Posted by on November 9, 2009 in Family Trees

Please be aware that the Ancestry.com Family Tree Service will undergo scheduled maintenance on Tuesday, 10 November 2009, from 1:00 AM to 2:00 AM Mountain Standard Time.

This tree service downtime will affect Ancestry Member Trees, OneWorldTree, some portions of My Canvas, the sections of the Home Page that are related to Member Trees, and the sections of MyFamily.com 2.0 that are related to Member Trees. Other than that, all other areas of the site will remain functional.

For the vast majority of our members living outside Mountain Daylight Time, 1:00 – 2:00 AM MDT is the same as…

Coordinated Universal Time: 07:00 – 08:00 AM
In London: 8:00 – 9:00 AM
In Melbourne: 5:00 – 6:00 PM
In San Francisco: midnight – 1:00 AM
In New York: 3:00 – 4:00 AM
In Moscow: 11:00 AM – 12:00 PM
In Rome: 9:00 – 10:00 AM
In Tokyo: 4:00 – 5:00 PM

Terry Freeman

How do I cancel my trial through ancestry.com? I don’t have the money for the yearly subscribtion.

November 9, 2009 at 5:56 pm
beth gray

The scheduled maintenance was supposed to end after an hour. 30 minutes later, family trees are still inaccessible! Why are these things always done during the wee hours? There is no one to get through to about this.

November 10, 2009 at 3:31 am
ShariPDX

The wee hours are the only quiet time around here that I can work on my trees and you shut down so often then. Wazzup?

November 10, 2009 at 3:58 am
Andy Hatchett

They are done in the wee hours to aviod taking the system down during hours when more people are using it.

I always allow at least twice as long as they say it will take.

November 10, 2009 at 3:58 am
beth gray

It is now 2:00 a.m. local. My trees have been unavailable for 2 hours. That is one additional hour more than the scheduled maintenance was supposed to last.

November 10, 2009 at 3:59 am
Anne Lindquist

It is 10:28 in England. The maintenance was scheduled to finish at 09:00. How much longer will it be?

November 10, 2009 at 4:29 am
Rina

It’s 10.30 am here in the U.K. and it’s still down.

November 10, 2009 at 4:30 am
Nick King

Any idea when this website will be back up again?

Also, how many scheduled downtimes do you need??? It seems to be on a weekly basis???

November 10, 2009 at 4:48 am
John Stocking

Now 11.00 a.m in UK. Still can’t look at my tree? However I do know that things can take longer than anticipated and unexpected problems can occur, so am not too concerned. We retired people can always do something else for an hour or so…I will now go back to my model ship!!
regards
John

November 10, 2009 at 5:06 am
beth gray

It is now 3:00 a.m. and my trees are still inaccessbile. The Ancestry.com front page has an error message at the bottom left “Error on page”.

Like reply 3, I work in the wee hours. I do it because the site is too slow at other times.

The down times do seem too frequent. I would mind less if I noticed improvement afterward. Searching has become slower due to “site improvements”. It was a lot faster and better before the constant tinkering.

November 10, 2009 at 5:07 am
Jim Bartling

Why don’t you provide compensation to your customers when the services we are paying for are not available?

November 10, 2009 at 5:13 am
beth gray

Compensation? Dream on. Somewhere in the terms and conditions of site use is a disclaimer about that very thing. They do not compensate their members for lost research time when service is not available.

November 10, 2009 at 5:17 am
Jim Bartling

Thanks for letting us know about the small print.

November 10, 2009 at 5:36 am
vickie pein

It’s going on 6 a.m. here in Missouri and I still can’t look at my tree. Very frustrating.

November 10, 2009 at 5:46 am
Rina

Okay, I went away and did something else for an hour or so. It’s now 11.51 a.m. in the U.K. and still no access.

November 10, 2009 at 5:52 am
Ann

They said the site would be down
5-6pm Melbourne time….it is now 11.05 pm. This is an absolute disgrace!
This is not cheap, we should get a refund!!!!

November 10, 2009 at 6:08 am
Ann

They said the site would be down
5-6pm Melbourne time….it is now 11.05 pm. This is an absolute disgrace!
This is not cheap, we should get a refund!!!!
No, I have not said this before.

November 10, 2009 at 6:09 am
roannacann

7:09 EST and we’re still down.

