Posted by on April 27, 2010 in Family Trees

The Ancestry.com Family Tree Service will undergo scheduled maintenance tonight for a short time beginning at about 11:30 PM Mountain Standard Time.

During this time Ancestry Member Trees, OneWorldTree, some portions of My Canvas, the sections of the Home Page that are related to Member Trees, and the sections of MyFamily.com that are related to Member Trees will be unavailable.

For the vast majority of our members living outside Mountain Time, 11:30 PM MST is the same as…

Coordinated Universal Time: 06:30
In London: 6:30 AM
In Melbourne: 5:30 PM
In San Francisco: 10:30 PM
In New York: 1:30 AM
In Moscow: 9:30 AM
In Rome: 7:30 AM
In Tokyo: 3:30 PM

James

Thank you for providing the times in other locations.

Regards,

April 27, 2010 at 4:57 pm
william maxey

would’nt this be special if tonights maintenance corrects the many errors with my member tree. most importantly photos from my member tree being able to be imported to ftm 2010. hmmm wishful thinking

April 27, 2010 at 6:37 pm
John H

Kenny

I appreciate your efforts to give the maintenance times in many time zones — however, it is also good to get it right. First, since it is summer — I almost sure you did at 1130 PM MDT (not MST as you posted in several places.) Second, England also goes on daylight time so London is still 7 hrs ahead of Mountain Time (but Universal Time does not go on daylight time so when you go daylight time, universal time is now only 6 hours ahead of MT. Also remember Melbourne is in the southern hemisphere so they are on standard time (since it is our summer/their winter) and they go on daylight time in our winter. See http://www.worldtimezone.com/ for details.

April 28, 2010 at 5:22 am
John H

PS — That means Melbourne is now 16 hours ahead of MDT whereas in our winter/their summer — they are 18 hours of MST. They also don’t all change on the same date in the spring and fall — so be careful in transition seasons.

April 28, 2010 at 5:27 am
Marva Brazelton
April 28, 2010 at 8:05 am
Andy Hatchett

Kenny,

Just a suggestion but why not just post the local Utah time and a link to a timezone chart and leave it up to the individual what their local time will be.

;)

April 28, 2010 at 1:52 pm
Rachel

Ummm…I didn’t hear about this before-hand, and I’m just about PANICKING because my entire tree has dissappeared…I really hope this is why. I also really hope it will show back up soon.

April 29, 2010 at 12:50 am
beth

According to my calendar and clock, on Pacific Standard Time, this interruption in service is occurring a this very moment on APRIL 28 not APRIL 27 which was YESTERDAY.

April 29, 2010 at 12:54 am
beth

So, it is now APRIL 29, 2010 and there is still no access to Family Trees.

April 29, 2010 at 1:03 am
Rachel

Yeah, Beth, me too. I am panicking. When I posted my comment above, I didn’t even realize the day they claimed the maintenance would happen isn’t accurate. At least for us…My date and time right now is April 29, 2010 12:12 AM.

April 29, 2010 at 1:12 am
beth

Rachel, even on Mountain Time THE DATE would be the same even if they are an hour later than PST. So this event should have occurred two days ago. Also, there was no banner alert on the Ancestry front page over the last evening or two.

April 29, 2010 at 1:17 am
Sheila

Why is it down tonight April 29th at 11:45 PM when you posted April 27th? Is just down AGAIN? I can’t log on tonight. Unbelievable…trying to log on with limited time at night and just can’t get on. Are the times and dates wrong or just down again?

April 29, 2010 at 1:18 am
Rachel

The thing that has me the most worried is that it is letting me log on, but my tree has vanished.

April 29, 2010 at 1:21 am
beth

It will come back, it’s just a matter of WHEN. I’ve never lost anything (data) except ACCESS TIME.

What does “Kenny” define as a short time? It’s already been an hour…

April 29, 2010 at 1:24 am
Scott Sparks

Who woulda thunk an organization dedicated to HISTORY could get a date wrong? I’m with those above who are praying that the announced maintenance is just a day late and a dollar short and that is the reason that all of my trees, including over two years of research, have suddenly disappeared.

April 29, 2010 at 1:48 am
Enid

Its now 08:50 British Summer Time and still down – yet more time wasted!

April 29, 2010 at 1:51 am
Margi

Ancestry needs to do a better job to alert their subscribers at least 24 hours prior to the start of any family tree maintenance so members can schedule their research time accordingly.

April 29, 2010 at 1:52 am
Mary Beth Marchant

So-oo-Kenny-when you posted the announcement on the 27th and said tonight-which I took to mean tonight the 27th of April going into the morning of the 28th of April-you really meant tomorrow night the 28th of April going into the morning of the 29th of April.

I wondered why I could still access my trees early on the morning of the 28th. But what does a “short time” really mean?

April 29, 2010 at 2:11 am
Honora

It is now 1:30 a.m. in California, April 29, 2010 and I am still unable to enter my Myer Family Tree. Is this normal?

I hope it will be available to me by noon April 29, Pacific time.

April 29, 2010 at 2:31 am
Bobby Linzey

I have just tried to view photos on several family sites and each time no photos appear. Please tell me that this area will still be available after you finish your work. Bobby Linzey Cumming Ga

April 29, 2010 at 6:30 am
John H

Everything appears back up. Sounds like not only do you need to learn about time zones around the world –but how to read a calendar. However, the initial notice was posted on Apr 27 and said “tonight” so was Kenny misinformed, the maintenance postponed by 24 hours and no update posted or was there also an unplanned outage. Would nice to hear from ancestry.com directly on this blog as to what happened.

April 29, 2010 at 6:41 am
Kenny Freestone

Let me begin with my apologies for the confusion and misinformation with this recent downtime. We were set to begin the work april 27 as indicated, but as you noticed we were not able to actually begin the work as scheduled. Compounding this delay, I was not able until now to provide a timely update to this post. The maintenance was successfully performed early this morning.

April 29, 2010 at 8:35 am