Posted by on January 24, 2011 in Family Tree Maker

Each Family Tree Maker tree you create will have a primary person or “home” person. By default, the home person is the first person you entered in your tree. And if you’re creating a tree based on your family, the home person is most likely you.

However, you may want to switch the home person of your tree occasionally. For example, if you’re working on a specific family or branch of your tree, you may want to make someone in that ancestral line the home person. There are several ways to assign a new home person:

Changing the Home Person on the People Workspace

1. Click the People button on the main toolbar and then click the Family tab.
  2. Select the individual to be the home person in the Index, pedigree view, or family group view.
  3. Right-click the individual and choose Set As Home Person. This individual becomes the new home person and remains the home person until you manually select a new one.

Changing the Home Person on the Plan Workspace

1. Click the Plan button on the main toolbar and then click the Current Tree tab. At the top of the window, you’ll see the name of the home person.
  2. Move the mouse over the words “Home Person” until a button appears.
  3. Click Home Person. The Index of Individuals window opens.
  4. Select the individual you want to be the home person and click OK. This individual becomes the new home person and remains the home person until you manually select a new one.

Helen

Would like to suggest a new product that I would like to be separate from Family Tree Maker, but I would like it to work with Family Tree Maker. If this already exists please let me know.

I would like an Heirloom Keeper that could overlap, without interfering, with Family Tree Maker. I want a place to list heirloom items, photographs of them, the story behind the item and who they belonged to. I would like it to overlap with family tree maker only to the degree that some type of label would appear in Family Tree Maker indicating that there are heirloom items and a label would appear in the heirloom program indicating who the item should be associated with.

I do not want this on the online family trees as it would invite theft and bog down the system. And I don’t want this as a part of family tree maker, where it could effect functionality. Keep the effect on family tree maker small and then ancestry would benefit in providing another separate product.

January 24, 2011 at 11:25 am
Darlene8705

Parsons.Com included a copy of their PHI Program when they were associated with FTM years ago. The program is “Personal Home Inventory”, and indoubtedly still available through Parsons. It’s a very indepth program which includes original purchase prices as well as current values.

Respecfully,
Darlene8705

January 24, 2011 at 2:20 pm
Gay Schoenknecht

HOW CAN I CORRECT ENTRIES LIKE DATES THAT YOU ABSOLUTELY (TOMBSTONE)KNOW ARE INCORRECT?
MY FATHER CHARLES DAVID HASKIN TOLD ME HIS MOTHER, HILDA BENSON DIED WHEN HE WAS 13. I LIKELY ENTERED HER DEATH AS 1940 WHEN IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN 1920.

January 24, 2011 at 2:56 pm
Helen

Thanks Darlene

January 24, 2011 at 5:47 pm
John Donaldson

# 3 Gay

In the People Workspace> Family View simply type in the changed date in the right hand editing panel.

You can also do it in the People>Person view

John D

January 24, 2011 at 7:35 pm
Tony Knight

Tana

You recently published a piece on improving performance.

In a larger database, the choice of home person can result in extremely complex relationships spreading over many, many generations being calculated and displayed. Is there a resource impact of this?

January 25, 2011 at 3:01 am
Tana L. Pedersen

#6

Tony, that’s a great question. The choice of home person in itself doesn’t affect the program’s performance. However, if the person you are currently viewing is many, many generations removed from the home person, it does take longer for the program to calculate the relationship and you may see some changes in performance. It’s really another good reason for changing the home person periodically as you gather information about different family lines.

January 25, 2011 at 3:33 pm
Andy Hatchett

Can whoever posted the spam in post number eight please refrain from such actions in the future?

Failing that can we get a national hunting license and declare open season on spammers?

January 25, 2011 at 10:28 pm
Robert J Gauthier

I have just installed FTM 2011! I am an elderly person and I have been very working with FTM for many many years. The last version I worked in was Version 16.

With all the hipe FTM presented to us, I thought OH BOY – that 2011 will really be good. Hummm Wrong!

You have produced a very complicated program after so many years of EASY TO USE PROGRAMS. I have run the Tutorial several times and that [however] is not easy to follow either because the presenter [teacher] talks and moves through the instruction so FAST, its very difficult to follow and too learn from it.

Least you genious’ forget – many many of your customers are elderly, like myself at 81! Slow down and smell the roses – please!

Your 2011 invention is not user friendly for this user.

