In Minutes You Can Preserve Centuries

Posted by Kenny Freestone on October 29, 2010 in Ancestry.com Site, Digitization, Family Trees

They say a picture is worth a thousand words.  Some pictures, however, are priceless.

For example, these photos of my grandpa Jerry Ogden (who died when I was too young to have any memory of him) are priceless to me.

Our ancestors were living, breathing people. And they left behind visual cues to their lives, like photographs, documents and stories. When you add these details to your tree family, the history you share is more exciting and complete, and it’s a great way to get kids or grandkids interested in learning more.

Sometimes scanning in all those pictures can feel like an overwhelming project, but it can go pretty quickly with a digital camera.  A few months ago while visiting my grandma, I grabbed my camera and quickly photographed a bunch of papers and artifacts from grandpa’s world war II days.

It took less than an hour to preserve the whole shoebox.  So go dig out those old boxes of photos and documents and put them somewhere everyone can appreciate them — in your Ancestry.com family tree.

Your family tree can be either public or private, so you can share those family photos and memories with just your relatives, or you can also let everyone enjoy Grandpa’s incredible handlebar mustache.

We’ve recently made lots of improvements to make uploading all kinds of media a snap.

It just takes a few simple steps:

1.  Click on an ancestor in your family tree.
2.  Click the “upload photos” link in the media gallery.
3.  Select the images you want to add from your computer.
4.  That’s it.

Comments
1 Andy HatchettOctober 29, 2010 at 10:34 am

Kenny,

How many pictures is TOO many pictures?

I’ve seen several posts about Ancestry’s Member Trees that can’t be downloaded into Family Tree Maker because of their size.

Are there limits, and if so exactly what are they?

2 Kenny FreestoneOctober 29, 2010 at 2:13 pm

Hi Andy,

We haven’t published a limit on the number of pictures a member can upload. Our 2011 release of Family Tree Maker has several changes and new abilities for managing the download of extra large files, which should address the issue you mention.

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Ancestry.com, sahim kamal. sahim kamal said: In Minutes You Can Preserve Centuries http://bit.ly/aOHZZw [...]

4 Jeff JahnOctober 29, 2010 at 8:54 pm

Well what ever you didnt in ftm 2011 does seem to have addressed the problem. And when on earth are we going to get the merge feature in ftm tree fix this is very frustrating. About all my copy of Family Tree Maker is good for right now is a paper weight!

5 Laurie BarthlowOctober 30, 2010 at 7:14 am

Hi, Kenny – The pictures on the family tree are the very best part, and I probably have more than most in my online tree. That there is no limit to the amount of space we can take up is a real benefit of Ancestry. One thing, though; I would really like to be able to change the order of the pictures as they appear on the particular profile pages. That is an overdue enhancement!

6 MarieOctober 30, 2010 at 5:57 pm

I would like this also and many other have mentioned we would like to chose the order. Also when I add the same picture to many people in my tree I would like to be able to review this. When I click on “see more” I don’t seem to see more. Also, since it has been suggested as a good idea to save images of sources, even those provided by ancestry (in order to put them in the timeline); it is definately important to be able add many onto the tree.

7 Shirley JacobsOctober 31, 2010 at 3:29 pm

I would also like to be able to choose the order of photos on a profile page. Or at least have them shown in chronologial order based on the dates I input. Hope that change is soon.

8 BonnieNovember 1, 2010 at 4:51 am

Kenny,

When will we be able to add video as well as digital photos? I know we can record video, but I’d like to be able to add mpeg files to my tree. Have several old home movies of ancestors that I’d like to add.

9 Kenny FreestoneNovember 1, 2010 at 2:01 pm

Thanks for the comments and feedback. The ability to choose the sort order of photos is on our list, as is the upload video feature.

10 MaryNovember 3, 2010 at 6:32 pm

Also, what resolution do you prefer? For example, I have some unpublished photos that are of military events that seem like you would prefer high resolution, but some photos may not call for that. Our judgement or ?

11 MaryNovember 4, 2010 at 5:05 pm

In chosing the order, I would also like to chose the order after I have attached the item to an event. I would like to give the marriage record from the county preference over the obit. I particularly want to include both record and obit because marriage was between cousins and there is some confusion on issue.