Season finale of Who Do You Think You Are? tonight at 8/7c on NBC

Posted by Jeanie Croasmun on April 8, 2011 in Who Do You Think You Are?

Just about everyone knows a family tale – but how many of us have discovered if the ones in our own family are true? That’s what actress Ashley Judd sets out to do on tonight’s season finale of Who Do You Think You Are? She starts with the story of an imprisoned Civil War veteran then moves back in time to uncover the details of her family’s very influential New England connection. Ancestry.com is a sponsor of the show. You can watch a preview at www.nbc.com/who-do-you-think-you-are. And be sure to visit www.ancestry.com/whodoyouthinkyouare for details about how you can dig into the truth behind your own family’s stories.

About Jeanie Croasmun
Jeanie Croasmun has been working at Ancestry.com while futilely attempting to prove the horse thief story in her family history for over seven years. During that time, she learned enough about her family to determine that the story is likely a great work of fiction. But the search continues ...

Comments
1 Carol PiperApril 8, 2011 at 6:13 pm

As I write I have the TV on your program “Who do you think you Are?”. I am a member of Ancestry.com and enjoy using it.

For Heaven’s sake! Turn off the annoying score behind the voices!! It is unpleasant, distracting and from my point of view, totally unnecessary!

Dig out some old, old TV shows and old movies and listen to how it was done on most of them. A film score is supposed to enhance the action. A running, constant noise behind the action is just bad.
Everytime the speaker pauses for a breath the noise comes up.
Otherwise it is a wonderful show. It is making our hobby of genealogy more and more popular. That is a good thing!

2 deedlegirlApril 8, 2011 at 8:48 pm

Enjoyed the show tonight…..

3 Susan (Jenney) PiscitelliApril 8, 2011 at 9:58 pm

I was watching “who do you think you are” tonight and I had an ah-ha moment when I heard Ashley Judd talk about her 10th Gr Grandfather fleeing to Leyden, Holland to escape religious persacution. My 9th Gr. Grandfather Pilgrim John Jenney Fled Norwich, England for Leyden, Holland 3 years after her Grandfather William Brewster. In my info I gathered not only did I realize that my ancestor fled religious persecution by King James 1 as well by going to Leyden, he was also a separatist of the Leyden congreagtion which her ancestor William Brewster started in Leyden. Her ancestor William Brewsters cell mate in England was William Bradford who in Plymouth MA. years later was to be a very close friend of my ancestor John Jenney as I saw in his Last Will & Testiment. It truley is a very small world and I love the show for it helped me to put my puzzle pieces together.

4 SCWApril 8, 2011 at 10:41 pm

Had to love this show. Lots of overlap with my Bradford family. I have the highest regard for NEHGS. I have always admired Ashley.

Since I have grown up knowing my connection to the Mayflower, I had to chuckle that Ashley’s dad seemed more impressed by the lesser known Civil War relative. It isn’t about the importance of the person. It’s about appreciating the different family members and some of them you may just feel more of a connection to. In my Bradford line, one woman lost three of her children and her husband before she died, and yet she had a tremendous and positive impact on my grandmother by teaching her to read using the Bible. Her courage to go on, after tragedy really affects me. My grandmother, an isolated farmer’s daughter developed a passion for reading that lasted her whole life.

5 Marie Brewster BowmanApril 8, 2011 at 11:10 pm

It was very exciting for me to see and hear that Ashley Judd and I have William Brewster in common.
I only caught a glimpse of the family tree spread before her. At that point my local station broke into the show with breaking news about a black bear roaming a neighborhood in Virginia Beach, VA.
Police and fire rescue tranquilized the bear, placed a harness around him and lower him to the ground. Needless to say, I missed the last 30 minutes of finding out about my ancestry! I have been an ancestry.com member for about a year, though I have not tracked much information. Looking forward to finding much more. Thank you for airing Who do you think you are,