November 10, 2009 at 6:10 am
Ann

Attempt at Censorship!

November 10, 2009 at 6:11 am
Ruth

This is ridiculous. Like another poster, I always give twice as much time for maintainance as a website projects. I have just renewed my membership and in return I am able to accomplish nothing. Great. Thanks.

November 10, 2009 at 6:22 am
George Baumann

Already at 9:00 A.M. local German time my work was interrupted. Now it is 13:30 (1 P.M.) and I am still not able to access my family tree on the Internet!!
That adds up to 5 hours of interruption and not the 1 hour you announced.
George Baumann

November 10, 2009 at 6:24 am
hawkeye1939

It would be rather considerate of Ancestry.com to provide some updated information on this outage, as it has gone well beyond what it was supposed to have taken.

November 10, 2009 at 6:26 am
Jan Worthen

It is now 7:30am Eastern time for me..ALL my trees and media photos have disappeared. A lot of work! I am really having a panic attack!

November 10, 2009 at 6:34 am
merilee hoisington

Ok, this is getting old! It is not 3 and 1/2 hours since the scheduled maintainence was supposed to be done and I still can’t get on. It is in the wee hours there in the USA but for me it has been down most of the day since I am in Beijing, China. This is not fun not to be able to work on my genealogy when I have time.

November 10, 2009 at 6:36 am
Jon

Well, after 7:30 Eastern US (GMT -5) and no tree. Updates from Ancestry would be great here. I work in the web service industry, and you don’t have to go into the nasty details, but something like, updates didn’t work, we’re rolling them back and things will be back by noon. No data loss. Thanks for being patient.

November 10, 2009 at 6:38 am
Rina

Obviously the latest “tweak” is taking much longer than anticipated. But,by now, someone from ancestry should have had the courtesy to post an update on this blog. Otherwise, what is it here for.
Wakey wakey Kenny – we’re all up. Where are you?

November 10, 2009 at 6:42 am
hilary wood

12.46 gmt. long hour ! explanation would be polite. we pay to use this.

November 10, 2009 at 6:48 am
beth gray

Thanks Rina for making me laugh after almost 5 frustrating hours.
Personally, I think the blog space is just there for people to vent, don’t expect a personal response from whoever with whatever job title. I doubt that there is anyone at the switch in Ancestry’s offices at the moment. That’s why they should do these things when live people are there to monitor the process!

November 10, 2009 at 6:52 am
John H

Amen to all the comments that precede this one about not explaining the extended delay. The fact that Kenny did not even post this until yesterday (when from another blog topic it was clear that this was planned already last week is another indication the tech staff is not thinking about keeping the customers well informed. Also, they left unanswered many queries in another blog started last week where many technical complaints have been posted. Planning new enhancements (which is more fun to do) but not maintaing what you have already developed or taking time to communicate with your customers (which to use old retail guidance — is the reason you can exist) is not the way to go ro stay in business.
Hopefully they have not gone home for the night, thinking their upgrade is not working and not checking it out sufficiently.

November 10, 2009 at 6:55 am
Jim

7 am in Louisiana, 4 hours after scheduled completion.

I think its gone being ‘polite’

November 10, 2009 at 6:56 am
John H

PS — They pay so much attention that they have NOT even noticed after a week that they have not reset the clock on this computer — since the time stamps on their blogs (which are always in local time for them — Mountain Time) have not been reser from Daylight to Standard time — even thought the clocks changed at 2am on 1Nov.
Lack of attention to detail by programmers it NOT a good attribute to have.

November 10, 2009 at 6:59 am
JEAN

ITS 13:10 HERE IN THE UK

THE TREES ARE STILL DOWN!

November 10, 2009 at 7:11 am
Terri

The downtime was scheduled in NY from 3-4 am yet it is now 8:15 am and the site is still down. Aggravating to say the least!

November 10, 2009 at 7:16 am
sedonagirl67

When do you expect the trees to be available again? Obviously, something more is going on than routine maintenance since the last official posting said it would be unavailable for an hour or two starting around 1am. Its now 6:15am Mountain time and its still down. An estimate would be helpful.

November 10, 2009 at 7:18 am
Charlotte

An update on how long this will take would be nice. It’s 7:23 AM CST and been unavailable for 3 and 1/2 hours for me.

