Posted by on October 22, 2009 in Family Tree Maker

With the release of Microsoft Windows 7 this week, many have been asking about the compatibility and testing of Family Tree Maker 2010 related to this new operating system.

The short answer is yes, Family Tree Maker 2010 is fully compatible with Windows 7.

The Family Tree Maker team has been working with Windows 7 for several months—even prior to the release of Family Tree Maker 2010.  Since the “Release to Manufacture” (RTM) version of Windows 7 was released last August, we have done additional testing in our labs as well as with alpha and beta customers with no indication of incompatibility.  Family Tree Maker 2008 and 2009 are also compatible with Windows 7.

As a point of interest, it may be helpful for people to know that we continually test Family Tree Maker with 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7.

If you find a problem while running Family Tree Maker on your operating system, the best course of action is to contact customer support which can usually help you identify and solve the problem.

Patrick

Great Duff! Now how about that Mac OS X Version that so many of us desperately want? Are those plans still in the works?

October 22, 2009 at 3:58 pm
Bill Synwoldt

Yes, I agree with Patrick. What, honestly, are the actual plans, if any for a Mac OS X version?

October 23, 2009 at 7:04 am
Andy Hatchett

From what I can gather there are no definite plans either way at this point in time.

They haven’t decided to offer an OS X version but then they haven’t decided *not* to offer one either.

October 23, 2009 at 7:43 am
Chris

If it’s anything like the problem that both 2009 and 2010 gave me with 64 bit Vista, then 64 bit 7 will also send you to the registry where normal people should not need to go!

October 23, 2009 at 7:55 am
john cook

wonderful until i messed it up

October 23, 2009 at 9:55 am
Ila Lavont

Why does Family Tree not respond so often? And it boots up very slowly. Thanks for any help you can offer.

October 23, 2009 at 10:02 am
Linda Caldwell

I bought a new windows 7 computer yesterday. Haven’t added family tree. Downloaded the new recommended tool bar. My internet would not work. Deleted the new tool bar, and every thing is back to normal.
I also have a run time error in Family Tree 10. It shows us when I’m on the interent looking a pictures from other site. The error is between every picture looked at.

October 23, 2009 at 10:26 am
Eric Roberts

I have been trying to get it installed on Win 7 64 bit with no success. I went through all the steps tech support gaver me and I was unsuccessful. It seems to install ok, but when I go to run it, it tells me that a config file is corrupt and that I may need to compact it. I click ok, the initialization window comes up quickly followed by an error message saying that the program stopped working and it needs to be closed. There is an article that describes what to do that didn’t help. Even did a clean boot install. No joy :-( It runs fine on the 32 bit. I really liked the features and want to put it on my new system, so if anyone has any suggestions on how to get it running I would greatly appreciative.

October 23, 2009 at 11:53 am
Tom Lewis

I now have 2010 on my computer,how do I get the 2007 info to switch over without having to re enter it?

October 23, 2009 at 2:17 pm
Duff Wilson

#6 Ila,

There are a number of variables that can affect performance such as the power and memory capacity of your computer and the size of your tree. For help on your specific case, contact customer support.

October 23, 2009 at 4:11 pm
Duff Wilson

#1 Patrick & #2 Bill,

October 23, 2009 at 4:18 pm
Duff Wilson

#8 Eric,

We’ll contact you directly to see if we can help.

October 23, 2009 at 4:19 pm
Duff Wilson

#9 Tom,

You can simply open your old file with Family Tree Maker 2010.
If it is an older file (v16 & older), Family Tree Maker 2010 will import it into a new file. Your old file will be left unchanged.
For versions 2008 and 2009, Family Tree Maker 2010 will convert your file to the new format. Before doing so, it will give you the option to save a backup copy first.

October 23, 2009 at 4:24 pm
Brian W

Also purchased a new 64-bit machine Thursday with Windows 7…. loaded FTM 2010 and get FTM.exe – Fatal error. CLR error: 80004005 The program will now terminate. uggh… Thoughts?

October 23, 2009 at 8:09 pm
Jim

Can’t get Ancestry tree to import into FTM 2010, in Windows 7. The darned thing hangs on “unzipping” … for as long as I’ll let it. I waited 12 hours once. NADA.

Windows 7? Or?

I must say I’m really disappointed with the Technical Support hours. How many people (percentage) work on their Genealogy stuff during 8-5 wekeday Banking hours?

It’s Friday night – now I have to wait until … Tuesday??? I was excited about this.

October 23, 2009 at 9:01 pm
Kathy

Until a program is available for MAC users, what would you recommend for someone just getting started in this exciting journey? Thanks for your comments.

October 23, 2009 at 9:28 pm
helen perdue

i cant aqfford to buy another program.,i have tree maker & GENSMARTS

October 23, 2009 at 11:22 pm

# 16 Kathy

Kathy if you ar a Mac user Reunion is the program of choice

If you want to use FTM on your Mac, you have to install Parallels then Windows then FTM

John D

October 24, 2009 at 1:08 am
Tony Knight

I have been running FTM2009 (and since September FTM2010) on Windows 7 64bit in all its manifestations from Beta onwards. I have an i7 quad processor, 9GB of memory and a database around 75000. Apart from a slight glitch on installation of FTM2010 which didn’t repeat itself on my second machine, I have had no problems that could be attributed to Windows 7. Based on the memory usage reported by Task Manager, I would say that the minimum memory required for a larger database is 2GB and preferably more.
If you have had problems under Vista of crashes when attaching references, resolving addresses or for no apparent reason at all it just stops working, you will probably find this is no better/no worse under Windows 7

October 24, 2009 at 1:19 am
Walter Egenmaier

FTM needs to have Saturday hours for help.
I work M-F and only have time in the evenings and weekends. I have had 2 free trials and run into problems and the knowledge base is inadequate. Would be great to have live help for short time on Saturdays. Thanks. Love the program.

