New iPad and iPhone app

Posted by Kendall on January 31, 2011 in Ancestry.com Site, Mobile, Site Features

How would you like to be able to see and navigate your Ancestry.com family tree on your iPhone or iPad so you can more easily share family stories visually?  How would you like to be able to view the Census and other records you’ve attached to people in your Ancestry.com family tree on your iPhone or iPad at your next family gathering?  Well good news – now there’s an app for that.

Today, we announced the availability of an enhanced version of our iPhone app, Ancestry, that now has universal support for the iPad and offers several new features:

• An interactive family tree viewer to visualize relationships in your family history
  • Access to family trees that were shared with you
  • Ability to view attached historical documents and source citations attached via Ancestry.com
  • An improved user experience
  • Available on the iPad

Built with the tablet experience in mind, the new Ancestry app brings to life on iPad’s large screen multi-generational family trees complete with images of original family records and photos, making iPad a powerful tool for you to display and share your trees with family and friends in an interactive, highly visual way.

Don’t have an iPad or an iPhone?  Don’t despair – we’re carefully considering the creation of an Android version of the Ancestry app down the road.  Stay tuned for more info.

Learn more

Comments
1 EricJanuary 31, 2011 at 6:37 pm

Awesome!

2 DianaJanuary 31, 2011 at 6:54 pm

So, any hints at all when an Android version might be available?? I have been considering switching providers just to get an iPhone but I really would like to stay where I am and get a Droid!

Thanks!

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Ancestry.com, Mary Gallegos. Mary Gallegos said: Another good reason to get an iPhone or iPad – New iPad and iPhone app http://bit.ly/e81II4 [...]

4 Susan MarstonJanuary 31, 2011 at 8:06 pm

I echo the comments about a Droid app. Don’t want to switch to iPhone, and would love to use ancestry app on my Droid!

5 SusanJanuary 31, 2011 at 8:06 pm

Love it!!!

6 RhondaJanuary 31, 2011 at 8:26 pm

Please include the Droid soon. I do so much on my droid phone and would love to be able to add my favorite website to by droid activities. :-)

7 aimeeJanuary 31, 2011 at 8:39 pm

LOVE!

8 David F. KleinJanuary 31, 2011 at 10:34 pm

Please and Droid app. Not everyone wants to use an iPhone. Thanks

9 StellaVFebruary 1, 2011 at 1:53 am

THANK YOU!!!

10 KimFebruary 1, 2011 at 1:54 am

Awesome! Just installed on my iPad and it’s a gorgeous tool. One question — is there any way to remove the sample tree from my list?

11 RoxannFebruary 1, 2011 at 7:00 am

Can you make a Droid App like this too?

12 Reid HeglandFebruary 1, 2011 at 8:50 am

I like the app, but don’t really need the Kennedy family tree. How do I delete the sample tree?

13 Luann WFebruary 1, 2011 at 11:43 am

I will be anxiously awaiting the Android version. I do not now, nor will I ever own an “i” anything! Work fast Ancestry.com!

14 Lisa HamrickFebruary 1, 2011 at 1:14 pm

I’m waiting for a Droid app!!!

15 JoeFebruary 1, 2011 at 1:54 pm

(1)I really like the new iPad app. (2)I want to know how to delete the Kennedy’s. (3)I hope you will develop an android app as I look forward to a comparable android tablet so I can ditch the iPad and Apple.

16 CJSperlFebruary 1, 2011 at 2:15 pm

Work on that droid app please.

17 CraigFebruary 1, 2011 at 2:27 pm

How boring…Android is the biggest platform in the world…how about getting back to sharing genealogy with the masses and designing a ‘Droid app?

18 DavidFebruary 1, 2011 at 3:13 pm

How about an app for the Droid, more people use the Droid then the apple software!

19 SandyFebruary 1, 2011 at 3:18 pm

Craig is right. Android is the leading platform. I traded my iPhone in and went back to droid. Anxious to see my trees on droid, Ancestry!

20 BrianFebruary 1, 2011 at 3:28 pm

How do I hide or delete the Sample Tree that is part of the iPhone app? I really don’t want to see this every time I log in.

21 Wendy B.February 1, 2011 at 4:39 pm

Great new app. Two things I hope will be added soon: 1.) the ability to copy our photos as well as images of evidence from the app to our own iPhone/iPad, and 2.) the ability to email info and images from our trees to other people.

22 Gary DFebruary 1, 2011 at 5:59 pm

This is a great app! I can finally decide to use Ancestry exclusively. You all have done a fine, fine job. Keep up the good work…

23 StuartFebruary 1, 2011 at 6:37 pm

I like the new version of the iPhone app but with one exception. This is in the case where your subscription to Ancestry has access to multiple shared family trees. With the iPhone app you can at first select one of the shared trees but you cannot get out of that first selected tree to re-select a different shared tree. Please provide a way of doing this, and then it would be a great app.

24 JamesFebruary 1, 2011 at 7:00 pm

This app is EONS ahead of the old one. Keep it up!

