Scheduled Family Tree Maintenance (6 January, 1:00-2:00 AM MST)

Posted by jhodnett on January 4, 2011 in Ancestry.com Site, Family Trees

Please be aware that the Ancestry.com Family Tree Service will undergo scheduled maintenance early Thursday morning, 6 January 2011, from about 1:00 AM to 2:00 AM Mountain Standard Time.

This downtime will affect Ancestry Member Trees, OneWorldTree, some portions of My Canvas, the sections of the Home Page that are related to Member Trees, and the sections of MyFamily.com 2.0 that are related to Member Trees. Other than that, all other areas of the site will remain functional.

For the vast majority of our members living outside Mountain Standard Time, 1:00 – 2:00 AM MST is the same as…

Coordinated Universal Time: 8:00 – 9:00 AM
In London: 8:00 – 9:00 AM
In Melbourne: 7:00 – 8:00 PM
In San Francisco: 12:00 AM – 1:00 AM
In New York: 3:00 – 4:00 AM

Comments

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Ancestry.com. Ancestry.com said: Scheduled Family Tree Maintenance (6 January, 1:00-2:00 AM MST) http://bit.ly/hO81a6 [...]

2 worshacfJanuary 5, 2011 at 8:45 am

Moderator, why are you allowing the spam? Sleeping again?

3 Andy HatchettJanuary 5, 2011 at 9:19 am

Worshacf Re: #4

The spam was posted last night- Provo is just now opening for business. The people posting Blog articles do not monitor the Blog 24/7.

I sent Jen e-mail last night about it. Give her time to get to work and take care of it.

4 Jen HodnettJanuary 5, 2011 at 10:17 am

Thanks Andy. I’ve marked the spam comments as spam and they should be gone now.

5 Chuck WolfeJanuary 5, 2011 at 5:01 pm

It is now 6:oo PM EST and it is still down

6 MonikaJanuary 5, 2011 at 5:27 pm

…Hhhhmmmm! I was working in ancestry.de (the German ancestry site), where it stated, in German, that the system would be down on January 6 at 9 a.m. Since I am living in the U.S., I would love to know whether we are talking January 6 at 9 a.m., OUR time or THEIR time (meaning Germany)! All I know is that the site “froze up” on me in the middle of a project. To test whether it was my main computer, I switched to my second (latest model) computer/laptop. But the same thing happened. I am having a difficult time getting on the site, let alone accomplishing anything on it. Would love it if you could be a little bit clearer on what you mean when you say “January 6 at 9 a.m.! Right now, it should be January 6, 12:25 a.m. in Germany. So, either way, the system should not freeze up on me!

7 Jen HodnettJanuary 5, 2011 at 5:43 pm

The maintenance hasn’t begun. It’s scheduled for 1am Mountain Standard Time (US time zone) which corresponds with 9am in Germany.

8 Tim EastmanJanuary 5, 2011 at 6:14 pm

Around 5:30 pm central time today Ancestry.com became super slow. So you must have started your maintenance early. If not, then please explain why twitter, facebook and other blogs have a lot of people experiencing the same thing. It takes longer to search a census and I can’t even load a census image because it hangs.
I expect all of this to be COMPLETELY cleared up by tomorrow. I don’t pay a large membership fee to be blocked access to your site.

9 MonikaJanuary 5, 2011 at 6:51 pm

Thanks for the prompt reply, Jen! But, like #8, I agree, in that case it would be nice to know why the system is so slow now. Hate to have your site “freeze up” on me in the middle of a project, without any warning!

10 Ariel Elizabeth Utt RawlsJanuary 5, 2011 at 7:38 pm

I bought a FamilySearch Ancestry File, updated to paf 5.5 almost fourteen ago, I have almost 100,000 entries separated into an Utt File and A Rawl file. I would like to see my Utt/Rawls Tree now until youneed it for maintenance.

11 JamesJanuary 5, 2011 at 8:13 pm

Sorry for the slow down. I’ve been merging Census records (about 100 records + images this evening!)

Regards,

12 bethJanuary 6, 2011 at 3:08 am

Okay, it is 1:07 A.M. PST and the site is not back up and running. The scheduled hour is OVER.

13 jamieJanuary 6, 2011 at 3:31 am

Still waiting……. It’s way past the scheduled “one hour” of maintenance.

14 bethJanuary 6, 2011 at 3:33 am

Okay, it is now 1:32 A.M. PST and STILL no family tree or shoebox access. Why does it alway seem that these updates, maintenance, and improvements are more trouble than they are worth?????

15 bethJanuary 6, 2011 at 3:50 am

Okay, it is now 1:48 A.M. 1/6/11 and NO ACCESS. For a few brief moments, the trees seemed back but with NO home person, and NO last viewed. I’m going to keep posting so everyone can see how long this 1 hour maintenance actually lasted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16 jamieJanuary 6, 2011 at 3:58 am

How about an update on when everything will be up and running? Getting frustrated.

17 bethJanuary 6, 2011 at 4:04 am

2:02 A.M. PST — service seems to be back. Two hours of a one hour “scheduled maintenance”. Will let everyone know if it’s the real deal.

18 Andy HatchettJanuary 6, 2011 at 4:10 am

Beth Re: #17

I learned a Loooong time ago that when they mention it will take x hours to double that time!

