Posted by on December 4, 2009 in Family Trees

Today we updated the preview of our new family tree pedigree view.   The updates are based on feedback our members have sent to us as they have experimented with the new view.  In all, thousands of feedback messages have been sent and have been very helpful.

Based on the feedback we’ve received we are making several changes to the preview.  The result is a visual style more akin to our current pedigree viewer while retaining what’s great about the new one – the ability to pan & zoom, extend beyond 5 generations and do a full-screen view.  The changes to the preview include:

• Highlighting hints better
  • Making fonts easier to read
  • Making the look and feel of the nodes “warmer”
  • Making a skinnier 5th generation node so we can fit more nodes on the page in the same vertical height
  • Changing the navigation when you click on a name.  It will now take you to the ancestor profile page instead of making that node the “focus” node.
  • We’ve made the preview “sticky” so that once you enter it we’ll make that your preferred view until you click to exit the preview.

You can see these changes in your own family tree by clicking the link to “Check out a preview of the new pedigree view…” at the top of the pedigree view in your own family tree.

Nancy

Thanks, Kenny–it’s so much better! I can even see the 5 generations on my smaller notebook screen. And the photos are great! [but there does seem to be some glitchy thing going on with the photos--sometimes they are cropped again, and it varies which ones when I go in and out of the tree view.]

December 4, 2009 at 3:29 pm
Nancy

Kenny, here’s a question: if I change the focus person, is there a way to get that to “stick”? I am going through the hints, and started with myself in the tree view, showing the 5 generations. After I cleared those, I wanted to go to my father as the focus person so that I could go out another generation. But every time I return to the tree view, I am back with myself as the focus person.

December 4, 2009 at 3:41 pm
MaryLou Klemm

I wonder how to get to the old
button: Relationships to famous
people? It seems to have dissapeared,
or I just don’t know where to find it.

Also…are you making cd’s of our
trees….if so…how much do they cost?

December 4, 2009 at 3:48 pm
Andy Hatchett

MAryLoy Re: #3

That “Relationship to Famous People” thing is as replete with gross errors as the “OneWorldTree” and isn’t worth the pixels it takes to put it on screen.

It is just one more example of the junkology Ancestry has indulged in and inflicted on the genealogical community.

They should be ashamed to even offer links to either it or OneWorldTree.

December 4, 2009 at 3:59 pm
Kenny Freestone

Hi Nancy–glad you like it better! We’ll have a look at the focus person–I agree it seems like it should be “sticky”.

MaryLou–The button is on the ancestor profile page. Look for the “more options” link in the ribbon under the person’s info.

–Kenny

December 4, 2009 at 4:22 pm
Andy Hatchett

Kenny,

Congrats- the new pedigree is a*big* improvement.

Looking forward to more of the same.

December 4, 2009 at 6:32 pm
kitchendoc

Slow, Slow, Slow, Slower, Slowest!
Takes sooo much longer to use! First download your tree – that had all of the pictures in it – then download all of your pictures (4 at a time) because the tree download didn’t take them! New and Improved?????
Sorry, I don’t think so. And the upgrade? It still freezes and turns itself off when ever it wants too.
And yes, there is a real glichy thing with the photos and also a lot of the magazine, newspaper and book excerpts. You might want to look at how they were uploaded to your site. Run your cursor over a lot of them and they flutter all over the place.
Because the new Family Tree is so slow I’ve been finding it faster to do my searching through Tree 2006 – print it and re-type it into 2010!
In closing – I wish someone would go through and clean up at least 1/3 of the info – take out all the duplications. There have been an awful lot of them that have 30 and 40 identical entries.

December 4, 2009 at 7:52 pm
Ida

I like it!!!

December 4, 2009 at 9:49 pm
Pat Secord

Much better. Thank you!

December 5, 2009 at 4:59 am
Michel Bryson

I clicked on the Preview link, and it’s been ‘loading’ for about five minutes. I’ve got Windows 7, IE 8 – will this new Preview work on my computer?

I’ve had problems with the Ancestry Toolbar not working, and cannot preview or edit anything in MyCanvas. That’s why I ask about this Preview. I’ve only had this computer for a week and already there are things I can’t do and have to use my old computer. . .

December 5, 2009 at 7:18 am
Andy Hatchett

Michael Re:#10

I know at one time Ancestry and IE * didn’t play nice together and Ancestry was recommending using FireFox. I’m uncertain if that ever got fully resolved and that may still be the case.