November 10, 2009 at 7:23 am
Dave

It is 8:25 AM EST and I’m having trouble accessing this site including My Trees. Apparently there is some kind of problem. When can I expect this site to be up and running again??

November 10, 2009 at 7:28 am
Dave

It is 8:30 AM EST and I’m having trouble accessing this site including My Trees. Apparently there is some kind of problem. When can I expect this site to be up and running again??

November 10, 2009 at 7:29 am
Jessie

its well past 1am and i still cant do any work?????????? 8:35am to be exact so when ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

November 10, 2009 at 7:37 am
andrew cairns

1:30 pm gmt,my trees are still inaccessable

November 10, 2009 at 7:37 am
William Cole

8:37 and still no tree up

November 10, 2009 at 7:38 am
Raymond

13:35 GMT and still no tree … no sign of reason or apology. Not good service. Pull your socks up, Ancestry!

November 10, 2009 at 7:38 am
Andy Seabolt

Please have someone update the blog to let us know what’s going on!

November 10, 2009 at 7:40 am
CA

Kenny has a newsfeed that you can subcribe to be informed about Scheduled Family Tree Maintenance….

Past Scheduled Family Tree Maintenance Posts

Scheduled Family Tree Maintenance (10 November 2009, 1-2 AM MST)
Scheduled Family Tree Maintenance (13 October, 2009 from 11:00 – 11:30 PM MDT)
Scheduled Family Tree Maintenance (18 June 2009, 1-2 AM MDT)
Scheduled Family Tree Maintenance (12 May 2009, 1-3 AM MDT)
Planned Maintenance For Family Trees Service Tonight (March 31, 2009)
Trees Service will be down tonight (December 8, 2008)

November 10, 2009 at 7:47 am
Rina

Access has just been restored in the U.K.

November 10, 2009 at 8:00 am
roger

Just a small point, but Coordinated Universal Time is the same as GMT (Greenwich Mean Time). This means that your announcement is wrong for London, it should have been the same as Coordinated Universal Time.

November 10, 2009 at 9:20 am
Andy Hatchett

I find the performance of Ancestry during the last two scheduled maintenance outages to be completely unacceptable in all respects.

Now that they are a publicly traded company perhaps it is time to stop mucking about with the underlings and start contacting the top level – with copies to the appropriate News Organizations.

Perhaps that will help, it certainly can’t hurt anything at this point!

November 10, 2009 at 12:02 pm
Jim Livermore

Andy,

“Has anyone got a list of addresses for the members of their new Board of DIrectors?”

Did you check your prospectus? You did receive a copy, yes?

November 10, 2009 at 2:30 pm
Mary Beth Marchant

I think contacting their new board or directors is a good idea. Maybe they would not like bad publicity. Maybe Ancestry would make more of an effort to check for errors before rolling them out and be more responsive to us, the subscribers. One can hope anyway.

November 10, 2009 at 2:34 pm
Tony Cousins

As of now their stock is trading around $13.50 – what did they open at, anyone remember?

TonyC

November 10, 2009 at 2:46 pm
Andy Hatchett

IPO was priced at 13.50- opened at 16.10 I think.

November 10, 2009 at 3:00 pm
Andy Hatchett

Jim Re:#47

Yes- but I’ll be darned if I can lay my hands on it right now.

Probably somewhere under all this genealogy stuff!

*grin*

November 10, 2009 at 3:02 pm
Tony Cousins

Andy #51 – you must be using the ‘New Search’ ;)

TonyC

November 10, 2009 at 3:34 pm
Rina

Still no apology or explanation then?

Whatever they’re spending on updating & maintenance should be diverted to customer service training.

November 10, 2009 at 4:21 pm
Andy Hatchett

Tony Re:#52

Nope- If I was doing that I’d have more addresses than I’d know what o do with!

;)

November 10, 2009 at 5:28 pm
mariannehunder

I need help with my family genoelogy.

November 10, 2009 at 9:19 pm
Mary Beth Marchant

To #55-Marianne Hunder-place your messages about help with family genealogy on message boards for the surname family or families you are researching. Or place your message on http://boards.ancestry.com/topics.ancestry/mb.ashx.

If you are just wanting help to start researching, many people are willing to help. Placing your message on the Ancestry blog will probably not get an answer.

November 11, 2009 at 9:48 am
Sandi

My family trees are gone! What did you do with them!!!!!!!!