6 BCarolApril 9, 2011 at 2:04 am

Great show! I was very familiar with Ashley’s Kentucky roots because she, her sisters and her mother lived in Chanticleer-which is now a part of Berea College. Her mother was a nurse at the Berea College Hospital (now St. Joseph’s-Berea). Having lived there, I understand the importance of faith and family as well as the fact that Kentucky was the “brother against brother” state during the Civil War. That may be why her father so enjoyed learning about their Civil War ancestor. I had no idea that the show was going to delve into roots other than her Kentucky and southern roots so the discoveries and unexpected route that her search took her was very interesting. One thing I learned while living in Berea is that Kentucky people’s roots go very deep and very far back in US history. And also, Civil War stories are so often centered along the coastal (and near coastal) eastern states. So hearing of battles etc. that took place inland was a nice touch as well.

7 Pat SecordApril 9, 2011 at 7:47 am

Probably my favorite show so far!

8 Carol HApril 9, 2011 at 8:31 am

The recurring theme that strikes me about all the “Who Do You Think You Are” shows and that I have found in my own research is how all the stories, no matter what route they take, are the story of America. I find all the shows fascinating, and each time I watch one, it gives me new enthusiasm to continue researching my own story. I hope you continue the series.

9 Karen DApril 9, 2011 at 9:09 am

I love Who Do You Think You Are? It is probably my favorite show but I do have one question. Is there a reason that none of the shows so far have highlighted someone who has Confederate Civil War ancestors?
In both of the firt and the second season there were highlights of the Civil War – Matthew Broderick and Ashley Judd both have ancestors who were Union soldiers. I am someone with lots of Civil War (and Revolutionary War) ancestors but they were all of the Confederate kind. I feel that there should be highlights of both the Union and the Confederacy to show an accurate representation. I feel sure that some of the individuals they have researched must have Confederate ancestors.
The Sesquicentennial begins this month and Ancestry.com is currently highlighting the Civil War with lots of information on the Blue and the Gray. It would seem appropriate that a show they sponser would highlight both sides of the conflict.

10 Kelly SpencerApril 9, 2011 at 9:26 am

When I heard Inez Kentucky, I knew there had to be a connection between the Elijah Hensley Ashley Judd is related to and the Elijah Hensley my husband is related to. Elijah Hensley’s father, also named Elijah Hensley was born in Tn. about 1793 and died in Kentucky in 1879. From my research it appears that his mother was a Native American woman, who is unfortunately unnamed. The story is that Elijah Hensley Sr.’s father Daniel Hensley, was captured by Native Americans and lived with them off and on through the years. I would love to be able to prove this in some way. Interesting stuff. I wish the show would have gone a little further back from Elijah Hensley, because that would also be an interesting part of the story.

11 AllenApril 9, 2011 at 10:38 am

Great episode last night. While it wasn’t my favorite – that is a tie between Lionel Richie’s episode and Vanessa Williams’ episode – it was very good.

Karen, though they didn’t go into any real detail in Lionel’s episode, they did mention that his ancestor received a Confederate pension in Tennessee. I do wish they would have went into more detail with that. I believe that man’s father (or brother) also served the Confederacy, but I’m not certain.

12 SCWApril 9, 2011 at 11:01 am

William Brewster, William Bradford and others are mentioned in an excellent book by Nathaniel Philbrick called Mayflower. There are no perfect people in the book but there are some great stories. I don’t believe it was intended to be a source for genealogy but it does list many sources and provides excellent reading for the events.

I met a remarkable set of Bradford cousins through ancestry who are also Native American. They did not know they were descended from William Bradford even though one man still has the Bradford surname. They have been proud of their Native American family history and I am proud we share the same family line. What a gift from ancestry!

Also, want to thank ancestry for the Civil War records. I just found Civil War items for a Bradford ancestor and his relatives, a couple days ago.

13 DNollApril 9, 2011 at 11:57 am

While Ashley Judd was on TV I was on Ancestry.com connecting the dots two William Brewster and William Bradford. I did not see the show till this morning on Hulu.

