Announcing Your ALL-NEW Ancestry.com Monthly Newsletter

Posted by Jeanie Croasmun on July 8, 2011 in Ancestry.com Site

I’ll be honest, when I was first asked to edit the Ancestry.com monthly newsletter, I wasn’t quite sure what to think. It’s a fantastic means of communicating new content, enhancements and tools with you. But it’s an email, where everything should be quick and bite-sized. And family history, with detailed stories and individualized, custom research plans with instructions to match, simply isn’t. Plus, if you really want to have fun, you need to dive in deep and get to know your family and their past.

How could we convey all of this in a single, short email? By creating an all-new Ancestry.com monthly newsletter. And starting with this July 2011 issue, that’s exactly what we’ve done. It’s our first step in creating a newsletter that’s focused on the way YOU use Ancestry.com. Look in future months for even more news and content features that pertain directly to your family history, as well as detailed advice, quick links to past newsletter issues and a greater emphasis on how you approach research.

When you receive your new Ancestry.com newsletter, the first thing you’ll notice is that it’s a lot shorter. That’s our nod to its format – email. But don’t let that brevity trick you – we’ve designed it this way so you can quickly find what you’re looking for and click on a link to get details fast. The newsletter itself, however, is more packed than ever.

We’ve branded the feature article our Inside Scoop. This is where you’ll find the stories behind the records – everything from what we found in a collection to how the collection came to be, and then some. Because for years, all of us at Ancestry.com have known that getting a peek at a new record collection is like opening a big, cool present – and now we want to share with you the fun of whatever we discover inside.

But you don’t come to Ancestry.com just for the stories, which is why you’ll now find our highlighted new record collections featured front and center and with a quick link that will take you directly to an all-inclusive list of everything else that’s new on Ancestry.com.

Click on any featured content to immediately start searching that collection, or stick with your regular search routine, if you have one (I admit, I don’t – I search more on whims). Remember, even if you don’t search our new collections directly, a search of all of Ancestry.com always includes our newest records, too.

Because it never hurts to brush up on technique and be the first to know when there’s a new tool or trick that can help you, we’re dedicating an entire section of our newsletter to education – Tips & Tools.

It’s here that we’ll show you our latest site enhancements and give you a refresher course in family history how-to, too.

Plus, Ancestry Anne still loves to answer your questions. Her advice, insider search tips and answers are right where you’ve been finding them for the past year. By the way, she loves mail – reach her with your questions and comments (go ahead, send her the toughest ones) directly at ask@ancestry.com.

And we want to know what you think. Look for the Your Turn section for a link to take a short survey or even vote on something in each issue.

This month, we’re hoping you can help us name this brand new newsletter. Click on the Your Turn link in the bottom right corner of the email to help us decide what that name should be.

And, remember, this is YOUR newsletter. If you ever have any questions, comments, concerns or ideas about what you’d like to see in it, I’d love to know. You can contact me directly at jeanie@ancestry.com.

About Jeanie Croasmun
Jeanie Croasmun has been working at Ancestry.com while futilely attempting to prove the horse thief story in her family history for over seven years. During that time, she learned enough about her family to determine that the story is likely a great work of fiction. But the search continues ...

Comments
1 scwbcmJuly 8, 2011 at 3:05 pm

This sounds very promising. If you include names, please make them searchable and easy to refer back to. I would personally like to put in a request that you include material about migration patterns, that may apply to many people.

2 RAY RODRIGUEZJuly 8, 2011 at 3:43 pm

I would go with “Family Tree Sharing Words.”

3 Ed SpaansJuly 8, 2011 at 4:10 pm

I tried to download the Free Research guide and it does take me to a different page when I click on it (starting from your announcement on a new monthly newsletter, but then it’s is just dead. The back arrow is the only thing active on the page.

4 Jeanie CroasmunJuly 8, 2011 at 4:37 pm

Hi Ed:

Try this link, which will open the research guide PDF. http://link.ancestry.com/u.d?F4Gh6WfLkSSok_8Jcj3oI=18461

5 paul billsboroughJuly 8, 2011 at 5:31 pm

The civil war pension records are not complete. They should contain all the info including parents names, address, wife’s name, DOB, date of daeth, city & state person died, where buried & so on. I know that not all may be available, but according to what I have found out that it was per the Gov. that it was necessary to indicate all the info on the application for pension. Please check into this as it would help me find my gt. grandfather–John Harvey Russell. Thank you

