two and a half hours after it started. Would it be possible to perhaps announce future events a day in advance versus the day of?

7 Andy HatchettSeptember 28, 2011 at 7:05 pm

Ancestry should have a policy that events of this nature can’t be mentioned on FaceBook or Twitter by members of Ancestry Staff until *AFTER* an article about the event has been posted by a member of Ancestry Staff to *THIS BLOG!*

No ‘ifs’, ‘buts’, or ‘maybes’- period.

8 Andy HatchettOctober 1, 2011 at 3:19 pm

For those of you who missed out on our first ever Livestream broadcast this week, we have the replay ready to watch of “How to Make That Key Find in 15 Minutes or Less”, featuring Ancestry Anne, a.k.a. Anne Mitchell, Sr. Search Product Manager at Ancestry.com, and genealogist Crista Cowan. They pointed users to key resources packed with clues plus provided how-to tips for finding even more details at Ancestry.com. Watch the rebroadcast in its entirety here: http://ancstry.me/p7dhj9
Ancestry.com LIVE: How to Make That Key Find in

[...] first ever Ancestry LIVE broadcast. Were you watching? You can watch a replay by clicking to the Ancestry.com blog. Scroll down to the video section and click on How to Make That Key Find in 15 Minutes or Less. [...]