19 bethJanuary 6, 2011 at 4:18 am

2:16 A.M. PST, “check back soon” and “iternal error has occurred”. What drek!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20 bethJanuary 6, 2011 at 4:25 am

2:24 A.M. PST “your family tree is unavailable, please try again in a few minutes.”

21 bethJanuary 6, 2011 at 4:29 am

Andy Hatchett, what is the value of X so that I can correctly compute when I can continue to use this over-priced subscription which was raised from 99$ per year to 155$ without my knowledge????????????????????????????

22 Andy HatchettJanuary 6, 2011 at 4:43 am

Beth Re: #21

They said 1 hour so double that would be two hours plus or minus- and it was back up in approximately 2 hours so it being down now is unscheduled maint…

As to raising your subscription rate without you knowledge- read the automatic renewal notice. Renewals are charges at the going subscription rate at the time of renewal. It says nothing about says nothing about them being renewed at previous rate the time of the subscription.

And there was an announcement of the price increase-so if you didn’t check to see what the new renewal rate was I fail to see how you can fault Ancestry for your lack of due diligence.

23 bethJanuary 6, 2011 at 4:44 am

2:43 A.M. PST “Your family tree is unavailable”

24 bethJanuary 6, 2011 at 4:46 am

Re #22 — they should send e-mail to all subscribers. Obviously, they want the automatic renewal, regardless. Blaming it on the subscriber is more drek!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

25 bethJanuary 6, 2011 at 5:01 am

3:01 A.M. PST — Ancestry.com is now in its third hour of a one hour scheduled maintenance! If they need 3 hours, then STATE THAT!!!! Don’t BS everyone.

26 Andy HatchettJanuary 6, 2011 at 5:08 am

Beth Re: #24

Read your terms of service.

What Ancestry should or shouldn’t do in terms of renewal policy is their decision alone and not something to be decided by subscribers

When something is the subscriber’s fault there is no one else to blame it on.

And the $99 subscription offer- that was available in 2006 wasn’t it??

Methinks it is time to get over it dear!

27 bethJanuary 6, 2011 at 5:10 am

Nobody asked you. What do you do, work for them? I remember when the site was free. After they roped everyone in with that, then they started charging. I expect them to give me the service that I PAY for.

28 Andy HatchettJanuary 6, 2011 at 5:12 am

Beth Re: #25

You are incorrect.

They finished the one hour scheduled maintenance in approximately two hours and the trees came back up.

Something went wrong and they are now 1 hour into an unscheduled maintenance.

29 jamieJanuary 6, 2011 at 5:13 am

“appears” to be back up and running…finally…hopefully for good.

30 bethJanuary 6, 2011 at 5:16 am

#28 BS! They still aren’t providing the proper service at these prices. Enough already! I won’t be tuning back in for another of your stupid remarks.

31 Andy HatchettJanuary 6, 2011 at 5:18 am

Nope- I don’t work for them. Just another user.

Ancestry does a lot that it can be blamed for- but a user’s lack of due diligence isn’t one of them.

As to giving you “the service I PAY for”…
Again- read your terms of service…
You pay to use the service when it is available and nowhere does Ancestry state that it will be available 24/7/365.

32 David GrahamJanuary 6, 2011 at 5:37 am

As some of you have noted, our downtime for member trees lasted longer than we expected. We apologize for the inconvenience. We had some unexpected challenges during our scheduled maintenance, but member trees should be available for everyone again now. Thank you for your patience.

33 Andy HatchettJanuary 6, 2011 at 5:51 am

David!!

Good to see “the boss” was there!

;)

34 MonikaJanuary 6, 2011 at 2:23 pm

Hi, Andy, Don’t you guys EVER sleep? Noticing if a system is down at 2 o’clock in the morning, that’s not my thing! :-) But I do love the results of the “maintenance”. And, since I have not had the opportunity to talk to you since the New Year: My very best wishes for a happy and healthy New Year to you, Andy, and many thanks for all the invaluable help you have been to me in 2010.

Love ya,

Monika

35 Andy HatchettJanuary 6, 2011 at 4:52 pm

Monika,

Thanks for the kind words. May your New Year be, in the words of my great nephew, “Wondermusly Happy”.

36 bethJanuary 6, 2011 at 11:35 pm

To David Graham: The screen is now glaringly white. Very hard on the eyes. Your company needs to soften this.

37 MonikaJanuary 7, 2011 at 3:55 am

#35

Out of the mouth of babes! :-)

38 Bob EschJanuary 8, 2011 at 2:44 pm

Is it just my computer, or is the Ancestry site exceedingly slow? I have noticed it when I am trying to add census results for a particular person, but the navigation in general seems unusually slow, compared to yesterday. Best Wishes to all, and especially to Andy.

39 Victoria L ClarkJanuary 8, 2011 at 7:05 pm

It is 5:02 in Southern California. The site says that there are too many people on line. I think it is kind of wierd to spend all that money on advertizing on major TV networks and not spend enough money on bandwidth. I have gotten this message so many times in the last year. I am log in somewhere else. I only have one computer. I can erase all my history, passwords, etc and restart and it still tells me that I can get in and there are no customer service reps available. For the money that you spend on advertising, you should pay some employees to man the phones. This is an expensive site. I have spent over three thousand dollars in subscriptions in the past years.