Posted by on March 12, 2010 in Family Tree Maker, Webinars

If you’ve mastered the basics of Family Tree Maker and you’re ready to learn more, join us for a free webinar on June 16th at 8:00 pm Eastern Daylight Time. Watch as the experts demonstrate some of the advanced features available in Family Tree Maker 2010. You’ll learn how to work with the Web Merge feature, resolve unidentified place names, export different branches of your family tree, and much more. To attend the Advanced Topics webinar, click here to register.

And if you have questions you’d like answered, please enter them in the Comments section below. We’ll try to respond to them during the webinar or on the blog. (Please limit your questions to functionality available in Family Tree Maker 2010.) We appreciate your questions and look forward to talking to you soon. Thanks!

Have you missed past webinars? You can view them any time at FamilyTreeMaker.com.

Lynn

Thank you for requesting questions.

Regarding media file, is there a way within FTM that you can alter the actual file name as well as the caption name?

Regarding source citations, is there a way to order source citations associated with a specific individual or universally across all FTM records other than date of entry of the source citation within FTM. If this does not exist, when do you expect to offer this functionality.

March 12, 2010 at 9:33 am
John Wootton

When will we be able to upload large files (in excess of 75 mb) to ancestry.com? I have 6900+ names and a lot of media files which I want to upload with my Tree.

Thanks
John

March 12, 2010 at 10:38 am
helenevansstaas

When will you add merge to Ancestry.com. It is vital. We get bogged down with duplicate people and need a way to weed them out.

March 12, 2010 at 1:15 pm
Andy Hatchett

Helen,

Most duplicate people are caused by users doing merges and not paying enough attention to what they are doing to begin with.

Proper care and due diligence on the part of the person doing data enter can eliminate 99% of duplicates.

For the duplicates that do get thru I’ve found deletion and re-entry to be less time consuming that merging.

March 12, 2010 at 1:34 pm
Larry Czarnik

Thanks again for putting together a FTM webinar.

A couple of requests.

1) How about a little more info / examples (maybe even a dedicated webinar) on using Ancestry.com with FTM, specifically to downloading a tree from FTM and then uploading any changes back to FTM and then downloading FTM tree back to Ancestry and how you would recommend getting around the shortcoming of having to re-invite family & friends to the updated tree on Ancestry.com?

2) How to resolve “duplicate” place names – i.e. you have one “Detroit, Wayne, MI, USA” and there is a 2nd one in the place names and you can’t seem to “merge” them or get only 1 instance?

3) Oh and for the new person, never having used FTM, a definitive list of FTM features, a list of ALL the reports, charts, etc. and maximum capacities (# individuals, marriages, media items, size of notes, etc.) rather then the very limited – these are what is different in 2010 then 2009 or 2008 feature list that currently is displayed on the “features” page of the FTM web site.

4) How to have more than just icons for PDF, Word and other non-picture media files? Previous versions seem to have allowed a image of the PDF page or Word document, and while these “old” media items still show there “images” rather then icons, the new non-picture media items only show the icons.

Well that’s it for now, or until I think of others. See you on the 24th (well 25th in Australia!)

Regards,
Larry
2010MR13 10:00 Sydney, MR12 18:00 US EST

March 12, 2010 at 3:59 pm
John Donaldson

# 5 Larry

This one is very easy

Go to you place list

Right click on the place you want to replace, a menu appears

Select replace with another place name

Select the place name

Click OK

Job done, quick, elegent and a much cleaner place list

John D

March 12, 2010 at 5:47 pm
Phyllis Geron

Thanks for the wonderfully educational webinars.

I’d really like to learn how to better connect one person across two or more separate family trees. For example, linking my husband between my family tree and his.

March 12, 2010 at 6:31 pm
Joanne

I’m really looking forward to the webinar on the 24th in hopes I can learn some new techniques.

I am very intertested in knowing what plans there are for a version of FTM for Macs?

March 12, 2010 at 9:35 pm
Andy Hatchett

Phyllis,

Unless you are willing to do double entry (on persons, places, dates, repositories, sources, etc.) there is no way to link persons between different trees as each is a completely separate entity.

That is one reason to keep everyone in one main tree and then just split off sub groups as you need them- but ALL updates and additions should be done only in the main tree.