You might try FF and see if there is a difference. I know when I switched to FF it solved some problems and seemed to run faster as well.

December 5, 2009 at 9:43 am
cnholmes

I will be very happy when I can merge people in the online tree. The ambigious way in which hints are presented gives rise to much duplication of sources.
There should be a way to show that you have already used a source when it is presented again.
Although the online hints are good, they are cetainly not perfected yet. For instance, almost all references to Drouin reproductions of Quebec church records are incorrect. Is anyone human doing the selection?
I am not a fracophone but even I can tell that the year is wrong and that the name is not the same. And that is even when you are aware of dit names and the universal use of Joseph and Jean Baptiste for the first name for men and Marie for women.
I hesitate to use the hins anymore. I have about 8 trees collecting hints and I am either going to junk them or go through each of them individual by individual to clean them up. Some trees have a few hundred individuals, some over a thousand.
Perhaps it would be better if I deleted them and uploaded new ones.
I suppose that it is party my fault. I accepted the historical data more readily that was given as hints. I did not check to see if it was a duplicate of what I already had.
I have found that I should not ever accept a grouping of trees instead of seeing them individually.
Yesterday, I was looking at 9 trees given as a group. Imagine my surprise when they showed one of my ancestors dying in London, Middlesex, Connecticut, USA in 1603.
When I looked at the trees individually, there were only about 3 of the 9 that had that death location.
There is more to say but it is sufficent to say that I am very wary of using hints now.

December 5, 2009 at 10:40 am
Jade

I am sure those who can get it to load enjoy the pedigree display improvements. Thank you for not making it a Quicktime/Flashplayer widget, like whatever is on the “Family” tab page, which I can’t view at all.

But why did you hide the “list of all people” link? Now when I go to a Tree initial (or any) page I have to wait for the page to completely load to see it, hidden in the ‘search’ link.

The ‘mouseover’ does not work until the page has finished loading. Grrrr.

Please put it back so I can *quickly* go to the list.

Thank you!

December 5, 2009 at 12:26 pm
Janice Shue

Is there any way that I can get the big chart published with all of my ancestors on it?
Do I just have to get separate charts made? Also, why do some of my entries not show up on the published preview on family tree software? For instance, what I looked up on my
Grandmother did not all show up on printout.
Thanks

December 5, 2009 at 12:49 pm
Lennie

Istarted out doing fine new the name of the one of my grandfathers brothers that stayed in Sicilyand his father and mothers names. It was going great found pedgree flow chart. clicked back four generations and then things got confusing I found people with the same naes coming up with birth date that made them younger than the people they were suppose to have given birth to. One gentalman was listed dates that he only lived for 8 months but he was married! What the hell is going on can you guys a ancestry .com get in touch with me and help me

December 5, 2009 at 8:29 pm
Jo

It’s better than it was but the jury’s still out.

When I hover my curser over the name of the Spouse of the focus person, or any of the Children, a text box pops up saying “Go to profile” but when I click on the name to go to the profile, I’m taken to the list of “People in this tree” instead.

Re “Changing the navigation when you click on a name. It will now take you to the ancestor profile page instead of making that node the “focus” node.”

Personally, I think it was a mistake to change this. If you’re viewing your tree in this view, you need to be able to navigate around in that view quickly and this change slows you down. You always had the option of expanding the person’s box (or node if that’s what you’re calling it now) and then clicking on the “View profile” link to go to a person’s profile page but that’s something you do less often than navigating back & forth.

December 5, 2009 at 11:45 pm
Jim Livermore

Jo says:

“When I hover my cursor over the name of the Spouse of the focus person, or any of the Children, a text box pops up saying “Go to profile” but when I click on the name to go to the profile, I’m taken to the list of “People in this tree” instead.”

Ditto, this is a bug.

December 6, 2009 at 6:21 am
Janice Reed

Earilier this week you could go from the profile to either a list of all tree members or those with hints. What happened to this function?

December 6, 2009 at 8:44 am
Johnston

I am looking for Henry Mc Garry on the web site but I keep getting a lot of names like Garry and Grey I went through the whole lists but could not find what I was looking and I know this information to be true

December 6, 2009 at 9:25 am
Andy Hatchett

Re; # 19

Using Old Search advanced with just the names Henry and McGarry marked as exact give a bunch of them- the first 50 are:

Preview
Home in 1930: Independence, Madison, Idaho
Age: 72
Estimated birth year: abt 1858
Birthplace: Canada
Relation to Head of House: Head
Spouse’s name: Isabel
Household Members:
Name Age
Henry McGarry 72
Isabel McGarry 67

View
Original
Record
Take a look at the picture to see even more.