I did enjoy the factual coverage and the documents that were shared during the show. I didn’t cry when I discovered I was descended from W. Brewster but I am not a professional actress either. I did not enjoy every time she said “Life Changing”. I would say “Enriching my personal history” is probably more accurate. The other tidbit that made me chuckle was when she said Williams Brewster (and Bradfor) “Unjustly” jailed. A typical American sentiment as they were Church Heretics and at that time in England it was indeed a gross affront to God and against then current law. In the end I enjoyed the show, wished there were more meat and history and a little less “Life Changing” drama. But to get this kind of thing on TV star power is what sells it. And I should be kind, as Ashley is my cousin and lives only a few miles from me.

14 HelenApril 9, 2011 at 12:03 pm

Did you really just say “typical American”?

15 vickie adcockApril 9, 2011 at 12:25 pm

Great show. Please continue.

16 RichApril 9, 2011 at 12:40 pm

I didn’t think this one on Ashley Judd was all that good. I didn’t see her doing much of a research and it seemed as if the researchers did most of the work. I also wasn’t impressed with most of the program seeming to be about her personal ponit of view about her support of her in so called social justice. I think Spike Lee and Rosie O’Donald’s were better.
My third great gandfather lost his right thumb in the civil war and he, his brother, and a neighbor were all POWs and sent to Andersonville. His brother died there.
My 6th great grandparents also fled Europe in 1716. It was not only because they were Quakers, but also it was from her parent. She was of noble blood, so how much did she give up for Love and God.
I like the program, but I believe it would be better if it showed more of how the research is done and showed the common person and not those that can afford to do it on their own. It also needs to show the problems you can run into when doing research. Something it never seems to show.

17 KenApril 9, 2011 at 1:03 pm

I agree Rich, I would like to see an episode with an average person tracing their ancestry.

18 MaryApril 9, 2011 at 1:18 pm

Since this was the end of the season, I have some general comments. I am glad they did less apologizing and guilt about their ancestors. I am not my ancestor and had no control over their behavior. I also don’t want to hear bragging as if their accomplishments were the descendants. I can enjoy my ancestors, grieve for them, learn from them, etc.

I really appreciated the wide range of material covered and look forward to even more of that. I am glad that there were so many different stories. I can’t really compare them because it is like comparing a good mystery novel to a romance. Each person and their family is very unique.
Since many people seem to want more in depth research that may not be appropriate for TV air time, perhaps ancestry could provide an option for follow up. Perhaps you could provide interviews with different researchers, genealogists and historians, or follow up with a tour of a particular organization, etc. I really enjoyed a show with Tom Brokaw that followed up on the movie 127 hours. Something like this would be helpful. Something along the line of a breakout session. It would also be nice if some of the documents used on the show were put on view, in a type of online museum. At least for a limited time period. A list of other recomended sources and even related topics might be interesting.
I also want to thank the people portrayed on the show and particularly the relatives who are not public figures. It is very courageous to walk through this process with an audience. No one was there to judge my response when I found out that I had a relative with an unsavory life or the family member who was a prisoner of war.

19 Darlene AmesApril 9, 2011 at 2:15 pm

I have thoroughly enjoyed both seasons so far. When I watched Gwynneth last week as she entered the sanctuary of the Jewish Synogogue I thought to myself I would be that awestruck too. I have really enjoyed seeing the buildings and the locations each show has taken us to as each person went along their road to discovering more about themselves. Having done this hobby for about 15 years now I know that each time we put another piece to the big puzzle helps us define ourselves a bit more as it gives us another clue to what/why/how our ancestry evolved. I look forward to next year. Perhaps the next group will take us to one or two Confederate veteran and maybe an American Revolution or War of 1812 veteran. Great work.

20 LindaApril 9, 2011 at 5:41 pm

The episode last night with Ashley Judd seemed extremely contrived. There are documents with the Union soldier then suddenly she decides to go to Boston. I didn’t understand how she/you made that leap. Your program gave nothing that indicated a reason to go there other than she had “heard” they were from there. I didn’t see you present any census records and only one death reoord. I felt like we were being exposed to bad genealogy research habits – making assumptions.