It is much easier to split off a branch for a certain use than it is to merge trees and risk a multitude of duplicates.

March 12, 2010 at 10:58 pm
Alicia

How do I rename my tree?

March 12, 2010 at 11:02 pm
John Donaldson

# 10 Alicia

What version of F TM are you using?

In FTM 2008/0910 from the Plan Workspace on the list of tress in the RH editing panel, right click on the file and slect rename

Don’t forget the .FTM extension

Also you can rename any file in Windows by simply opening Windows Explorer and right click on the file and then select the rename option

Again don’t forget the extension

examples

Smith.FTM rename to Jones.FTM

FTM 2008/09/10

Smith.FTW to Jones.FTW

FTM 16 and lower

John D

March 13, 2010 at 2:43 am
Brenda K

Are there plans to provide printing for some of the larger trees? I have a tree that is 44, 8 1/2 x 11 pages ( measures 229 x 12.18), but I’m not able to create a one page PDF then have it printed large enough that it can be read. I’ve included thumbnails, birth, marriage, death, and name, of course.

March 13, 2010 at 6:06 am
Al

Brenda K.:
If you are using FTM 2010, you can export as one PDF.
I haven’t tried it yet, but from there I assume you can take it to a printing shop.

March 13, 2010 at 9:24 am
g'ma ellie

un-fortunately my original Tree has blossemed when one cousin entered over 200 relies… Now I’m in a quandry and want to make a separate Tree for my own grand-chldn. I’ve been “saving” each separate person into my new Tree, and then re-check Hints. This is quite time-consuming. Is there a better and more accurate way to create my smaller portion of the whole Tree ?

Also – tested using the offered printer to compile my grand-chldn’s book. It only offers 4 generations (me back through my parents, my grands and their parents). Two Families (Hungarian & Finnish) go back to the 1700′s — how can I create the “original” forebears into my printed book ?

This will be my 1st attendance of an onair seminar. Hope I can keep up. Thank you. g’ma ellie

March 13, 2010 at 5:24 pm
Colleen

1)I put my family tree on Ancestry.com several years ago. At the time, I did not know how to merge information that I found. I thought that when I merged information in my FTM it automatically merged into my tree on Ancestry.
Can I delete my tree on Ancestry and upload my updated Family tree to Ancestry (so that I do not have two family trees on your web site)?
2) Is there any way to download pictures and stories from Ancestry members?

March 14, 2010 at 10:19 am
Andy Hatchett

Colleen,

As to deleting your old online tree- it denpends on just what type of tree it was as some of the older tree systems have been retired and can no longer be updated/etc.

You’ll find the links below helpful about both Family Tree Maker and Member Trees.

March 14, 2010 at 12:21 pm
George C

When merging from public member trees I prefer to sometimes skip spouses or children that would duplicate data. (rather than going through the list & delting each fact & source. However when I do this, many times I have to detach/reattach people from family groups to make people show up properly in FTM pedigree view. Is there an easy fix?

March 14, 2010 at 12:39 pm
Charles Stenberg

I really enjoy working on my tree in both Ancestry.com and on Family Tree Maker 2010. I do most of the data entry within Ancestry and from time time merge it into my FTM. I do find, however, that I end up with quite a few “duplicates”. When I attempt to delete the duplicate entries I often end up deleting the wrong entry. It would be tremendously helpful if there the program would warn us if we are about to create a duplicate. I would also appreciate it if there was an “undo” button which would take us back one or two steps.

March 14, 2010 at 1:09 pm
Julie

I’m just not happy with the way FTM 2010 displays relationships. If my first cousin’s child is my first cousin once removed why isn’t is displayed that way? Instead it reads: Great granddaughter of paternal grandmother of Julie. If I remember correctly 2009 did not display that way. It read first cousin 1x removed. And since when I changed to 2010 it did not save my trees in the other format I am forced to use 2010. Why can’t it be an option? If you want relationships to read one way, check the box, otherwise uncheck the box for it to read the other way. Wishing I could go back to FTM 2009.

