Posted by on May 24, 2010 in Member Connect

Call me a dreamer but I think I may be an heir to the city of Seattle.

Okay, not really, not even close. But I did find out that a semi-distant branch of my family tree helped settle King County, Washington. That’s exciting for me, considering all I ever hoped to discover is that my surname is something more than a misspelling.

What’s even better is how I learned about my Seattle connection – from another member of Ancestry.com who saw a familiar name in my family tree (for the sake of full disclosure, it’s not the misspelled line). To make a long story short, this person gave me the contact info for the family’s historian, who was said to have all the details. On a whim, I contacted her; she quickly told me the details about how the family links to the history of the Pacific Northwest and places beyond.

Now my summer goal is to trace my own family line back to this respectable one. True, I probably could have just asked the family historian, but I want to discover the details for myself before I take her up on her offer of a tour of family history hotspots in and around Seattle. (It’s feeling great to be connected.)

I’m also planning to go back through the Member Connect activity notifications I keep thinking I’m too busy to review (they’re listed on the Collaborate tab). I know there’s at least one notification there that pertains to my misspelled family line. Maybe the person who saved that record also has some insight about the original poor speller in the family as well as why no one ever bothered to fix his or her mistake.

A girl can dream, can’t she?

About Jeanie Croasmun

Jeanie Croasmun has been working at Ancestry.com while futilely attempting to prove the horse thief story in her family history for over seven years. During that time, she learned enough about her family to determine that the story is likely a great work of fiction. But the search continues ...

Leah

Please stop dreaming and find my data you lost over the weekend.

May 25, 2010 at 10:11 am
Kyla

Something that you may want to check out is Washington State’s Digital Archives. It has been an invaluable resource to me for my research!

Hope this link is as helpful to you as it has been for me!

May 25, 2010 at 12:29 pm
A.E.

I would prefer to see this blog feature stories of general interest to a broader population. When Ms. Croasmun finally solves an ancestry mystery, write about it. Until then, it’s not too interesting.

May 25, 2010 at 1:40 pm
sammi

I agree with your wanting the thrill of discovery by yourself! And remember many many people did not know how to read or write (and many still don’t) so they simply said their name and someone wrote down what they heard. I have a court document for one of my ancestors in 1623 (yeah, one of the ornery ones) and the scribe spelled his name 4 different ways in the same document! Don’t give up hope OR your dream!

May 25, 2010 at 6:33 pm
Sherry

A tad out of context….my family legend is that my 4X grandfather served as a tailor to the Duke of Wellingon during the Battle of Waterloo. This was “handed down” info.

Although the Duke was somewhat a “dandy”, I take this info with a grain of salt.

Would be cool to prove though ;)

They do keep us guessing!

May 25, 2010 at 7:31 pm
Lyn

I fined this interesting. I live in Seattle and am always interested in those who were early settlers of this area.

One of my family legends is that I am a direct decendent of Mary Stuart of Scotland (Queen of Scots). Haven’t been able to trace back to Scotland yet, but am still looking.

May 29, 2010 at 8:04 am
Andy Hatchett

Have you checked Paul Theorff’s online Gotha file – “Descendants of James I&VI”?

May 29, 2010 at 2:16 pm
Stefi

Okay, so now you’ve got me curious. What’s the correct spelling for your name? :)

May 30, 2010 at 11:49 am