January 26, 2011 at 3:45 pm
Kathy Everhard

I too purchased FTM 2011 and it is going back to the store. It will not let me register it and it is not user friendly, I agree with you Mr. Gauthier!

January 26, 2011 at 7:04 pm
Tony Knight

Tana

My thinking was running along these lines.

You cannot turn off the relationship calculation.

This is how I appear in my database with the Home Person set as the individual, all of whose descendants I am trying to trace.

“Husband of 4th cousin -1x removed of husband of 2nd great grandfather of husband of wife of 9th great grandson of Richard Wherrett.” This and many of the relationships will not even display properly unless you resize the panel.

My copy of FTM for Mac constantly crashes because of a memory handling problem which has knock effects on export, compacting and probably other areas where I have trouble. It gradually grabs more and more memory until reaching 2.9GB it falls over.

I have some 400 islands in the database ranging in number from 1 to around 74000. I was thinking of setting the home person to one of the singles to reduce the stress on my system until such time as the problem is corrected, which sadly the recent patch did not do.

January 27, 2011 at 4:07 am
James

Tony,

The memory usage problem and crashes have existed since version 2008 on the PC. Hopefully this problem can be fixed with an update.

Regards,

January 27, 2011 at 4:21 pm
John Donaldson

# 11 Tony

There has been a patch for FTMM which amongst other things is designed to fix a number of crashing issues.

Do a help>Check for updates and install the patch

John D

January 27, 2011 at 5:49 pm
Linda Clark

What is the most desirable way to begin entering data; the youngest person in the family tree to the eldest or the other way around; starting with the oldest generation and moving forward to the youngest generation? (Example, great-great-great-(back 16 generations) grandfather forward to my great-grandchild)

Linda C

January 28, 2011 at 1:08 am
Tony Knight

John D

It was I who published the fact on the Message Board that the patch was there. You asked me for the link.

For me the only thing the patch fixed was that you can now import 5.5.1 gedcoms. It is interesting to watch what is going on with Activity Monitor. The only high memory demand task (you can see what they are with the AM) I can carry out is back-up and you can do this without the program.

James

Yes, but nowhere near as bad as FTM for Mac.

January 28, 2011 at 1:40 am
Andy Hatchett

Linda Re: #14

Most recommend going from present to past. Since you should verify and source each entry this is the most logical way as it leads to a much more accurate tree.

Working from past to present you will find sources more limited and thus a greater chance of following the wrong line forward.

January 28, 2011 at 7:29 am
C Kintrup

How do you combine family’s that intermarry? I have several strings of relatives that have married down the line with relatives of other family members. I end up having the same person entered twice. Is there anyway to combine these links?

January 28, 2011 at 10:55 am
James

#17
You can merge the duplicate individuals. Select the person to be merged then select “Person/Merge Two Specific Individuals…” You can decided which facts to keep, merge, etc…

Regards,

January 28, 2011 at 11:49 am
John Donaldson

# 14 Linda C

I suggest that you start with yourself and work out like ripples in a pond. parents, siblings, siblings spouses and children etc plus of course your own relationships spouse, children their spouse etc.

Make sure that your source the data as you enter it. All of us wish we had been more careful with sourcing when we started. FTM now has excellent built in source templates (about 170 of them based on Shown Mills’ models in Evidenced Explained).

The other reason to start with yourself is that you are likley to know more about yourself and your immediate familiy than a number of generations back.

I always suggest that you don’t try and split your database for both sides of the familiy. FTM can easily output familiy line reports and charts and by splitting the familiy you get into synchronization issues as well as truncating ancestor and pedigree reports and charts.

And a final suggestion make sure that you always have good back ups of your data.

John D

January 28, 2011 at 7:44 pm
John Donaldson

# 17 C Kintrup

Essentially you enter each line in the normal fashion and when you have cousins marrying you add the spouse even although that person already exists in their line.

Then form the People Workspace go to Person>Merge Two Specific Individuals

You will find that FTM will do the merge and you will have everything as you expect.

Of course you will now see dual relationships as with inter-marriages you create two ways to relate a person.

FTM handles all of this as well.

If you are not sure create a small test database and experiment

John D

January 28, 2011 at 7:50 pm
Anne C.