March 14, 2010 at 1:24 pm
Rita

1. How do you make a big book 1000 pages in 2010? Once you get to about 350 pages you get a message stating that you have run out of memory when you try to preview or print it and it will not print poperly. I suspect that xp doen’t have enough memory. I am considering upgrading to window 7 because it will allow up to 7 or 8 megs of memory while xp maximizes at 4. Would upgrading solve that problem?

2. Does anyone know how to get around 2010 making a mess of french accents. In the register report it will give the code or some wierd combination instead of the accent. It doesn’t matter how the accents were generated. I tried codes, using the accent symbols in word and pasting.

3. In the book in the pedigree report how do you fix the lack of wraping in some of the boxes. Most of them the writing wraps porperly but some of them it just cuts off in mid sentence and continues witht the next line cuts off and continues with the next again. This happens within the same report.

March 14, 2010 at 5:13 pm
Andy Hatchett

I’m not too big on Family Tree Maker but I bought FTM2010 just for that relationship calculator format. I find it much more descriptive of the actual relationship than just first cousin once removed as it specifically states the common link which comes in handy in the more complicated relationships.

March 14, 2010 at 8:31 pm
Kerri, Brisbane, Australia

I and many other users of FTM2010 would like to see ‘Spouse’s father and Spouse’s mother’ to be included in reports as was the case in FTM2006. This has been a very good addition in the past, especially when you have families ‘inter-marrying’ or when a brother & sister of one family marry a sister & brother of another, and by having the Spouse’s father & mother mentioned, it just ‘ties it in’ nicely. Looking forward to listening to the Webinair here on Thursday morning (Aust time).
Thanks
Kerri

March 15, 2010 at 4:32 am
Winnie Mading

Can I safely remove an individual and his/her ancestors without also deleting the descendants? I have learned that the info I have as my supposed g-g-g-g-grandfather is not the right person.

March 15, 2010 at 7:50 am
Angela

If I lose my internet connection while FTM 2010 is running, FTM will tell me there is no connection, but if I re-establish the connection, how do I get FTM to recognize that? I have been having to close the program and restart it.

March 15, 2010 at 9:17 am
Wanda Ruby

I cannot figure out how to make a ged com. I used to be able o do this with mt eyes closed. Ant pointers?

March 15, 2010 at 1:12 pm
John Donaldson

# 24 Angela

John D

March 15, 2010 at 1:20 pm
John Donaldson

# 25 Wanda

What FTM version are you using?

From 2010 got to File>Export and follow the prompts

Also have a look at the GEDCOM items in FTM Help and also on the FTM Knowledge base

Go to http://ftm.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/ftm.cfg/php/enduser/std_alp.php?p_sid=-qpTdfKi and in the keyword search use 523

John D

March 15, 2010 at 1:23 pm
Brenda Higdon

I am having a hard time figuring out establishing a relationship of a child’s parents who are not married or have never been married. If you enter a person’s parents, it automatically creates a marriage between the parents when I don’t want it to.

March 15, 2010 at 1:49 pm
John Donaldson

# 28 Brenda

Firstly what version of FTM are you using?

In FTM 2010 Go to one of the people involved in the union in the People workspace

Click on the Person tab

Click on the Relationship tab

Select the “marriage event” and in the RH editing box under status use the drop down to select the appropriate relationship eg partners, friends, etc

Also don’t forget to edit the ending status if appropriate.

For more info go to the FTM knowledge base http://ftm.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/ftm.cfg/php/enduser/std_alp.php?p_sid=-qpTdfKi and in the keyword search use 3067

Changing Relationships in Family Tree Maker 2008/09/10

John D

March 15, 2010 at 2:45 pm
Evelyn Walters

I can access the tree feature that will show what volume and tree about them. However, what do I do after that to view the volume and tree. It says download is complete, but it is not there.

I have Windows7. And FTM 2010.

Thanks, Evelyn

March 15, 2010 at 3:14 pm
Dinah

I have FTM 2010 and am now trying to improve my place names.I used to put a full address in the place field but now find that this confuses the mapping ability.I am now amending place to something the map will find easily and am putting the detailed address in the description field.Is this what you recommend, and is there a quick way to alter the old entries?

Another query is how to search a specific database on Ancestry without having to go through whatever is automatically offered and kind of backwards to where you want to be, ie straight to a particular church’s record or a Directory?