21 MaryApril 9, 2011 at 6:35 pm

I doubt if a prestigious organization like NEHGS would have taken this on if the foundation of the work was flawed. Certainly for any part they were involved in you can be sure the research was of the best quality.

22 Dan WolfeApril 9, 2011 at 7:48 pm

I really enjoyed the the “who do you think you are”
shows. I even corresponded to people who were related to the celebrities and let them know that their ancestors were on the show. It is a great feeling to help somebody like that!! I hate to see it ended. I always look forward to the shows. Hopefully there will be more later!!

23 James W CummingsApril 9, 2011 at 8:12 pm

Family Stories can be amazingly helpful in tracking your ancestors and rediscovering a few details of their lives yet do not always prove to even be about who you think they are. Ashley Judd`s father Michael Ciminelli spoke of Effie (Copley) Dalton having a rumored New England connection, yet it proved to be through her husband William Dalton by way of his great Grandmother Rebecca (Bruster) Dalton instead. I`m not sure but what Ashley`s mother Naomi Judd wrote of Civil war soldier Elijah Henley in a song some time ago.

24 BEEApril 10, 2011 at 6:34 am

Thank you ancestry.com for a very interesting and enjoyable series, as well as the celebrities willing to share their family history with the public, and I hope that there will be more episodes in the future.

25 d. (STRICKLAND) MartindaleApril 10, 2011 at 11:42 am

Our family was on the MAYFLOWER during the first vovage.My ancestors are from Stephan Hopkins, one of the signers of the Mayflower Compact…. Please do more series of shows of average people too! As we would like to get to travel.like famous people do…. love the show!

26 James W CummingsApril 10, 2011 at 1:29 pm

Not Everyone who arrived on the Mayflower or its` sister ship the Speedwell which was damaged in a storm and forced to return to England, then came the next year on the Fortune or slightly later was in search of religious freedom. Among the Pilgrims certain including Master Stephen Hopkins, Master Richard Warren and Master William Mullins were called strangers, Others like Master John Carver, Master William Bradford and Elder William Brewster who had gone to Leiden to worship freely were known as Saints. The Saints ran the colony, though Hopkins after accepting the lead of the saints and joining their church (talk about your religious freedom !)also became prominently involved in the goverment. Mayflower descent in my family is usually observed with a so what ? You think that makes you special ? Some of my not so distant ancestors studiously disregarded it altogether. On my Father`s side I have Allerton, Howland/Tilley, Warren, Edward Fuller, Soule (twice) Hopkins(3)and Rogers (3) plus Edward Winslow`s sibling Kenelm and Bradford`s stepson Constant Southworth and his ward Thomas Cushman. On my Mother`s side I have Alden /Mullins, Doten (2), Cooke(3), two more Warren lines, another Hopkins line, Edward Winslow`s sibling John and James Chilton plus Cooke`s nephew Philippe De la Noye

27 Andy HatchettApril 10, 2011 at 2:50 pm

James W. Cummings Re: #46

You said:
“Mayflower descent in my family is usually observed with a so what ? You think that makes you special ?”

Too bad it isn’t taken that way by more people. Let’s face it- in plain and simple terms, The Mayflower and all the ships that followed did nothing more than bring in packs of criminals who stole the land of the original inhabitants and destroyed their culture.

Certainly nothing there to be proud of!

28 RhondaApril 10, 2011 at 5:17 pm

Did she really use the word “Martyr” in reference to him? Did she really tell her dad that their line founded New England. Please tell me that I didn’t here that. Yes, there are one legged farmers, in fact there was one in my family and he wore a cork leg and got along just fine.
There is just nothing good that I can say about this last show.