6 jane (faris) alamedaJuly 8, 2011 at 5:32 pm

I’m relatively new at this, and will appreciate any help I can get. Thanks…..I look forward to your newsletter. jane a

7 Anne DavisonJuly 8, 2011 at 5:36 pm

Hi Jeanie:
Please tell us you still plan to continue with the “My Story” feature. I love it. In last month’s newsletter, you continued to ask for contributions to “My Story”, so I hope that means we can look forward to more stories from Ancestry members.
Anne

8 ZaraJuly 8, 2011 at 6:00 pm

Being here in the US with all my family from England it is getting way to expensive to send for documents to prove it is the person I am looking for or to get maiden names from marriage certificates. They will only send you an e-mail copy for (an extra charge) if you purchase the document via snail mail. The searches don’t give a whole lot of information so you need the documents. I am afraid this is too expensive for me to continue much further.

9 pattiJuly 8, 2011 at 6:26 pm

I have many photos that have been passed down for 8 generations or more most have no names some have photographers names on it but with them no longer in business how is the best way to track down names.I have one photo believed to be my 5th great grand father but since there is 5 members of the family with exactly the same name. I can not possitively identify the person any suggestions? has ancetry ever tried to track down old photographers and their records?

10 JoannJuly 8, 2011 at 6:31 pm

Functioning links would be a good start. NONE of the links I’ve clicked on in this newsletter have done anything.

11 Rose ScottJuly 8, 2011 at 6:34 pm

I am thinking of going back to Ancestry, but would like to know why I cannot find anyone that has been in the armed forces during World War 2. The only records I can find, are people who are buried in military cemetaries. I can find no record of anyone who has been in either the navy or marine corps. I can find registration for the draft of my grandfather, 1917, but no one from the forties.

12 Louise BlockerJuly 8, 2011 at 6:38 pm

New name wanted? How about “Common Treads”? We who use Ancestry.com are walking the same path: looking to find and connect with our ancestors. When we do, at least when I did find some of mine, the experience is like walking with them…the common tread.

13 JennJuly 8, 2011 at 6:40 pm

I am not sure what everyone is talking about – all the links work fine for me.

I think the newsletter looks beautiful. Keep up the good work!! Hope you got a little bit better feedback than the comments on this post!

14 Mary Meade LipetzJuly 8, 2011 at 6:45 pm

It was fun reading all of the comments by you and other followers. Mary

15 Jack SealsJuly 8, 2011 at 7:12 pm

It would be nice to have a site not directed so much toward the needs of Ancestry, but more toward making it easier for the casual user to find information without having to follow so many unrelated, unresponsive or confusing leads. The data base available to Ancestry appears not developed efficiently for general use. Your current explanation of changes for improvement contains no specifics which explains them.

16 Margaret HilbertJuly 8, 2011 at 7:49 pm

Why can’t I find the birth record of my great aunt MaryAnn Bradshaw born 1877 America according to England census 1881 onwards. Her father Patrick Bradshaw married Bridget Murray in 1868 Newcastle on Tyne I found Bridget’s death in June 1876 Worcester Worcester Massachusetts she died in childbirth but can’t find any record of the child, can’t find any record of Patrick and daughter returning to England where he married Catherine Sweeney in 1879 in Newcastle on Tyne they had several children. As an elderly pensioner it is difficult to keep for information with no results
Can you please help me my funds are now very low. Thank you

17 xandervanJuly 8, 2011 at 8:21 pm

How about a monthly column – every month, not randomly – where you discuss long-standing site bugs that are being actively fixed, with time-line to completion, and a list of future fixes, along with their priority standing. Now THAT is of interest to every Ancestry user, and that would be NEWS.

18 CeilJuly 8, 2011 at 8:44 pm

I’m here for you. LOL!. PARI has a new program this summer funded by the Michigan Humanities Council, an affiliate of the National Endowment for the Humanities. Please see: http://www.grandparents.eventbrite.com

Ceil

19 Andy HatchettJuly 8, 2011 at 9:09 pm

Xandervan Re: # 17

Excellent post! We are in complete agreement on this.

20 IleenJuly 8, 2011 at 9:34 pm

I second the vote for #17.

The links in this newsletter didn’t work for me, either. Apparently it depends on the browser being used. Please have someone check to make sure that the page works for all major browsers.

