Posted by on April 19, 2011 in Ancestry.com Site, Company News, Mobile, Site Features

Ancestry app for iPad iPhoneI’m excited to announce that the Ancestry mobile app for iPhone, iPad, and iPod has been downloaded over 1 million times! Many of you are finding the app to be a great way to interact with your family tree on Ancestry.com, share records and photos with others (I’ve personally really enjoyed sitting down with my relatives to look at historical photos together on the iPad), and take your research with you on the go.

Although we’re thrilled to hit the 1-million-download milestone, I think this is really just the beginning for our mobile initiatives.  Not only is there so much more we can do with our existing app for Apple mobile devices, but we also have early plans in place for an Android app coming up on the horizon, as well as ideas around supporting Ancestry.com on other mobile devices.

We’re pleased that our users find such satisfaction in using the Ancestry app to learn more about and share their family genealogy.  I’d love to get more of your feedback on how we can improve the app, so please post comments with your ideas.

Michel Bryson

I would LOVE an app for Android! If you need a tester, particularly one who’s new to Android and to apps (to test usability), but familiar with the Ancestry site, let me know. . . I’ll look out for updates ;-)

April 19, 2011 at 5:00 pm
Melissa Cheuvront

Yes, I would love to see an app for Android as well. I changed from an iPhone to a Droid. Let us know!!

April 19, 2011 at 5:14 pm
Scott

I’m sure there is no need to drive the point home any more, but yes…ANDROID app…quickly. Please. I know with software development its never easy to give definitive dates, but a general idea on when its should be here (approx) would be great. Will it beat out the arrival of the 1940 Census? I need to know which to covet the most. Ha!

April 19, 2011 at 6:00 pm
Cynthia Brunetti

Android Please!!!

April 19, 2011 at 6:04 pm
Diana

I can only echo the Android pleas…and I LOVE Scott’s question, how does the time frame look compared to the 1940 census??

April 19, 2011 at 7:22 pm
Tom

I’ve been anxiously waiting for the Android app. So often it seems I’m away from home when the discussion turns to the family tree. It will be so convenient to connect immediately.

April 19, 2011 at 8:17 pm
Eileen Ingram

I’ve entered my credit card information 3 times and I still can’t get into anything.

April 19, 2011 at 8:48 pm
David F. Klein

Looking for an Android version!!!!!

April 19, 2011 at 9:03 pm
Susan

I love the app and use it on both my iPhone and iPad. When out visiting family it has been great to check facts and show them some of the great documents and pictures I have found along the way.
It has gotten more of the family interested in the search.

April 20, 2011 at 6:09 am
Brian

ANDROID next please!

April 20, 2011 at 7:35 am
Walter Anderson

I have a DROID X and would find an Ancestry app a good companion for the findagrave app I have.

April 20, 2011 at 8:47 am
Ralph Newton

I have been a member of Ancestry Com for many, many years. I recently received an I Pad 2. I acquired the Ancestry app. I can not get past the Kennedy info. I have written to Ancestry. No reply. I have been a member for such a long time I may be entering the wrong password. What to do???

April 20, 2011 at 10:37 am
Susan Florio

Please say the Android app is coming very soon! :-\

April 20, 2011 at 11:13 am
Ben Clark

Really looking forward to the Android version!

April 20, 2011 at 11:25 am
dklart

Ralph #12,

Do you have a tree on the ACOM site?

How about trying to log into Ancestry.com site from a computer or iPad (using a browser to access the site)? If that works, then you should be able to log into the site from your Ipad (ACOM mobile app) with the same username and password.

April 20, 2011 at 11:47 am
Jeff Jahn

Had some questions on the app that i cant seem to find. How much memory does it take up? Is the info downloaded or just a way to view the online info, meaning you have to have wifi or such access?

April 20, 2011 at 12:21 pm
Paul S. Elliott

I’m echoing the previous comments regarding the Android. An Ancestry.com APP for the Android would be very nice !!

April 20, 2011 at 12:32 pm
SAS

Windows Phone 7 app please would be nice, the new layout in this OS would look great with a tree app.

April 20, 2011 at 1:34 pm
Jon Shallop

re iPhone app: Nice that you have this app but it is NOT compatible with thousands of us who are using an iPhone with 3.0 software on a version 3 phone which cannot be upgraded. Did anyone at Ancestry thinks of this when the app was developed. too bad you have decided to leave so many of us out of the loop.My laptop and iAMC are doing just fine.

