Issues with US 1850, 1860 Census and UK 1871 census.

We are aware of the issues with the US 1850 and 1860 census as well as the UK 1871 census producing strange results in search and having bad links in online trees.

We are working on resolving it as quickly as possible.

Thank you for your patience.

Update: The issue has been resolved, links and search on these data collections should be working normally now.

Anne Mitchell

About Anne Gillespie Mitchell
Anne Gillespie Mitchell is a Senior Product Manager at She is an active blogger on and writes the Ancestry Anne column. She has been chasing her ancestors through Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina for many years. Anne holds a certificate from Boston University's Online Genealogical Research Program, and is currently on the clock working towards certification from the Board for Certification of Genealogists. You can also find her on Twitter, Facebook and Finding Forgotten Stories.


1 judyOctober 4, 2010 at 10:19 am

Hopefully Anne you have inadvertently forgot to include the issues with the indexing of the

London, England, Deaths and Burials, 1813-1980
London, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1906

records that i personally emailed you about!

2 chrisOctober 4, 2010 at 10:34 am

I first encountered this problem late Sunday afternoon. I’m very disappointed that it has taken nearly a full day for the problem to be acknowledged.

3 JadeOctober 4, 2010 at 10:50 am

The problems include:

a) Wrong extract is linked to a Census result for a given person in a household. The wrong link is from both a search result (whether directly in database or from a Tree) and from the link to an already-linked US Census item in individual Tree Overview pages (both in right sidebar list of citations and in the source-citation list);

b) The extract shows a person at the top who is not in the household listed at the bottom;

c) The location given with the person at the top does not go with the household members listed at the bottom of the extract;

d) The link to actual record ~image~ in the extract page goes with the person listed at the top of the page, not with the folks in the houshold listed at the bottom of the extract (“record”).

It’s a kind of daisy chain of coding errors.

4 DannieBOctober 4, 2010 at 11:56 am

Links to 1850 and 1860 census enumerations now SEEM to be working correctly, on the 4 I just checked.

5 Anne MitchellOctober 4, 2010 at 12:04 pm

Judy, we believe we have found the problem with these data collections and hope to have it fixed by tomorrow.

The issues with the 1850, 1860, and 1871 data collections have been fixed.


About the blog

Here you will find informational, and sometimes fun, posts from the folks behind the scenes here at We hope you’ll notice just how passionate we are about family history and about the products we’re building to help connect families over distance and time.


Receive updates from the blog Learn more