Spouse: Isabel

Birth: abt 1867 – Pennsylvania
Residence: 1870 – Canaan, Wayne, Pennsylvania

Name: Henry Mc Garey
Spouse: Agness
Birth: May 1844 – New York
Birth: Pennsylvania
More: See all information…

Name: Henry Mc Garry
Birth: Nov 1869 – Canada Eng
Arrival: 1879
Residence: 1900 – St Paul Ward 8, Ramsey, Minnesota
Residence: St. Paul City, Ramsey, Minnesota

Name: Henry Mc Garry
Birth: Oct 1869 – Ireland
Arrival: 1886
Residence: 1900 – Manhattan, New York, New York
Residence: New York City, New York, New York

Name: Henry Mc Garry
Spouse: Magaret
Birth: Aug 1873 – Pennsylvania
Birth: Ireland
More: See all information…

Name: Henry Mc Garry
Birth: Oct 1894 – New Hampshire
Residence: 1900 – Manhattan, New York, New York
Residence: New York City, New York, New York

Name: Henry Mc Garry
Birth: Apr 1900 – Illinois
Residence: 1900 – Chicago Ward 19, Cook, Illinois
Residence: Chicago City, Cook, Illinois

Spouse: Lizzie
Birth: Oct 1839 – Ireland
Birth: Canada-Eng
More: See all information…

Spouse: Isabell
Birth: Oct 1857 – Canada (Eng.)
Birth: Utah
More: See all information…

Spouse: Mary
Birth: Jul 1868 – New York
Birth: New York
More: See all information…

Birth: Dec 1869 – Pennsylvania
Residence: 1900 – Greenfield, Lackawanna, Pennsylvania
Residence: Greenfield Township, Lackawanna, Pennsylvania

Spouse: Wendle
Birth: Mar 1873 – Scotland
Birth: Sweden
More: See all information…

Birth: Jun 1883 – Ireland

Residence: 1900 – Philadelphia Ward 34, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Residence: Philadelphia City, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Name: Henry McGarvy
Spouse: Mary A
Birth: May 1845 – Pennsylvania
Birth: Pennsylvania
More: See all information…

Match quality: 3 out of 5 1920 United States Federal Census
Name: Henry J McGarry
Spouse: Elizabeth R
Birth: abt 1868 – Pennsylvania
Residence: 1920 – Philadelphia Ward 24, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

December 6, 2009 at 10:12 am
Andy Hatchett

cnholmes Re:# 12

Merging people is a function of a genealogical software program.

Member Trees is *not* a genealogical software program; it is a mere display application and as such will never be developed to the point it can compete with Ancestry’s real genealogical program-Family Tree Maker.

The “Hints” are just that- hints. Each should be examined closely to see if it pertains to a person who actually belongs in your tree.

You should *never* copy info from one online tree to another; as you have found, it leads to nothing but duplicates, confusion, and chaos.

Researching your family tree isn’t about finding names on other family trees – it is about finding documentary evidence for facts and events concerning people you place in your family tree and then placing that information (including the source of that information) properly to the appropriate person.

Everyone should be extremely wary of using hints- and should never accept them en mass.

December 6, 2009 at 10:39 am
Donna

When making a comparison to your tree from a hint, your person (shown on the right side) disappears as soon as you scroll down. When will this “bug” be worked out?

Also, yes, you really need to examine each individual tree to determine the most accurate info, rather than take a compilation.

December 6, 2009 at 10:41 am
Denise Jackson

On the “MEMBER CONNECT” tab under “Suggested Connections” it sure would be nice to have an option to select all or have a check mark box so you can select the members to connect with. clicking on every one and waiting for each one to roll over sure does take a long time when you have a couple 100 people with the same research. Love Ancestry and thank you so much for all you do to help us connect and share.

December 6, 2009 at 12:01 pm
Leah

I simply wanted to look at the site to see what it was about, and now I’m receiving e-mails that entice me to support your organization, I have enough trouble supporting mine. There is no unsubscribe option that I have been able to locate and I’m not available to contact your 800# when you are available nor do I have the diesire to spend my time that way.

December 6, 2009 at 3:46 pm
Andy Hatchett

Denise Re: # 23

Considering the great many trees that are pure junkology, would you really want to mark all of them without checking out the trees those connections have first?? !

I always check out the actual trees before marking any connections.