Ileen

21 Clara OwenJuly 8, 2011 at 9:38 pm

None of the links worked in this new monthly newsletter. I hope this can be fixed. Clara Owen

22 heather cullenJuly 8, 2011 at 9:45 pm

It would be nice if Ancestory would

a) get their facts and records correct ands

b) realise that not all live or are interested
in American Ancestory.
Also the links do not work.
I have advise Ancestory of mistakes made regardding my Grandparents – wrong date of death,
wrong cemetery, wrong plots. Info taken from correct information supplied – still not corrected!
Also applies to my ggg’father’s name – not spelt correctly. Could keep on goin but what’s the use.

23 william n fry IIIJuly 8, 2011 at 9:50 pm

sounds like fun. ill try for awhile. do you have connections to dar library in d c ? i have alot of information on the fry family from rev time till now

24 Sally ShaneJuly 8, 2011 at 9:51 pm

Name Suggestion for Newsletter: “Tapestries of Life”

25 Ida PruittJuly 8, 2011 at 10:01 pm

none of the links on this issue link to anything

26 Say what???July 8, 2011 at 11:19 pm

Links don’t work.

27 Beverley PritchettJuly 8, 2011 at 11:26 pm

Re correcting Ancestry records. Everyone I have notified them of has been corrected. Thank you from future users.

28 dklartJuly 8, 2011 at 11:44 pm

Links don’t (and aren’t meant to) work because the blog is NOT the newsletter.

29 Dianna PressonJuly 9, 2011 at 12:53 am

Unable to open any of the links.

30 Amanda WalkerJuly 9, 2011 at 1:30 am

Links worked just fine for me, no problem. I think this is a great idea. Not quite sure why so much complaining is going on. I do however agree with one of the comments made. Not everyone wants information on American records and such. I am a member of Ancestry Australia and would love to see more information from here. Also I ancestors in European countries other than the UK, how about spreading the information around. Otherwise love the new newsletter and the website!

31 PatJuly 9, 2011 at 2:17 am

The idea is good (maybe “great”). What is the cost to subscribe?

32 NormanJuly 9, 2011 at 2:29 am

There is so much info re soldiers but hardly any re the navy. Could not the Navy Lists be put on line please?

33 Ernest HattonJuly 9, 2011 at 3:10 am

Links are working.

34 James J. MunroeJuly 9, 2011 at 3:19 am

I like your news letter and format. My dearest wish is that the complete island of Ireland be included in the research items, being made available,as I live now in England, there is limited information available through Ancestry.co.uk.or info. on how to access this through your column. James.

35 JohnJuly 9, 2011 at 3:46 am

Love Ancestry.com. In the past I subscribed to Genline, Swedish and costly. Am happy to hear that Ancestry.com will soon include Genline. As I don’t speak swedish and my stateside relatives are passed it is hard to make sense of last names. I have a 2nd cousin in Sweden who speaks little english so I make lots of mistakes, through no fault of hers just that I don’t know enough Swedish to comprend. Ancestry keep up the good work, bet you get me educated. Thanks

36 Sam MooreJuly 9, 2011 at 4:04 am

None of the links on the newsletter are working.

37 Stanley WeidenhammerJuly 9, 2011 at 5:03 am

Do you realize how hard it is becoming to get information from states. It PA where I live they have made it so hard that I don’t bother trying anymore. Is there a way to get around this problem?

38 Debbie RouseJuly 9, 2011 at 5:41 am

Newsletter name suggestion: ROOTS

I love Ancestry!!

39 GeorgeJuly 9, 2011 at 5:45 am

I second Comment #36 (Sam)… “None of the links on the newsletter are working.” Thus it makes the purpose of your “New”sletter pointless!

All the “new” searchable information sound like great sources, but not very useful, if one can not access them.

40 CarrieJuly 9, 2011 at 7:08 am

How about “Past Times” as a title for the newsletter?
Living in Britain I have found that there are huge “gaps” in information pre the 1837 Census due to many Parishes still not making their records available on line (and thus not available via Ancestry). This not only makes it hard to trace family members but also devalues membership of Ancestry. Is there any way Ancestry could link up with the missing Parishes and help them to automate their records? as I’m sure it would be of great value to audiences worldwide and may lead to an increase in membership to Ancestry.com.

41 Dottie CJuly 9, 2011 at 7:38 am

I really, really, really miss Ancestry Magazine. I was able to read it wherever I would go. Since my desktop doesn’t fit in my handbag I can’t read it on the train or share it with older folks who don’t have a computer. I can’t write notes, I can’t use a highlighter, I can’t mark tabs on the computer version. I thought I’d get used to the e-version, but as time goes by I miss that magazine more and more. I know you’ll never bring it back, but curling up to a desktop computer can’t compare to curling up under a warm blanket to read. Too bad.