Jon Shallop FTMM beta tester

April 20, 2011 at 5:25 pm
Cheryl Nagel

I love my Ancestry app for my Ipad. I am not always at my computer so I can keep researching with my I-pad. I would highly recommend this app to everyone!

April 20, 2011 at 5:37 pm
Douglas Price

Did you know that Android outsells iPhone in the U.S.?

April 20, 2011 at 6:50 pm
Cassandra Ellis

yes, please get an android app.

April 21, 2011 at 5:32 am
Linda Irvin-Craig

I just want to know why I can no longer get a relevant search based on exact data that I enter. I have a 1778 date request and get census records offered in the 20th century.

April 21, 2011 at 3:21 pm
Eileen Gofney

Yes Android Please. I would love to be a beta tester!

April 21, 2011 at 4:30 pm
Monty Ives

I’m excited about the excitement over the app and the one million downloads! ACOM Rocks! Please take care of Eileen Ingram (above) as I am an ACOM stockholder, and each newbie is very important to me! Cheers! and we love Ancestry!!!!!!!!!

April 21, 2011 at 5:01 pm
dklart

#23 Linda Irvin-Craig

There is an active and recent thread on the message boards about the search function. It is titled “Exact search in Old Search”.

April 21, 2011 at 6:29 pm
deedlegirl

Almost make me want to get a IPhone but I just don’t want to pay the extra charge each month… Guess I will stick with my PDA… Enjoy everyone.

April 21, 2011 at 6:46 pm
Lisa Barrett

I got the app for iPhone when it first came out and didn’t think much of it. Just updated it and now it is awesome!!! Great job!

April 22, 2011 at 11:38 am
DNewGA

Another eager Android user here.

April 22, 2011 at 2:55 pm
John

I am really curious, if your international research will ever venture into Mexico. I have family both in Europe and Mexico. With the exception of immigration documentation found using the ancestry website, its impossible to research hispanic orgin, especially since most hispanic ancestry from mexico will lead back to spain.

April 22, 2011 at 7:46 pm
Craig Morrison

Congrats…now put out an Android version and add an additional 25 million downloads

Whatever Apple is paying you to lock out the other formats can’t possibly outweigh having a much larger reach past the iPhone…Android is such a bigger and better platform.

April 23, 2011 at 10:37 am
Nancy

Dorid user here, please let us know if the app is in the works for us. Thanks

April 23, 2011 at 12:20 pm
Betty-Anne

So you make a wish contest is for only those living in the USA and leaves out all those who had relatives during the Civil War who are not residents of the USA.

April 23, 2011 at 2:11 pm
Kevin

An android app that syncs with FTM 2011 would be really awesome!!

April 23, 2011 at 5:17 pm
Randy Gentry

Finally! I’ve been waiting for the Android app ever since I got my phone in Jan. 2010. Can’t wait.

April 23, 2011 at 10:32 pm
jeff jahn

Let me be the first to ask for a blackberry playbook app :)

April 24, 2011 at 11:19 am
Cookie

Please give us the Android app asap!!! Just what I have been missing… Millions of games and other apps out there, but nothing that would make me this happy!!

April 24, 2011 at 12:30 pm
Lorri E

I would really be interested in the Android App. Especially if a version would also be available in the new Nook Apps for the Barnes & Noble NookColor.

April 25, 2011 at 3:34 pm
Sandy Harrison

I would also love to see an android app. Not everyone has an iPhone or iPad.

April 25, 2011 at 6:27 pm
ManorBorn

#40, ross lehman,

What don’t you understand about a 14 day free trial? Where’s the rip-off? The Terms and Conditions to sign up for the free trial are clear. If it’s not something you wish to do, you’re free to choose not to.

The reason a CC is required for the 14 day free trial, is to prevent free-loaders like you from signing up for 2-week free trial every 2-weeks.

April 26, 2011 at 9:25 am
Annette Rendont

Android!

April 27, 2011 at 8:04 pm
Larrie

I heard the apple app is great. I am looking forward to the Android app!

April 30, 2011 at 11:44 am
Marion

Android requests approaching the 50 mark in this comment thread! PLEASE! We are obviously an enthusiastic bunch.

May 3, 2011 at 10:42 am