December 7, 2009 at 1:12 am
Jim Livermore

Andy says:

“I do wish we could see a “tree overview” of the trees of the suggested connections. It would make it easier to see at least which ones had any sources on them.”

Once again, ditto. Didn’t we have this previously?

December 7, 2009 at 8:47 am
Kenny Freestone

MaryLou (#3)–We do not produce CDs of the family trees submitted to Ancestry.com.

Michel (#10)–the preview works in Windows 7 with IE 8. Perhaps our tech support team can help. 1 800 ANCESTRY.

cnholmes (#12)–thanks for the feedback on hints–I agree this is an important issue.

Jo & Jim (# 16 and 17)–we’ll look into this bug. thanks.

Janice (#18)–In the top right section of the page (next to the “Home Person” link) you’ll find a box saying “find a person in this tree”. When you put your mouse in that box the box expands to show the link to all the people in your tree.

Denise (#23)–Great suggestion–thank you.

Leah (#24)–Sorry to hear you’re not happy with the emails. At the bottom of the email you’ll find a link to change your email preferences.

Andy & Jim (# 25 & 26)–I’d love to hear more of your thoughts on the “tree overview” idea. I’m not sure I fully understand what you envision.

December 7, 2009 at 10:19 am
Andy Hatchett

Kenny Re: #27

Since we can’t add attachments to the blog I’ll work up some screen shots tonight and attach them to a message on the Member Trees Message Board. Subject will be “Kenny- More on Tree Overviews”.

It should be posted by 7AM tomorrow (Utah time).

December 7, 2009 at 3:56 pm
Sherry Todd

Still trying to get a handle on all the changes. I have lost some info because of something I did not do. Not sure what it was. Will be nice when I learn all the new things that are avilabele.

December 7, 2009 at 4:34 pm
Jim Spencer

Family Tree Maker 2010 crashes when I try to put in the parents of an individual. Also, when I try to compact the FTM file it start to analyse records and goes on and on and on and on. The last time I compacted, at one point it showed 855,456,796 of 421,193. I need help. Who can I email with screen shots of whats going on and/or get to the bottom of this? I’m looking forward to you comments.

December 7, 2009 at 5:12 pm
Kenny Freestone

Jim (#30)–You can email the screen shots to me and I’ll send them along to our FTM team. (Kfreestone at ancestry.com)

December 7, 2009 at 5:16 pm
Annette

I downloaded the update and now when I go into Publish and pick a collection Kinship report it scans my program then it crashes. Everytime.

December 7, 2009 at 6:43 pm
Llis

I’m really frustrated as there is one member who has a great number of my ancestors in common. That would be fine except she has about 10 trees with all of the same people. So, whenever I get hints about others trees or “people who are looking for the same person” all of her trees come up and though I ignore them every time, they keep on coming back.
Any suggestions?

December 8, 2009 at 2:07 am
Charles Willford

This update only works with online trees??????

FTM 2010 doesn’t have this feature, correct?

Chuck

December 8, 2009 at 11:38 am
Sue Myers

Would like to have the old Ahnfuntal (or however you spell it) back for anybody you connect with, not just what you yourself have done.

December 8, 2009 at 1:45 pm
Tony Cousins

What is going on???

Seeing as there is no telephone support at the moment and no where to get help I need to VENT.

I pay for and have complete access to all Ancestry yet tonight I’m blocked from certain areas and databases.

I suspect that there are a great many people who are also having problems – AND NO ONE TO HELP.

TonyC

December 8, 2009 at 6:34 pm
Andy Hatchett

Tony Re: # 36

Which areas and databsaes are you having trouble with?

December 8, 2009 at 7:47 pm
Michelle

I like the new tree but now the hints aren’t loading properly. The little wheel just spins and spins. If you go to the profile of an individual, the little icon just keeps spinning and no hints are made available.

December 8, 2009 at 8:53 pm
Tony Cousins

Hi Andy
We couldn’t get to the UK BMDs last night, which stalled our research in that area, but it seems OK this morning. At least there are no padlock icons against the databases.

TonyC

December 9, 2009 at 8:18 am
dklart

It’s pretty, the pretty colors are so pretty. It’s great that programmer time is being spent tweeking a function that basically worked just fine to begin with.

Now, can you get actual problems with existing tree function fixed?

The merge function for records between trees hasn’t been working for better than a month.

It’s frustrating to read on the blog and message board posts that programmmers entertain all these “improvements”, instead of fixing existing function problems.