42 Jean Cole TaylorJuly 9, 2011 at 7:41 am

Re: Rose Scott’s question about military names.
It may be that the records you want were burned in a fire in a records warehouse. I think there is an article about that on Ancestry. Many mentions online about it. Wish you luck!

43 Ancestry world collection | Luxe4youJuly 9, 2011 at 8:04 am

[...] Announcing Your ALL-NEW Ancestry.com Monthly Newsletter [...]

44 Allene DotsonJuly 9, 2011 at 8:45 am

I would rather have a straight sequence of articles rather than click on this and click on that and chase down this and chase down that. It’s easier to read and keep up with. It’s frustrating to keep clicking on this and that for the rest of the story, especially when they do not work. It seems to me that links are more pitching sales than conveying information. Access to information would be easier without the links. Just put the information on the website.

45 james RossJuly 9, 2011 at 8:54 am

Love ancestry. Most problems getting information are mine, not reading directions or in a hurry.
As I add pictures to my media center I would like to move them around is theres a way?
Is there a way of sending a e mail to all the family trees at once that are about the same person ? Ancestry is doing a great job and evolving thanks

46 Paris GartersJuly 9, 2011 at 9:02 am

This sounds really great! Unfortunately, I don’t get your newsletter mailings. I am signed up for them and I have called on the phone and confirmed that I am signed up for them, but I never get them. I do get other mailings from you frequently (new additions to your trees, we’ve found hints, etc.). So my question is, can this be accessed on the site for those of us who don’t get it via email?????

47 dklartJuly 9, 2011 at 9:09 am

ATTN: Jeanie Croasmun

Many responding on this blog post do not understand this is NOT the newsletter. It’s an EXAMPLE of the how the new and improved newsletter looks.

Has the July 2011 Newsletter been sent? I, for one haven’t received it (and yes, my settings are set to receive the newsletter).

48 Kenneth MorleyJuly 9, 2011 at 9:11 am

I like your new approach, it is very informative and I look forward to your continuation and updates.

49 DOUG SHAWJuly 9, 2011 at 9:52 am

I LIKE WHAT YOU ARE DOING. I ALSO AGREE WITH NUMBER 17S COMMENT. I LOVE THE NAME TAPESTRIES FOR LIFE.

DOUG

50 John WagnerJuly 9, 2011 at 9:56 am

As for a name, keep it simple:
Ancestry.com Monthly Newsletter

As for the content, keep it simple:
Limit the stories and clean up the records. You people have done a great job improving Census records and indexes but Immigration access leaves much to be desired, A number of years ago I found my gggf in Imigration records; lost the citation and never found it again.

I agree with #7 Zara the costs are stretching our needs and ability

51 Carol SwansonJuly 9, 2011 at 10:08 am

I’m still not certain about this being an improvement but in meantime- new title could be THE LINK (subtitle to your past…)

52 Wayne HendsbeeJuly 9, 2011 at 11:09 am

I enjoy the newsletter, but would like to see a bit more Canadian content. I realize that most of your members are American, but we Canadians pay our dues also. Unfortunately, being on a fixed income, I cannot afford the world access.

53 Marcia Fay CobbJuly 9, 2011 at 11:28 am

As a senior I’m also having trouble paying for the Deluxe World membership (which I love), so I had to drop my membership. Just a thought–maybe those of us who have had meen members for a certain number of years could receive a discount. Thank you.

54 SharonJuly 9, 2011 at 11:52 am

For two days I have not had any “Recent Member Connect Activity”. Everyday there is a member connect so I don’t know what is going on anyone else having this problem?

55 Alan BatchelderJuly 9, 2011 at 12:25 pm

Nice idea. Welcome innovation.

But your announcement of new access to war records seems from my experience to be useless. To get a result, your format asks for birth date and “event” undefined and therefore quite useless. the birth date is often unknown for Revolutionary veterans. while the death date is much more often known, but your format gives no opportunity to enter that date. I am sorry to have been invited to waste my time on this offering.

56 barbara PetersJuly 9, 2011 at 12:48 pm

Search our new collections does not work.
Nothing happens.

57 Ann MarciniakJuly 9, 2011 at 1:22 pm

58 JadeJuly 9, 2011 at 2:10 pm

Jeanie you said “And, remember, this is YOUR newsletter.” No it most definitely is not. It is Ancestry.com’s newsletter.

When I noticed a couple of mistaken statements a few months back, I noticed it was no longer possible for readers to make comments that would appear ~on~ the issue publication site. What is the point of sending an email that no one else will ever see except maybe the editor? When was a correction ever published?