29 AmandavlApril 10, 2011 at 5:52 pm

You know, I love the show and have always been so interested in researching my familys history – I began researching about 15 years ago when I really didn’t find much online – would just send away for this certificate and that (birth, death, etc) – really didn’t get very far. I knew my grandfather’s family had American roots that went back to at least the revolution – he had always mentioned a “drummer boy in the revolution” and also that family was granted land by the King of England or something. Now that I am a member and have been researching, I find it very hard to believe all of the connections I have made with just one line of his. I have everyone from Charlemagne to William Brewster to Elder John Strong to Joseph Loomis to Richard Lyman. Is all of this for real?? I just made the William Brewster connection last night, a day after the show. Is ancestry.com just a game?? How do I know these connections are legit??

30 Andy HatchettApril 10, 2011 at 5:59 pm

Amandavl Re: # 29

If you haven’t personally verified each of those connections starting with yourself and working back each generation for every person then you have no idea if the connections are real or not- you can NOT accept someone else’s word for it. By verified I mean obtained original evidence- not just some GEDCOM or copied stuff from someone else’s family tree.

31 AnnaApril 10, 2011 at 6:35 pm

Please explain to me how they cannot have live customer support of any type! I’m locked out of the system — they say I’m logged on elsewhere – which I’m not. And I can’t reset it online or reach anyone to take care of this. Very very very poor service!

32 NancyApril 10, 2011 at 6:52 pm

Maybe they could have a show with the person who wins the drawing in the Ultimate Family History contest. It would be interesting to see how much they were able to help them. I have my family pretty well traced but would love to have a local historian find some of these interesting documents that they find for the celebrities!

33 Doris BiddisonApril 10, 2011 at 7:56 pm

We look forward to each week of this new show. We have watched all season and are sorry it’s over for now. How about having it on year round and more than once a week! It’s great. Learning a lot from it. Thanks!

34 SCWApril 10, 2011 at 9:29 pm

You just can’t take those ancestors anywhere. What has naughty William been doing this week. Can you imagine someone with a minority view imposing his views on other people. Who would do that. LOL

35 WinleeApril 10, 2011 at 9:40 pm

Can we all say;
Blog about “Season Finale of who do you think you are”
Its seem #27 and 30 can’t. Is it possible for you not to stick your nose into someones business?
Can’t we just enjoy what people think of the show.
Blog about “Season Finale of who do you think you are”

Say it Andy

Not Blog About Andy.

36 SaraGApril 10, 2011 at 10:11 pm

I wish Ancestry.com would put a source list of the documents, etc, that were consulted for each show. No analysis would need to be provided, but just a list to give people, particular those new to the hobby (or obsession) an idea of everything that was looked at to put each 42-minute episode together.

A click-able family tree would be nice, too, but I’d prefer a source list.

37 NancyApril 11, 2011 at 1:29 am

Love the show and really liked Ashley Judd, maybe due to what I believe to be my Mayflower line (Allerton) and the Civil War episode was great. I want more on the Palatines and early immigrants and more about why they left their homeland and of course the hardships they found when they arrived in America.
Too bad we can’t have WDYTYA every month so we can then have time to follow the research strategies.

38 Patricia GarcherApril 11, 2011 at 11:10 am

I enjoyed the show about Ashley Judd because I too have a third great grandfather who fought in the Civil War (Vermont) and an ancestor who was on the Mayflower (Christopher Martin). I also did not find this out until late adulthood. I keep trying to convey to other people who overwhelming it is to find out this information, but most people seem completely unmoved. Maybe they can only relate to it when seen through the eyes of a celebrity.

39 Kerri AndersonApril 11, 2011 at 2:06 pm

I truly do enjoy your show, yet I am VERY frustrated at it as well!
I am on my own doing ALL my family history and I don’t have just the standard family tree I have branches that have branches, and etc. I am stuck trying to find out about my biological grandfather and it irritates me that a famous person can go on this show and afford to travel to where they need to go, hire a professional genealogists to help them with their search! What about us common folk, who don’t have the millions to travel, hire expensive genealogists to help…what are WE supposed to do?