I want the merge function fixed, the disappearing and floating box in the merge staged fixed. Please give an update about when these problems will be fixed.

December 9, 2009 at 9:40 am
Theresa M Hodge

On some of the site the pictures are really small and the census is small as well to read..I would like to see kinship along each line starting with the person you click on.I also think that people who contribute to this Ancestory sshould be cut a break on the price if people are coming on here and taking information and not posting trees or willing to give any if no information at all that is not right.There have been a few people on here I have contacted and they either never contact back or they have not put anything on here yet and have been on here for along time. To ME that is not right.Theresa KY

December 9, 2009 at 5:37 pm
Andy Hatchett

Theresa Re: #41

Just why should anyone be given a price break because they choose to contribute a family tree or whatever?

Considering all the junk contained in the trees, I feel it should be the exact opposite – offer everything as presently except for the ability to add family trees. That option should cost an additional fee-say $100 per year. It would certainly decease the amount of junkology being added to the Ancestry site!

This should also apply to the Rootsweb WorldConnect.

December 9, 2009 at 5:47 pm
ksims37

# 40 ditto please fix

Merge function between my tree and another person’s is showing me my own information. For instance, if I have the children listed and they don’t, I’m seeing the children and being asked to merge them. I hope It’s not loading my children onto their tree…

The “save this record to another tree” is not working, does not display or move the information from the “from” tree. Instead it display the bare bones information in the “to” tree. For a few days it was at least making a “member connection” so I could move the information that way, but now it is not even making the member connection between my trees.

I also agree that member connect should let me say accept or ignore to each suggested tree before refreshing.

And yes, the member connect is putting up some really strange suggestions lately, hard to understand the logic.

I should be commenting here on the new view, but you don’t give us a “problems” blog, and e-mail generates only form letter replies and not fixes.

December 9, 2009 at 11:37 pm
Tony Cousins

Andy #42

You go Andy, but only $100, you are too kind :)

TonyC

December 10, 2009 at 9:19 am
Andy Hatchett

Tony Re: # 44

I try to be kind… on occasion ;)

December 10, 2009 at 1:43 pm
Gay

I find new version almost unuseable and very slow. Liked the 2006 versionfor it simplicity. Maybe if the 2010 version came with directions but it did not.
I seem to be using ancestry.com and hand coping it over. Would love it if online trees let you print working reports.

December 13, 2009 at 9:34 am
Laura Slavin

I am wondering where the list names on the family tree now is. I found the list helpful.

December 13, 2009 at 9:52 pm
Mary Pat

I purchased ancestry 2009 and hated it and had to reinstall my old software. I now have a new laptop and find the old software is no longer compatible. After reading user comments I think it prudent to wait until and later version comes out and continue with my desktop and old version which is sad.

December 15, 2009 at 5:31 am
Jade

I can’t view the new display at all in Firefox.

December 15, 2009 at 12:56 pm
Kenny Freestone

Laura (#47) – the list of names is in the top right section of the page (next to the “Home Person” link). There you’ll find a box saying “find a person in this tree”. When you put your mouse in that box the box expands to show the link to all the people in your tree.

Mary (#48) – It sounds like you might be talking about our desktop software Family Tree Maker. Family Tree Maker software is a separate product from our online Ancestry Member Trees tool. While Family Tree Maker must be purchased, all members of Ancestry.com can freely use Ancestry Member Trees.

Jade (#49) – We are investigating a fix for the New Tree Viewer for Firefox version 3.0. If that is the version you are using you could try the latest version of Firefox (3.5), which by all reports is working very well.

December 15, 2009 at 2:08 pm
Jade

Kenny,

Thanks for your #50. I am running Firefox 2-point-something. It is also not viewable using IE6. I don’t use the pedigree view much anyway.

IE7 and later are such memory hogs, can’t run on my desktop.

December 15, 2009 at 3:00 pm
Billie Ranson

The “Save Person to Another Tree” option no longer works. I don’t care about saving from member trees but want to be able to move a person’s data from one of my own trees to another.

December 15, 2009 at 3:10 pm
David Wendell

On your page titled “Oregon Death Index” it says “More information, including copies of original certificates, may be obtained by contacting the Oregon Health Department, Center for Health Statistics, 800 NE Oregon Street, Portland, Oregon, 97232; (503) 731-4027.

Visit them on the Web at http://arcweb.sos.state.or.us/vital.html.”

This is incorrect. That website is of the Oregon State Archives, not the Oregon Health Department.

December 17, 2009 at 1:53 pm