November 11, 2009 at 4:09 pm
Paul

Why can’t guest view photos? All they get is a RED X.

Thanks

Paul

November 11, 2009 at 10:26 pm
April

I have noticed pictures too having just a red x after you click on them to look at. I also can not print any documents. Very frustrated right now.

November 14, 2009 at 9:20 am
Bruce Homen

People all it sounds like is a BIG bunch of CRY BABYS, you know when the up date will be going on so just GET SOME SLEEP AND STOP CRYING BOOHOO

November 14, 2009 at 5:11 pm
John Verkley

Dear Reader.
I am using 2010. Works fine.
What bugs me is that there is no indication on the screen to indicate that a comment pertaining to that person can be found on the “person” tab.

John.

November 15, 2009 at 8:50 am
JEAN

bruce

if you are happy with search the way it is all you need do is to leave a constructive message to that fact, rather than resorting to childish attacks on those of us who are simply pointing out our own feelings on the fact that ancestry have not given a reason for the extended time the site was down. we also have the right to point out faults that we find. if our comments bother you so much then feel free to stop reading them they are after all not personal messages for you but for the powers that be at ancestry to see.

November 15, 2009 at 2:25 pm
JEAN

sorry i did not mean to say search i meant the reacent maintenance issues

November 15, 2009 at 2:29 pm
Ged

What the hell is Mountain Standard time..????.(pick a mountain, any mountain)
Ancestry.com is an international forum and Ancestry would be advised to add Greenwich mean time when indicating schedules for maintenance etc. Not all members live in said mountain area wherever that is???

November 15, 2009 at 11:21 pm
Andy Hatchett

Ged Re:#64

You might find this helpful

Military & Civilian Time Designations

From A – Z

There are 25 integer World Time Zones from -12 through 0 (GMT) to +12. Each one is 15° of Longitude as measured East and West from the Prime Meridian of the World at Greenwich, England. Some countries have adopted non-standard time zones, usually 30 minutes offset which have a * designation.

Each Time Zone is measured relative to Greenwich, England. There are both civilian designations which are typically three letter abbreviations (e.g. EST) for most time zones. In addition there are military designations. These use each letter of the alphabet (except ‘J’) and are known by their phonetic equivalent. E.G. Greenwich Mean Time (civilian) or Z = Zulu (military and aviation).

* For complete details of Daylight saving (Summer) Time see here

X-ray
NT: Nome.

Time Zones Time = GMT-12

Y

Yankee
IDLW: International Date Line West

Of course, reading the original post in its entirety would have been helpful too.

November 16, 2009 at 1:03 am
Mary Beth Marchant

See the Web operations blog of today. Member trees are off line again. This happened a couple of weeks ago too. Not a good sign for Ancestry.com in my opinion

November 17, 2009 at 12:23 pm
Andy Hatchett

Actually, to some of us,member trees going offline is a *good* thing – it means the junkology contained therein can’t be copied!

November 17, 2009 at 4:10 pm
Phillip Crow

#67 Andy. Good point. It amazes me that Ancestry.com can make recommendations (green leaves) to their online tree builder for parents that died long before their children were born in another State! Some kind of immaculate conception/deception! Then this type of “junkolgy” is copied and recopied by others into their trees when the member trees are back online. When I contacted Ancestry.com about the mess they were making, I just got the “oh well” non-sense answer.

November 18, 2009 at 9:15 am
Walter Ray

Suddenly when I get a hint to family powered ancestry files, I can no longer view parents, children, etc, and check to attach them to my file. Just a box says 10 trees available to view. Then I have to note each difference to my tree, then manually insert each child, or parent into my tree, which makes it very discouraging to keep updating my files. Liked the old way best.

November 20, 2009 at 2:18 pm
Donna Robertson

When will this be fixed. I still can’t change trees.
It’s now Nov. 20th and I still can’t get to my trees.

November 20, 2009 at 6:00 pm
Whitney

Dear friend it is almost two months now since i order a pregnancy spell cast on me by Dr ZOGO from this email zogospellcasters@gmail.com and which i started seeing changes on my body since the first week of last month and it two months and i am carrying my own baby in my womb i am so happy that i finally get pregnant after all i been through. All thanks be to Dr Zogo

September 11, 2013 at 1:00 pm