59 Gwen CronkiteJuly 9, 2011 at 2:10 pm

My suggestion for the News Letter is BRANCHES & LEAVES…. I LOVE ANCESTRY.COM.

60 JadeJuly 9, 2011 at 2:19 pm

#5 Paul,

Ancestry.com does not have Union Civil War Pension Files on its site and only posted what was on (mot of) the application file index cards (quite a few are missing, though).

Most Civil War soldiers did not ever live in a city.

The Pension Office did not ask for any information about parents of Civil War veterans. Date of the veteran’s birth was asked for if he requested an increase based on age. The Pension Office did not ask for place of burial.

61 BetsyJuly 9, 2011 at 3:01 pm

I also love Ancestry.com I am REALLY new at this, and feel most times I am running in circles, not even sure if I’m doing it right :) or don’t know where to look, like getting birth record or certificate, is that an online thing? Because all I see are links to towns etc wanting money, and as with others, I cant do that.

Also….please please please do an update so we/I can use the toolbar, I have Foxfire & toolbar access isn’t compatible. I would really love to use that, Foxfire is now at 5.0 upgrade & Ancestry is still at 3.0 I don’t want to uninstall anything to use another browser. I have emailed on this, and get same answer, that “we are working on this” I’m sure it would make things a little easier for me.

I look forward to possibly using the toolbar in the near future.

And I too like: “Tapestries of Life” for new name.

62 JoanJuly 9, 2011 at 3:11 pm

I wish Ancestry.com could try to post more recent census records (rather than wait ten years for the next one). California (and possibly other states) make available (online) all birth, marriage, divorce records of people who are still alive, so why do we have to wait for census records to be published? They would definitely help to further our research.

63 JoanJuly 9, 2011 at 3:15 pm

I would call the newsletter “Tools and Tips”.

64 Dianne Rush GardellJuly 9, 2011 at 3:36 pm

I tried the free plan and I was not able to find anything. I always endedat a page that should you what you might see on a census but not any censuses! I don’t feel comfortable paying what little funds I have when I can’t navigate your site.I do have a comPleted census for the Rush side done ma y years ago but parts are not correct and on your site I can not find or connect the wives families .your site is just not user friendly , believe me I’m not stupid I Facebook twitter and word blog this should not be hard when you have to pay so much for puic records!

65 Dianne Rush GardellJuly 9, 2011 at 3:39 pm

I tried the free plan and I was not able to find anything. I always endedat a page that should you what you might see on a census but not any censuses! I don’t feel comfortable paying what little funds I have when I can’t navigate your site.I do have a comPleted census for the Rush side done ma y years ago but parts are not correct and on your site I can not find or connect the wives families .your site is just not user friendly , believe me I’m not stupid I Facebook twitter and word blog this should not be hard when you have to pay so much for public records!

66 DonJuly 9, 2011 at 3:55 pm

Without sounding quite as condescending as others, one reason the “links” don’t work is because they may (like I did myself) have clicked onto the first link up at the top of the email, which brought you to this page with the comments–and those links don’t work. Going back to the original email I opened, the links provided at the bottom of the mail itself worked just fine–just a suggestion for any frustrated about that. As to any name, without getting too prosy, I like “Links” “Ancestral Links” “Ancestry Links”… something that would suggest linking together along with the reference to possible links that might be useful in searching.

67 Ella Beth DeLageJuly 9, 2011 at 4:30 pm

I did not even know you have a newsletter. How do I get it? I did get the Ancestry magazine but did not know what happened to it. I would like to receve the newsletter.

68 B. GillmerJuly 9, 2011 at 5:34 pm

I wanted to suggest a name for the Newsletter, but when I click on “Your Turn” I am not able to proceed.

My suggestion is “Sharing the Past”

69 JadeJuly 9, 2011 at 7:00 pm

#62 Joan, you said “I wish Ancestry.com could try to post more recent census records (rather than wait ten years for the next one). California (and possibly other states) make available (online) all birth, marriage, divorce records of people who are still alive, so why do we have to wait for census records to be published?”

By federal law, US Census enumerations are not released for public view until 72 years have passed. Neither Ancestry.com nor any other outfit could obtain images and make them available until the end of that time period, for a given US Census. What California does with vital records has nothing at all to do with what the US Congress has decided.

Each State has its own legislation on release or availability of data it collects on residents.