I have question for you…My Mother has a huge family 10 children in it..All the Seilheimers had big families My great parents 5 times over had 15 children..
Well the Seilheimer is 1 family tree..We are all related….The problem I am running into is: They all name their sons have their brothers, brother inlaws, fathers, etc..
I found it easier to use the wives maiden name…When I can find it..
But what I like to see on here is a separate box for maiden name & married name for the female side.
I hate using maiden name with dash for married names…I try leaving off the married name but I run into problems when the woman in the family name their daughters after themselves…So can you please have someone help me out put in maiden name boxes & married name boxes… Thank you, Anne

January 29, 2011 at 11:55 am
RICHARD

I LOOK FOR A PERSON AND GIVE EXACT NAMES,DATES AND PLACE.I HIT SEARCH AND PEOPLE FROM DIFFERANT STATES AND NAMES POP UP TO VIEW AND THE MESSAGE IS BE MORE SPECIFIC.I DON’T GET IT.CAN YOU HELP.AND ONE MORE THING.(VERY IMPORTANT)I’M LOOKING FOR INFO ON MY WIFE.I HAVE HER PARENTS WHO WERN’T REALLY MARRIED BUT ARE ON THE BIRTH CERT.SHE WAS BORN IN A FRIENDS OF THE PARENTS HOME AND THE FRIEND RAISED HER FROM BIRTH AS THE MOTHER,BUT NEVER LEGALLY ADOPTED HER.HOW DO I LOOK THIS UP.IM NOT SURE IF THIS IS THE RIGHT PLACE TO POST THIS,IF NOT PLEASE TELL ME WHERE.DICKCONLEYSR@GMAIL.COM.THANK YOU

January 30, 2011 at 9:25 am
emmajean felix

I LOVE THIS WEB SITE BUT I HAVE BEN LOOKING FOR SOME OF MY FATHER FAMILY HE PASS AWAY ON NOV 08,2008 AND I WOULUD REALLY LOVE TO FINE THAT PART OF MY FAMILY IF THERES ANYWAY U CAN HELP ME PLZ EMAIL ME……YOURS TURELY EMMAJEAN FELIX

January 30, 2011 at 7:51 pm
Andy Hatchett

Emma Jean Re:#23

The Social Security Death Index shows this:

FELIX, EDUARD
Born: 30 Mar 1954
Died: 08 Nov 2008 (
Age:54
Last Address of Record: 10009 (New York, New York, NY)
Issued by: Puerto Rico
Soc. Sec. #: 584-64-7915

Is this your father?

January 31, 2011 at 8:10 pm
Tyler Rasmussen

Presumably FTM 2012 is only 6 months away from release (for the last 4 years, FTM has been released in August). After half a year of development, do you suppose sometime soon we could have an article highlighting features to look forward to upcoming version?

Will the SDK / plug-in vision ever be recovered?

February 1, 2011 at 12:33 pm
Andy Hatchett

Tyler Re: # 25

Rather than a list of the new Belles and Whistles, I’d *MUCH* rather have a very detailed list of all the problems they have fixed in FTM2011.

Then I might be able to know if I want FTM2012.

February 2, 2011 at 1:32 am
Lucille N.York

Andy#26 i,m with you onthem coming out with another FTMuntil they work on the bugs in 2011. I went back to 2010.
Lucy

February 2, 2011 at 11:13 pm
Tony Knight

For Mac users unhappy with the very poor implementation of FTM for Mac, I had an email this morning to say that RootsMagic are looking at producing a Mac version

February 5, 2011 at 7:00 am
Hazel Clack

#26 & #27…I ABSOLUTELY AGREE. ANCESTRY SHOULD FIX THE ISSUES WITH THE FTM PROGRAMS THEY HAVE OUT.,,AND FORGET ABOUT ALL THE BELLS AND WHISTLES THAT ONE IS TOLD TO ‘TURN OFF’ WHEN A PROBLEM IS REPORTED. FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO HAVE NOT EXPORTED YOUR DATA TO THE rtf FILE IN A WHILE, YOU’RE IN FOR A SURPRISE. THE DATA CAN NOT BE EDITED, THERE ARE ‘CELLS’ THAT HAS DATA IN WHAT APPEARS TO BE AN EXCEL CELL. THE FORMAT IS HORRIBLE FOR ANY TYPE OF REPORT THAT IS EXPORTED. WAS TOLD THERE IS A 3RD PARTY INVOLVED AND ANCESTRY HAS BEEN UNABLE TO GET THEM TO FIX IT. I FOR ONE AM VERY DISSATISIFIED WITH ANCESTRY PRODUCTS AND WILL NEVER PURCHASE ANOTHER ONE!!!!

February 6, 2011 at 8:19 pm