Thanks

March 15, 2010 at 8:49 pm
Barbara Hamman

I keep going back to FTM 2006 version because of
the organization of my media in my scrapbook. I spent many hours placing the pictures in a certain order. My pictures and documents are in date order. Starting with the birth records, baby pictures, marriage records, marriage pictures, deeds, census records and moving forward until death, a picture of the death record and then final being the tomstone. My media is a timeline.
I don’t like a picture of a tombstone in the middle of my wedding pictures or baby pictures. Why can’t the media be pulled into 2009 and 2010 in the same order as the originating file? I love certain features about the newer programs, but do not plan to depend on them until the media file can be pulled in as organized. I pull in an updated file so that I can search and work in the newer programs. I just received the 2010 today, so I am looking forward to learning the new features. Are there any plans to correct this feature?

Thanks

March 15, 2010 at 8:59 pm
C J Grandmaison

I have most edtions of FTM from 3 through 2010.
I prefer to use FTM 16. The newer editions (2008, 2009, and 2010) show erronious relationships.
For example: The children of my ancestral Grandparents are shown as being 1st cousins, when they should be identified as Uncles or Aunts.
I can not trust those latest editions.

March 16, 2010 at 3:59 am
Mary Ellis

Please tell me you are working on making the reports more like 2006. I really miss them and only recently changed to 2010 because of the lack of good reports.
I miss the interactive reports, being able to click on a person and change data while in the report, to sort without exporting to excel, etc.
Also please make the custom report a TRUE custom report, don’t pre-format it for us, we are all so different you can’t know what we want because we use this program in so many different ways.
Please as someone above said, put parents of spouse back in the available items to add to reports, especially the outline descendent tree.
OH, and another thing, the description field’s, I feel they really should be fastfill fields (or have a option) especially the burial field — that would allow all cemetery data to be added the same also I have a custom field called obituary and I put the newspaper in the description field, if it were fastfill they would all be the same.
And I am probably the only one that this bothers, but I would love to have the right side where you do all your data entry in the middle, it just feels uncomfortable having it to the side, I make it much bigger so that it doesn’t seem so out of place, and that squeezes the middle section up. It’s just strange to be looking at the side of your monitor all the time instead of looking straight at the monitor. Like I said it’s probably just me… but it does bother me. (maybe it could be customizable, drag and drop kind of thing.)

March 16, 2010 at 9:35 am
What Is Ancestry.com Login | Tech News

[...] Family Tree Maker Webinar on March 24th1) How about a little more info / examples (maybe even a dedicated webinar) on using Ancestry.com with FTM, specifically to downloading a tree from FTM and then uploading any changes back to FTM and then downloading FTM tree back to …. Login again on the Plan View. John D. 27 John DonaldsonMarch 15, 2010 at 1:23 pm. # 25 Wanda. What FTM version are you using? From 2010 got to File>Export and follow the prompts. Also have a look at the GEDCOM items in FTM Help and also … Read more [...]

March 16, 2010 at 2:06 pm
Lynda

I printed a chart and wanted the submitter info on it. Instead of my name, it printed the name of one of my cousins. I can’t figure out how to get my name on it. HELP, please!

Thank you.

March 16, 2010 at 5:12 pm
Mildred

I am new to Family Tree Maker 2010. I have entered lots of family members and I noticed that children are sometimes connected to the father and sometimes they are connected to the mother. Should they be entered with both parents? Or do I have to enter them just with their fathers or just with their mothers?

March 16, 2010 at 7:33 pm
John Donaldson

# 35 Linda

Please advise what version of FTM you are using.

In FTM 2010, go to Tools>User Information and add your details that you want to see on reports and charts.

In the charts and reports that support user information in the RH editing panel you will see the box “include Preparer information”

Tick that box

You information will be added to the report

John D

March 17, 2010 at 2:05 am
John Donaldson

# 36 Mildred

You normally enter both parernts (the female with her maiden name), then enter the children in the children’s area. (Note the children’s arranging and sorting controls to the right just above the children’s areas in the familiy View)

Could I suggest that as you are new to FTM that you also go to Help>Training Tutorials and have a look at these particularly the first three which cover these points.