70 GeorgiaJuly 9, 2011 at 8:19 pm

Never got an Ancestry Magazine or any other newsletters, but I am looking forward to receiving the new ones. I think any means that might help even a bit is great. I mostly “bumble” around searching here and there, but recently have been very happy on ancestry.com on new discoveries. Its interesting that some family lines are easier to get info than others. I guess that may depend on what state they’re from? I hope you can explain some of the basics that I’ve never learned…like how do you make a timeline for you person or family? How do you use the Key word/s “thingee” to get better information or provide better information on a person? How do I get this newsletter and is there a fee?
Georgia

71 GeorgiaJuly 9, 2011 at 8:25 pm

I just wanted to say that I am interested in American History. I don’t know how to find info on my ancestors who fought in any war…such as what unit did they fight in and who was their commanding officers? What battles did those units fight in so I could find out more of what their lives were like? How do you search the Sons or Daughters of the Revolution’s applications to get information…so far all I have seen was the name of the applicant for the Sons of the Revolutionary War. Where do I search for enlistment papers and discharges? I have one ancestor who I found out recently had died in a dungeon as a prisoner in the Revolutionary War…how do I find a record for that?

Thanks for any ideas or help on these things in your newsletter.

Georgia

72 GeorgiaJuly 9, 2011 at 8:32 pm

OK, I’ll just ask one more question….as you can see I’m full of questions. My grandfather was a sailor during World War I and I have the names of the ships he served on…is there a site that may tell about those ships or even have photos of them?
Ooops, I just thought of another, and I promise to stop there…..is there a place to go to find out what the Navy interpretation of things are…like what is a coxswain?…I think its the one who steered the ship, but I really don’t know…what are all those titles of sailors and soldiers and a description of their duties? Thanks for the opportunity to ask….

Georgia

73 Shirley SandersJuly 9, 2011 at 9:19 pm

I Like the new format.I’m really excited about what Ancestry is providing for us researchers and the help offered so promptly when needed.Thanks…
The best research site available.

74 SuzanneJuly 9, 2011 at 9:31 pm

Why keep changing names? Ancestry.com newsletter says exactly what it is.
In today’s economy, I can’t afford subscriptions any more but when I did have them I got very annoyed with the search engine. It didn’t matter if I specified the name, gender and location: Ancestry gave me thousands of possibilities that had nothing to do with the parameters I input. I would really like to see improvement in that area.

75 ValerieJuly 9, 2011 at 11:46 pm

I keep trying the link for voting on the name but it doesn’t work. Just goes to a page with that same pic on it and no workable link.

76 Ron VaughanJuly 10, 2011 at 5:26 am

Greetings:

I sure like the monthly newsletter and new format etc. I appreciate your efforts.

Ron Vaughan

77 Dan HoffmanJuly 10, 2011 at 7:01 am

Looking forward to these newly formatted e-mails. Okay, I think most of us are searching for angles on how to do a better genealogy job. Sometimes, as in the arts, just tilting the angle slightly or looked at from a new perspective, helps see things more helpfully or differently. So, my proposal for the name of the new product is: Angles or Ancestry Angles.

78 cjwalker1934@sbcglobal.netJuly 10, 2011 at 9:03 am

I had photos on here of my Grandfather and now they are gone and i wanted to save them, because i do not have the money to go through all this, Where are my pictures of my grandfather John Franklin Bowers

79 John WagnerJuly 10, 2011 at 9:12 am

For #72 Georgia
For navy ships, go to google (or search engine) and type name ex USS Texas. I’m sure this will do it.

80 AileenJuly 10, 2011 at 4:19 pm

I love the new look! It is so much easier to find what I’m interested in and then follow the link to the relevant page. I miss “My Story”, though, and the picture featured at the bottom of the newsletters. They were a great reminder of how personal ancestry is, and that it is not all forms, records, and links. And, when someone else gave a hint (featured in the old sidebar) it often was a valuable hint I could use, even though I’ve been researching for 45 years. Otherwise, it’s a great new newsletter!

81 Helen ClaringboldJuly 10, 2011 at 8:49 pm

Passing on encouragement to include as many comprehensive records, links, information, records etc for all of Ireland. This can be as simply as link inclusion.
The difficulties in researching and obtaining substantive documents about Irish relatives can prove extremely difficult and expensive.
The new format enews I look forward to becoming familiary with but would also enjoy being drawn back to useful resources from time to time.
Many thanks and keep up the good work.