40 James W CummingsApril 11, 2011 at 4:13 pm

#27 Andy Hatchett indicates that the Pilgrims came with criminal intent, yet it wasn`t that cut and dried. In the Beginning they built Plymouth on the ruins of the village of the Paxuet and had in their number several who would have been content to dwell in communal houses and hold the land in common even as the American aboriginals did yet soon there was a call for private acreages by I think Master Hopkins and these were granted.Although Tesquantum , last of the tribe that had lived where the Pilgrims began Plymouth Colony was welcomed into it more refugees arrived and commenced builting other colonies. The Natives made treaties deeding tracts of land but not understanding the concept so in the end you are perhaps right. Conquest or thievery were not unknown before the Europeans. A bad Season for one could mean someone else got pushed out of “their” land though the Great Spirit owned all the land and all the water.

41 Gloria J. DicksonApril 11, 2011 at 7:24 pm

I like Who Do You Think You Are? The people have some very interesting family histories. I am tracing my family history.

42 AmandavlApril 11, 2011 at 7:31 pm

Anna #31 – I had the exact same problem today – couldn’t get on – got the message saying I must be logged in elsewhere – and couldn’t get in touch with anyone to help. Finally I was able to log on and I changed my password because who knows?? Maybe some hacker logged into my account or something. That was around 9:30 this morning, EST.

43 Martha SlaterApril 11, 2011 at 9:00 pm

I applaud your efforts to expose members and the public to genealogy, but as one who has been doing this research for more than 50 years, I am furious that you try to make it look easy, and that you cater (pander?) to celebrities in this pursuit. The true search for family roots is much more difficult, more time consuming and more frustrating. The average among us do not have the experts handing us hand printed lineage charts, or pulling amazing documents from their vaults, nor do we have paid flights all around the world to track down those elusive ancestors. The bottom line is that you are doing a real disservice to genealogists. I wish you would devote your time to the REAL world of genealogy. That would be more honest and more helpful.

44 Donna templetonApril 12, 2011 at 12:38 pm

I look forward to watching “Who Do You Think You Are?” every Friday night and, although somwhat unrealistic, it has given me some new ideas about researching my own family. Having hit that brick wall with my Lee side, the show has provided me with new ways to do research. I believe the show’s real message is meant to inspire and motivate others to trace their roots, not to show how “easy” it is to do so. We, as researchers, know it is not easy, but very time-consuming and frustrating. Yes, it would be wonderful if the average person could fly around the country at will, visit all the historical societies, genealogy centers, and libraries just to have someone else present us with all the legal documents in record time, but that only happens on TV. The show has one hour (less due to commercials) to present their case, so obviously it looks easy, but I’d be willing to bet there’s a lot more that goes on behind the scenes then we’d ever know. Why can’t we just sit back and enjoy the show for what it is……intertainment. Thank you, Ancestry, for providing not only intertainment, but information on how do research ourselves. Now, when do we find out who the winner is? I always have trouble locating that information on your website!

45 Terri HerrickApril 12, 2011 at 5:51 pm

I am very interested in starting my own family tree and wanted advice and opinions on which family tree site was the best to go with. It seems it is ancestry. com. Does it sometimes take months and months to get any info on ancestors?

46 Andy HatchettApril 12, 2011 at 6:14 pm

Terri Re: #45

I don’t want to discourage you but, rather than months and months, it oftentimes takes years and years.

One word of advice; should you start researching pay absolutely *NO* attention to the online trees as most are merely unsourced junk copied from other family trees. Research using Documents and evidence- not family trees.

47 BCarolApril 13, 2011 at 1:57 am

Genealogy is not a sprint. And as many have mentioned here, most people look at you and say ‘so what?’ if you share something you find interesting you’ve recently learned or have known about your ancestors for ever and ever.

You find out nothing really if all you find are names and dates and events. It is really a logical, intellectual, and scholarly venture punctuated with well-earned ‘hooray I’ve found it!’ moments. And then you are on to the next brick wall or difficult common name research. And then it’s verify, verify, verify, verify. And often at the ‘third verify’ your hypothesis falls apart and it’s start all over again.