I also suggest that you go to the link http://www.familytreemaker.com/Support/ and look at the webinars

John D

March 17, 2010 at 2:10 am
Robert Arens

#34, I also want 2010 to have the same CUSTOM REPORT features as V16. I now export back to V16 in order to make a decent custom report. Also in 2010 I want SPOUSE and PARENTS OF SPOUSE as facts that can be included in custom reports. In V16, SPOUSE is a fact that can be included. In the case where parents are either married or unmarried, what single word would best describes them in the FACT list? It’s not PARTNERS, partners seems to be a FACT that means business partners. I don’t think it would be SPOUSE because spouse means married.
I’ve been using 2010 every day for months. I like to use ‘shortcuts’ for source entry. I like 2010 best among the top 4 genealogy softwares that I’ve purchased and tried over the past 6 months, but it is a bit too slow to key strokes. I have 1.73 GHz and 2.99 GB RAM.
Bob Arens

March 17, 2010 at 5:53 am
Todd Rathkamp

Not sure if this has been discussed, but all this talk of merging, uploading, downloading, etc. is ridiculous. Ancestry, FTM need to quickly come up with a sync solution.

March 17, 2010 at 6:23 am
Stacy Benoit

I’m trying to print a Register Report but it would certainly be nice to be able to add photos to this report….. Also how many photos can I add into Family Tree Maker 2010?

March 17, 2010 at 9:50 am
John Donaldson

# 41 Stacy

If you export your Register report to RTF through the Share Module and open it in Word you can add photos

The RTF is a bit “ropey” but you can do it

Unlike FTM 16 and earlier, you don’t add photos to FTM 2010, you link them from your hard drive. FTM makes a thumbnail which it can use in certain reports and charts if the link is broken. It also offers you the choice of linking from the hard drive direct or making a copy to a folder called the media center and linking them from there.

Go to your Help in FTM and click on the training tutorial item and look at the media tutorial

Effectively there is no limit as all you are doing is creating links and thumbnails.

John D

March 17, 2010 at 2:58 pm
Teri Chaffin

I would like tips on producing a book with Family Tree Maker 2010

March 17, 2010 at 7:19 pm
Kathy Marie

Comment on Larry Czarnik Number 5, Item 4) dealing with Media Icons

Larry see Item 32 dated March 17, 2010 under “Family Tree Maker: Organizing Media Files” Posted by Tana L. Pedersen on March 8, 2010. I have repeated the suggestion below for your convenience — Try it yourself – I think It will help with the issue you outlined

Suggestion for Tana L. Pedersen

[The suggestion is also for other users of FTM 2010 reading this “blog” who desire to check out/understand the suggestion]

The suggestion deals with “Media” in FTM 2010 – It is a little pedantic, but just follow along

1-Choose a very colorful photograph of say one person
2-Scan that photograph to JPEG at a fairly high rate, say 300 DPI
3-Crop, Edit, Resize the photograph so that the final scanned image is 7” X 9”
4-Create a MS Word document consisting of one page
5-Copy and Paste the scanned image onto the MS Word Document
6- Add a header (Full Caps, Bold, Font 14) at the top of the photograph, showing, say, the name of the person
7- Add a footer (Full Caps, Bold, Font 14) at the bottom of the photograph indicating, say, where and when the photograph was taken
8- Save the MS Word document, say, using the Title “Photograph of (add person’s name)”

After you have saved the finalized MS Word document do two things:

1-Add a copy of the document you created in step 8 above to the Media Collection File in FTM 2010 and look at the thumbnail icon that FTM 2010 shows

2- “Acquire”* a copy of “PaperPort” software (say PaperPort Professional 11) sold by Nuance. Use PaperPort to view the document you created in step 8 above (view the document in thumbnail mode). Look at the document in thumbnail mode and compare the PaperPort thumbnail mode to the FTM 2010 thumbnail icon.

If you believe the PaperPort thumbnail mode does a better job of describing/showing the contents of the document than the FTM 2010 thumbnail icon does then send a suggestion to the developers of FTM 2010 suggesting that they look into the possibility of using the Technology/Software that PaperPort uses to create/show the MS Word icons used in FTM 2010

* Tana, I would hope that somewhere in your company you should be able to easily acquire a copy of PaperPort—it is a very powerful program

PS: For all you users of FTM 2010 whose media is in the form of MS Word or PDF this suggestion will greatly enhance the icons you presently see in the FTM 2010 Media File

March 18, 2010 at 5:37 am
Lynda

I updated to FTM 2010 awhile ago. I just printed a register report and all the notes I entered are there for an individual, but I can’t find them on the screen. Where are all my notes stored and where do I go to look at them and to add to them?