82 SleuthJuly 11, 2011 at 1:36 am

Your attention is invited to the current Ancestry Newsletter that is emailed to subscribers. The link to another screen to read the full articles or reader comments works properly for the first screen only. Thereafter, when attempting to access the detailed reader comments, those are commingled with comments from other articles, and sometimes with comments from previous issues of the newsletter. There is no way to determine which comments belong with which article. This topic has been broached several times through the reader comments link to bring attention to the problem, but to no avail. Please fix this before you debut your brand new newsletter.

If it is broken, it needs to be fixed sooner, rather than later. Thank you.

83 dklartJuly 11, 2011 at 11:24 am

I just received the July newsletter today, 11 Jul 2011.

The improvement mission appears to be to shorten the length of it. That’s accomplished, however I don’t see that as an improvement. I like to be able to scan through the letter and see all content on one page.

Call it what it is, Ancestry.com Monthly Newsletter.

If there’s a place where the the Newsletters are archived, I don’t see it readily. There should be a listing for a Newsletter Archive under Categories (see the listing of on the right side of this page).

There should be a Newsletter Archive listed.

Categories
* Company News
* Events
* Expert Connect
* Family Tree Maker
* Mobile
* Stories
* Who Do You Think You Are?
* World Archives Project

Change the name of the ARCHIVES on this page (below CATEGORIES) to BLOG ARCHIVES

84 Jeanie CroasmunJuly 11, 2011 at 11:53 am

Hi all:

If you’ve not received the newsletter via your email, try this link to take you to an online version, where you should find the same content including working links to the various newsletter sections and features: http://ancestry.com/amu-2011-07

Also, if you’re not receiving the newsletter, you can sign up to receive it via the My Account link in the top right corner of the Ancestry.com site. Select “email settings” then check “Ancestry Monthly Update” in the Ancestry.com Newsletter section.

85 Stephanie PoundsJuly 11, 2011 at 12:48 pm

I’m usually one to try to embrace the new, but for this one, I like the old better. The email used to make me aware of lots of new or obscure collections that I might not have found in my regular searching. The blurbs for each would stir something and I would quickly go look for an ancestor in one or the other. But “See All Of Our New Collections?” Eh, I can do that later–if I remember. The value add that you gave me before–the quick blurbs right in front of me–have disappeared.

86 jeannieJuly 11, 2011 at 1:50 pm

87 jeannieJuly 11, 2011 at 1:53 pm

This is my first monthly. I tried to read ask Anne on the email version. It blew away. The download doeant contain Ask Anne (a reply). This piece was the most interesting of all the items. Shame.
Also found none of the links work.

88 SleuthJuly 11, 2011 at 3:13 pm

Attn: Jeanie Croasmun

I think you might have a different perspective on whether or *not* the links are working for comments on articles continued on another screen if you would follow your link above to pull up the new newsletter and click on the link for the next screen. At the bottom of the page are excerpts of reader comments. Try clicking on Read All Comments and then follow through by clicking the page numbers for at least 3 or 4 pages and see what happens. A rehash of comments from previous newsletters and other articles are commingled and not identifiable to the appropriate article commented on. The links are *not* working properly.

89 Sandy Leeds JenkinsJuly 11, 2011 at 3:56 pm

I cannot open any of the links.

90 BarbaraJuly 11, 2011 at 6:27 pm

Thank you Jeanie for the link to the newsletter.

I have never received email newsletters from Ancestry and I didn’t receive this one even though my email settings are set to receive them. I don’t think it is a problem with my ISP and I do receive other emails from Ancestry.

91 Pat SecordJuly 12, 2011 at 4:55 am

I’m wondering if I’m missing something? This is the NEW newsletter? The only thing new I see are colored pictures…and none of the fun and interesting extra stuff that used to be along the right-hand sidebar. It’s missing many of the personal articles/questions. Frankly, it’s boring.

92 SusanJuly 12, 2011 at 7:08 am

My links are working.

93 Linda JenceviceJuly 12, 2011 at 11:26 am

I recently canceled my subscription. Overall I am very dissatisfied with Ancestry/Family Tree Maker.

I am very disappointed in the search engines/programmers for both the help and the people search. You receive inappropriate information in great quantities, which is a waste of time and leads to a great deal of frustration.

Hints are suggested on a limited basis, not on the entire list of names within a tree. Those hints are not always found within searches.

Marriage information does not include the spouse in the compilation mode.

Sources are lost or not attached appropriately. Media has to be retrieved separately by the user and, often times does, not download at all.

Blurred images not placed at same magnification for non enhanced viewing and lengthy delay of clarification.

Family Tree Maker 2011 was flawed when it was released. Constant Program Crashes… Not responding… compact performed by user not automatically performed by the computer program.