25 RickFebruary 1, 2011 at 7:39 pm

For thoses that have more than one tree I found that if you touch the upper center of the screen where your family tree name is located, you will get a window listing all of your family trees and the sample tree. then you can download your other trees and move between them. The last tree you leave open will be the tree that comes up when you open the app again.

Rick

26 Dave MitchellFebruary 2, 2011 at 4:56 am

Have just updated my iPhone app to the latest version, however I have one small criticism. I’m in the UK, and here in the BMD registers, entries are by quarter – Jan, Feb, Mar for the first quarter. So if you have the register entry, but not an exact date, I put in my FTM2011 tree “Between Jan – March 19XX”. I then export the gedcom and import to Ancestry.co.uk to create the Ancestry tree. Both these show the “Between….” in the date field, but in the tree view it shows 0000 in the box, for example I have “Thomas Steward 0000 – 1963″ as my Gt Grandfather.

It would be nice to sort this, as the ability to do this on Ancestry.co.uk and FTM2011 sets them apart from other on line tree sites.

27 CandyEJamesFebruary 2, 2011 at 11:14 am

Love it, love it, love it

28 SASFebruary 2, 2011 at 12:57 pm

how about a windows phone 7 app along with the droid one.

29 StaceyFebruary 2, 2011 at 4:21 pm

How about an app for the blackberry?

30 GregFebruary 2, 2011 at 4:41 pm

Android version very soon please!

31 RichardFebruary 2, 2011 at 9:37 pm

Another disappointed Droid user

32 Kay GillFebruary 3, 2011 at 7:32 am

Please work on the ability to actually have the tree on your Ipad without internet connection. When you are in a cemetery, traveling, etc & want to add or check information, usually don’t have internet. If you could add the information and then connect to internet later and “merge” or update it would be so much better.

33 J. FulmerFebruary 3, 2011 at 9:05 am

Works great for iPad! Nice display. Takes quite awhile for my large 12,000 member family to download (15 minutes), but it does so with any glitches. Good job!
John

34 J. FulmerFebruary 3, 2011 at 9:07 am

Re. above: Sorry, without any glitches.

35 J BiehnFebruary 3, 2011 at 12:55 pm

Very nice, manouverable, well design, no bugs yet.

Jim

36 Ian dourisFebruary 3, 2011 at 2:33 pm

I would like to know how to merge new info on my pc ie facts and photos with the great new app on iPad , please help . Ian

37 Dulci HaggardFebruary 4, 2011 at 7:32 am

Android too, please. It sounds great & I’m jealous!

38 Rex CrouserFebruary 4, 2011 at 9:13 am

I would like to see a HP webOS version for their smartphones and upcoming tablets.

It’s so easy to port your iPhone/iPad app, that it would only take a couple of days (if that). Otherwise, if you could open up your API and/or create a mobile site – then allow someone else to do it.

Thanks!

39 KameyFebruary 4, 2011 at 12:18 pm

I have to say that when I saw the update for this app, I was scared. The old app was not user friendly but I needed it as I get al lot of my ancestry info on the go. I was afraid that it was going to get worse.
I must say though, WOW, what an improvement, it actually works and works well!! I absolutely love it and can’t wait to travel so I can use it on the go again!!
The only thing I would change is the lack of a back button when in a person’s profile. Other than that, LOVE IT!! Great job!

40 ScottFebruary 5, 2011 at 10:43 pm

I concur…a Droid version ASAP please!

41 MegFebruary 5, 2011 at 11:50 pm

Any chance of having the green leaf hints available in app?

42 MaryFebruary 6, 2011 at 4:50 pm

I have a Droid X and I would never switch to an iPhone so please keep us anti Apple people in your thoughts. Looking forward to the droid app. I also agree with the comment about being able to use the app without internet connection. I get in the same situation. I will be out in a cemetery or library or book store and would really like to be able to view data.

43 MicheleFebruary 6, 2011 at 10:09 pm

Eagerly awaiting the android version for my Droid X!

44 PatFebruary 7, 2011 at 8:22 am

Android version please!

45 Stacie McKayFebruary 7, 2011 at 3:39 pm

Add my name to the list of folks awaiting a Droid version!!!!

Or at least a non-web based viewer for the iPod [which I have, but will never own an iPhone]…

46 J. FulmerFebruary 9, 2011 at 8:55 am

I discovered that if you sign out of your Ancestry account from the iPad then you lose all of your previous downloads. All your trees have to be downloaded to iPad again, which can take a long time!

47 J. FulmerFebruary 9, 2011 at 9:13 am

#32 comment above. There is an App called GedView which allows access to your trees data, even if you have no network signal. Your GEDCOM is stored on your device.

48 Nick RussellFebruary 12, 2011 at 6:22 pm

I just downloaded the new app to my iPad and love it! This will be so handy when I am in the field doing research!

49 Phillip TraskaskiFebruary 12, 2011 at 11:06 pm

I really enjoy the iPad app! Is has made working with my family tree much easier when I travel. Please keep up the good work!