Family Tree Maker comes with a variety of default reports, and it also has a Custom Report that lets you mine your family tree for the information you’re interested in. Using it I’ve created family health histories, address lists, residency reports, and more. But the report I get asked about most often is a custom cemetery report. I first created one several years ago when I was planning a trip to a cemetery and wanted to take photos of tombstones for my family members buried there. The report helped me keep track of the photos I’d taken and also worked as a research resource to confirm (and contradict!) the facts I had in my tree.
Before you get started, you’ll want to make sure you’ve recorded burial and cemetery information the same way for all the individuals in your tree; otherwise, you report won’t necessarily include the correct individuals. In my tree I use the Description field in the Burial fact to record specific cemetery names.
- To create a cemetery report, start by opening the Custom Report (located on the Publish workspace under Person Reports).
- Click the Reset button (a blue arrow button next to the report’s title) to clear any previous settings.
- Click the Items to Include button (on the far left) in the reports toolbar. Now click the Add fact (+) button and add the Burial fact to the report. At this point, you can add any other facts to the report that you’d like. In this case we’ll stick with birth, marriage, death, and burial. Click OK when you’re finished.
Now we need to determine which individuals should be included in the report–the people who have been buried at a specific cemetery.
4. In Individuals to Include, click Selected Individuals. The Filter Individuals window opens.
6. Click All facts. In “Search where” choose the Burial fact and Description field. (If you’ve recorded cemetery information in a different fact you’ll choose that here.) In the next drop-down choose “Contains.” Then in the Value field, enter the name of the cemetery and click OK.
Now it’s your turn. Have you tried the custom report yet? If you have, how do you use it?