You at Ancestry have a chance to offer the world a great deal of information; however, I feel you need to concentrate all your efforts on fixing what you have instead of creating new ways to confuse people.

Also it wouldn’t hurt to have one FAIR price for ALL your services.

94 sleuthJuly 12, 2011 at 4:12 pm

Trying to communicate with staff via this blog is futile. Previous blogs have had moderators commenting throughout the intermittent blog topics to provide answers and to follow up on concerns. I don’t see that happening in this instance. If it is broken, don’t bother reporting such because ACOM takes its own sweet time in addressing the problem, if they ever do. You are referred to Comment #13 above.

Specifically, I have been rechecking the Ancestry Anne article in the latest newsletter and the “Read All Comments” area. If anyone on staff would take the time to actually check out the problems identified here, they would see that what first appears to be 1-3 pages of comments suddenly becomes 1-16 pages of comments and hopscotches back and forth, sometimes repeating or omitting pages. This also occurs for the “Read All Comments” area for other articles.

Comment #91 above about the newsletter becoming *boring* without the Family History Tips and other sidebar articles is right on target. Compound that with inaccessible reader comments or those tagged to the inappropriate article and it becomes *annoying.*

This newsletter could fulfill many reader interests if if were used as an index page of links to reach interesting linked articles and information. The *key* is having links that *work.* Are you listening ACOM?

95 oakley sunglassesJuly 12, 2011 at 9:22 pm

My boyfriend’s birthday is coming up in three days (short notice, … I’m actually a fan of Costal Del Mar, but I do like Oakleys too, The Best Oakley Lenses For Baseball. When shopping for Oakley sunglasses sale, it is important to know what type of lenses suit your needs and Keep your eye on the ball with these Special Edition Oakley Major League Baseball Sunglasses. With a Collector’s Edition Oakley MLB Box and Never Before …

96 gengirlJuly 13, 2011 at 6:48 am

What was wrong with the old format?

97 PearladyJuly 13, 2011 at 9:05 am

Name suggestion “Missing Links”

98 RosaJuly 14, 2011 at 7:09 am

I love Ancestry.com, it very helpful. I have noticed many helpful positive comments. As many of you who have been researching for very long, it is a very long and tedious process. Helping process this info and getting it to this site is very time consuming and you have to read sometimes illegible and hand writing or faded documents. The people who do this are sometimes volunteers. There is a lot of info yet to be processed. History did not happen overnight and you will not discover it overnight. Be patient with this site, like all sites it has bugs. For those who may wish to give it up, maybe ask some one else to help you until you can afford it, many do this just for fun and are kind and willing to help!

99 Dr. James HolmesJuly 15, 2011 at 3:23 pm

I have tried to contact you without success. Please advise.
Dr. James Holmes

100 Georgia R. LunsfordJuly 16, 2011 at 8:01 am

What about “Silver Threads” for the News Letter?

101 BevJuly 16, 2011 at 2:18 pm

I agree with #34,52,and53. Access to Records for Northern Ireland and Scotland are impossible to get. I am Canadian and appreciate more Canadian content. But it is wonderful, I found 3 brothers, I didn’t know about. Thanks. Keep up the good work.

102 RebeccaJuly 16, 2011 at 8:33 pm

#41-I agree with you 100%. I’ve been a member for years and I never understood why they stopped the magazine. Not everyone has a computer or the latest technology and you can’t take a computer everywhere with you, but you can a magazine. It was a bad decision. They need to start it back up.

103 BEEJuly 17, 2011 at 6:26 am

Why is the sunglasses spam still on this blog?

104 Barbara KayeJuly 17, 2011 at 6:20 pm

I just went to the Ancestry website and read the July newsletter. All the links worked there and it looks as if this may be an improvement — I’m certainly going to give it a chance. I’ve decided that I really MUST do the on-line tutorials to find a better approach to finding information on family members that I’ve not been able to discover. Hopefully that and the new and/or updated records can help me trace more of my family.

105 BroMaelorJuly 18, 2011 at 4:13 am

Ancestry, isn’t it time you checked the postings on your Blog and removed all of the SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM
We really don’t want to read it.
And why not allow posting to paid subscribers ONLY, which will stop the spammers posting in the first place????

106 kelly hendersonJuly 21, 2011 at 12:17 am

I want a way to merge the files of the same person. Many times I mistakenly add a person I already have and id love to merge them somehow.

107 newton trickieJuly 22, 2011 at 4:38 am

Any chance of a UK based email for UK users?