It’s no fun and not very satisfying to learn everything at once. Because learning means a walk through history; a walk through heartaches, a walk through successes, etc. etc.

And sometimes some discoveries then can come from the revelations that you receive by knowing the history, culture, and events of “place.” I can’t tell you how many times I looked at my great grandfather’s mysterious return to Ireland in 1922. And then, it hit me: THAT’S why I can’t find him on passenger lists to Ellis Island. THAT’S why I can find him leaving the US to return to Ireland in 1922. The ah-ha! moment came when after turning to history books and reading about events it dawned on me: he returned in 1922 because independence had been won. He would not be arrested for desertion. And that explained the angry letter his brother sent to gr. grandpa’s daughter.

But none of this means a hod of hogs if all you have is a name. Even if it is a cultural or ethnic discovery you are looking for… learning that your fifth gr. grandmother was a Cherokee is not going to suddenly change your life or give you any special and miraculous entry in a tribe. If anything it will make most native americans get a kick out of someone saying “oh, I’m 1/125th Cherokee.” Because you haven’t lived the life, learned the culture, or been entitled to or entrusted with this.

A good history is a good biography. Society Registers are boring. And finding that relative you’ve just got to find eight generations ago can often be very disappointing and utterly common and unmagical. Don’t look at the mysteries and the unfindables as road blocks to being ‘whole.’ Look at them as guides to finding everything you do find. And that is as woo woo as I’ll get here.

If you don’t like math (to figure out all the relationships and if they fit timewise) or history (it’s not worth knowing names without place in time) or are afraid to just pick up the phone and ask ‘are we related?’ (oh the responses you might hear) and not be OK with whatever response you get then it might make it a burden instead of a joyful journey.

And despite your misgivings or disbeliefs, you don’t have to be famous to get the information that many of the celebrities obtained. I know; I’ve done it. By phone, visits, snail mail etc. Nowadays it is an amazingly fluidly connected world where the internet is a tool not a brain.

And besides, if you were featured on a TV show doing this, would you be able to take the heat of negative forum responses?

48 Carol A. H.April 13, 2011 at 1:21 pm

#31 Anna

There IS live support from Ancestry. Call 1-800-262-3787, toll free, if you are in the USA. You will either get live support (you may have to wait on hold a bit) or a recording telling you what the hours are. They are there EVERY day but hours are different.

Sounnds like you need to reset your username and password.

49 JanetApril 13, 2011 at 5:36 pm

Do all of you complaining that the show doesn’t do research for “common people” realize that the celebrity is only one person in a family tree? Most of the hundreds or thousands of other descendents are “common people”.

50 Anita HeflinApril 14, 2011 at 4:36 am

Love watching ‘Who do You Think You Are?’ I do realize that it is a TV program thus the celebrity, instant results, and 16 generations in one hour! but I actually lean into the tv to see the documents and charts. Keep up the good work and I can’t wait for more. By the way, my cousin says she’ll volunteer to be the ‘celebrity’. We have several dead ends in our tree…

51 SCWBCMApril 14, 2011 at 8:33 am

Are the message boards not working? I can get to them but cannot scroll or change to the newest first option? I did manage to see there was at least one other post about this in the newest threads.

52 SCWBCMApril 14, 2011 at 9:43 am

I will be sure to post back when the scrolling seems to be working again. I know ancestry fixes these things pretty quickly.

53 RoseApril 15, 2011 at 9:41 am

I’m already missing the show. Hoping it’ll return. While I am envious of these people’s ability to trace their roots, I really appreciate the history being shared. I’ve learned some pretty amazing facts of history. More than ever, I feel we are all cousins, no matter where we are.

54 Jan KirkwoodApril 15, 2011 at 1:32 pm

I like the show. I do not think that everyone has interesting ancestors but the search for them is wonderful. I have connected with people all over the world in my search for answers about who my family was, it hasn’t cost anything.
I am greatful for Ancestry because I do not have the eyesite nor inclination to go to a family center and try to see microfilm but I can read the records as transcribed here. If the TV show inspires more young people to do family research I think that would be a wonderful thing.
So the big question is………………Is there a season 3 coming?