Thanks for your help.

March 19, 2010 at 11:38 am
Sharon

I recently upgraded to FTM2010. It took me a while to get used to but I now think it is terrific. (Help Function is very good).
I want to create a book and love alot of the templates available. However, I would like to have the flexibility to add photo’s and delete/insert/change text of templates within the family tree maker program (before converting to an alternate format.

March 19, 2010 at 6:20 pm
John Donaldson

# 45 Lynda

In the People>Person View and click on the Notes tab at the lower part of the screen. This will show you the Gneral Notes for a person. These can be formatted and you can also paste into them. You can have about 1 MB of Notes per person or about 250 pages.

Note that in FTM you can have Notes, Research Notes and Private Notes

Also in the Person View you can have Notes for every fact that you enter. In the RH panel click on Options and diaplay Fact Notes

or

In the People>Family View in the RH editing panel click on the Notes tab

John D

March 19, 2010 at 11:00 pm
Ivy Shelley

Hi! Two questions please.

I have FTM 2010, updated from FTM 2009.

(1)
What I wold like to is; if I need to un-install and re-install it, do I have to do this with both FTM CDS, one after the other?(2009 and 2010)

(2)
If I only need to use the 2010 version, then do I need to keep the older FTM 2009 CD?

March 21, 2010 at 1:45 am
Tricia Stewart

Hi! I recently upgraded to FTM 2010. How do you view the source information ONLY for the person you are currently viewing? I’d like to see what I have on the person before I merge in duplicate data. However, when I go to sources while on a person, it’s not listing the source information strictly on the person. I’m accessing sources from the menu bar because I didn’t see another way in. Is this causing the problem?

March 21, 2010 at 9:19 am
Malcolm Northrup

Why can we not merge trees we find on Ancestry? The only way to do it seems to be one person at a time. I do remember back in the late 90′s (forgive the old persons input) that we could merge entire trees from some point on. My tree with several thousand persons needs new input not only because many of the trees originally used (and sourced) are no longer there, but also because of the many new and better sourced trees are now available.

March 21, 2010 at 2:09 pm
June Moore

My father had an extramarital relation which produced children. How do I enter these individuals into my family tree?? It lists extra spouses but does not cover this situation. Thank you.

March 21, 2010 at 2:33 pm
Lynn

Tana, Regarding my prior request about media files (#1, Lynn), I figured out how to “alter the actual file name as well as the caption” within FTM (i.e., within the Media tab/view, you can edit media file name by right click media image and then select “Rename Media File” as well as edit media caption via the same tab/view.)

A related topic about media files that I would welcome in the Webinar — Does Ancestry.com/FTM have any recommendations on the naming of media files? For example, current or future FTM functionality would be maximized if an individual named their media files in SurName_FirstName-YearSource format and/or otherwise.

March 22, 2010 at 3:53 pm
Lynn

#49 Tricia Stewart
I did not entirely understand your question, but ideally the below assists you.

1) You can view source citations associated with a specific individual via the “People” tab/view. That information should be on the right side of the “Person” screen.

2)Alternatively, in the upper left side of the “Sources” tab/view you should see “List by:” select from the drop down “Person” and either enter their name into the “Find:” or scroll down the list of names. This should allow you to filter out all source citations that you have not linked to that individual.

March 22, 2010 at 4:12 pm
Ruth

Looking forward to the webinar!
I would like to know how to indicate that a child is adopted and birthdate unknown.
Thanks.

March 24, 2010 at 4:50 pm
Ruth

Its 5 minutes prior to the webinar and no button on the page ‘Event Loggy(Event:1929…..

March 24, 2010 at 4:55 pm
Ruth

i signed up for March 24th webinar and received link to this May 19th webinar. What happened to March 24th?

March 24, 2010 at 5:03 pm
Ruth

Sorry for the messages – I just the note about the change in date! Sorry for the confusion.

March 24, 2010 at 5:05 pm