Jan Kirkwood

55 Michelle RApril 15, 2011 at 4:39 pm

Nancy #37. I’m a Palatine nut as well having researched for more than 20 years the Palatines who settled along the Mohawk River in New York. There are many excellent resources out there and I would be happy to share. You should be able to contact me through Ancestry and my user name of torgiefam

Michelle-Seattle

56 BApril 17, 2011 at 4:43 pm

I am rethinking my membership with Ancestry. Why should I pay for membership every year so that Ancestry can host rich, spoiled, educationally challenged, narcisstic, (not to mention worshipped by idiots who can’t seem to find time to worship our Father) “celebrities”. I think I will keep my money and let Ancestry find other fools to pay for this excess!!

57 Rosie MillerApril 18, 2011 at 12:51 pm

B #56

As you sow, so shall you reap.

58 Brenda PepeApril 18, 2011 at 4:11 pm

I have really enjoyed the shows. Please continue them! I am inspired and have appreciated the history being highlighted. Thank you.

59 DebraApril 18, 2011 at 10:32 pm

As to the question and or complaints about how fast the the celebrity gets the information. Ashley Judd said they contacted her a year before they taped the show. So the experts have all the infomation before the taping. I wish I had their help without having to pay for someone to find the information which is not on ancestry.com. I would have to travel to the county and state to look at the county records. i have found out so much, but I wish i could find out more. I would not renew my membership as its expensive, but it was money well spent for the year.

60 BEEApril 19, 2011 at 5:55 am

I agree with those who said that the WDYTYA stories were good entertainment, and I did learn new and interesting things from each program.
I’ve had a Deluxe membership for a number of years, starting with ancestry about 8 years ago.
While there have been problems along the way, and information I just couldn’t find, I will be forever grateful for all the information I have found, and the connections to family I didn’t know I had, even with my trees kept private.
Although my membership is a great expense, I wouldn’t dream of dropping it, especially since it is getting harder for me to explore beyond my local surroundings.
While I wish various problems would be corrected, and more could be added from Poland, the country of my ancestors, new things are being added every day, and I continue to find useful information for other family members.

61 KarenApril 19, 2011 at 8:01 am

If it weren’t for the show, I wouldn’t have discovered the wonderful journey of genealogy. Sure, they use celebrities to draw an audience & it seems a little contrived — but they’re condensing it into a 40 min. time slot! However, I am amazed at the combative & negative comments — esp. the ones going on about their own Mayflower ancestors (boring). What I’ve uncovered (yes, thru documentation) has been deeply meaningful to me & my family; I’m not searching for royalty or famous connections (or, apparently, the subsequent bragging rights). Just learning about my family & their lives in history is enough for me — thank you, Ancestry.com for making it easy, accessible & a great starting point for everyone!

62 Jan KirkwoodApril 19, 2011 at 9:11 am

In a funny way genealogy has strengthened my faith and has certainly improved my prayer life. Oh gosh how?
I am not an inherently trusting person (a few cfaith issues there), but everytime I connect with someone I really have to take them at face value, as they must with me. That leads me to examine who I am at any given moment, which of course leads me to prayer, to improve myself.
So the father is always there thanks B for reminding me.

Jan Kirkwood

63 Betty L. Jarrett HumphriesApril 20, 2011 at 12:13 pm

I love the show, especially now knowing that Ashley Judd’s 10th great grandfather William Brewster had in his keep and young boy named Richard More who was sent to America along with 2 sisters and a brother by their “father Samuel” however was not their father but children by a different man from an adulterous affair. To keep the children from being labeled “bastards” he sent them on the Mayflower. Richard More is my ancestor who was raised by William Brewster in America.

64 Ruth OgleApril 20, 2011 at 4:49 pm

Love the show,wish it was on all the time.My husban found a family connection to Ashly Judd.The first time he had watched it with me, now he is hooked on the show.