October 24, 2009 at 7:22 am
Walter Egenmaier

I have a family member who has “old DOS” .doc files on floppies which were copied onto flash drive and sent via email to me. I tried using Win XP Microsoft Office 2007 to open and read them and get some intelligent info with several pages of zeros and funny characters. Is there a program that will let me read, print, and save these docs into a more current format so I can add the data to my 2010 FTM?

October 24, 2009 at 7:59 am
James

FTM 2010 seems to be working well with Windows 7 on my machine. Performed an “upgrade” install to simplify reinstalling programs, user files, etc.

REgards,

October 24, 2009 at 12:29 pm
James

#21 Walter:

Do you know what program created the files? This behavior is seen when the program used to open the files is not the proper one.

Regards,

October 24, 2009 at 12:32 pm
Marsha Gunderson

I am running Family Tree Maker 16 because I prefer it to the newer versions. I’m operating on Windows XP. Is FTM16 compatible with Windows 7?

October 24, 2009 at 1:36 pm
Norman Morse

Delighted to know I can upgrade to 7 without problems from FTM. However, your continued fairly to address the Mac issue has me updating everything to switch to Reunion. Sad. Poor management in FTM.

October 24, 2009 at 1:46 pm
Carolyn Tomlin

I can not get Family Tree Maker 2010 to work. Is this product not compatible with Windows Vistas? I have a new 64 bit computer. I am very dissatisfied with this product. The on-line support center only provides answers that I have already seen on the site. I have had this product for one month. I have tried the so called “solutions” over and over. I am sick of trying to get it to work.

October 24, 2009 at 1:55 pm
Kathy

#18 John — thanks for your recommendation… I think I’m going to try Reunion. Thank you :)

October 24, 2009 at 2:21 pm

# 26 Carolyn

Check that you have a copy of WSE 3.0 on your computer.

If you don’t have it you can download it for free from Microsoft.

The file is required to run FTM in a 64 bit Windows computer

October 24, 2009 at 8:12 pm
Cynic Al

This is just a CLAIM from the product manager, for a product that does not even work on Vista…

October 25, 2009 at 3:23 am
Chris

Kathy #27

You could also try Macx Family Tree as well as Reunion 9 as both are aesthetically different in their approach to presenting a tree and you may prefer one over the other.

October 25, 2009 at 4:52 am
Carolyn Tomlin

#28 John Donaldson

Thank you for your suggestion. I do have WSE 3.0 on my computer. I cannot transfer my family tree file from Ancestry.com. I have used “download from Ancestry.com” option. The file processed into GEDCOM and then I downloaded to FTM. When I try to open the file, it says it is already open but it’s not. I am overlooking something but can’t figure out what.

October 25, 2009 at 2:44 pm

# 31 Carolyn

Rename your downloaded file (don’t forget the .GED extension), then from Plan load it as a new file.

What heppens?

John D

October 25, 2009 at 3:06 pm
Carolyn Tomlin

#32 John Donaldson

It worked! Thanks for the info.

October 25, 2009 at 4:36 pm
Jeff Ford

#11 Duff,

>We are looking into the possibility of a Macintosh version of Family Tree Maker.

If it is as good as your support for the Mac OS and especially Safari, NO THANKS!

Just make Ancestry both platform and browser agnostic and most Mac users will be much happier with you.

October 25, 2009 at 7:37 pm
Eric Roberts

I still haven’t heard back from you guys. I evben talked to tech supt on the phone several times and all of the suggestions failed :-( BTW…I do have to say I really like what you guys have done with the site. I haven’t been on it in a few years and it is greatly improved. I even found a bunch of info on a branch of my family tree I had little hope of getting info on. Now if we can just get FTM to work…I would be in business ;-0

October 25, 2009 at 9:06 pm
Cathy

Is FTM 2009 compatible with Windows 7? Can I transfer my tree and photos to my home computer with FTM 09? My old computer crashed and I got a recovery disc with my old FTM 2006, but have no idea how to put this into my new tree. When I look at the disc info, it seems like only the programing/working parts w/o info files!? Any ideas or help appreciated.

October 25, 2009 at 9:42 pm

# 36 Cathy

Yes FTM 2009 will run in W 7

Your FTM 2006 file will have the extension .FTW, .FBK or .FBC

FTM 2009 can read .FTW files

Have you got any .FTW files on your recovery disc?

John D

October 26, 2009 at 1:38 am
Marion Whitney Martin

I just bought a new computer with Windows 7. I installed Brother’s Keeper with no problems following the instructions to go to properties:compatibility:and check on administrator. Since I am a long time user of Ancestry, I do use Family Tree Maker significantly, currently using FTM 16 on my Vista machine. Is it possible to use that with Windows 7?

October 26, 2009 at 8:02 am
Duff Wilson

35 Eric,

I sent you an email message on Friday afternoon. If you didn’t receive it, you may need to check your spam folder. We’ll try again.

October 26, 2009 at 8:27 am
Matt

Duff:

I am sorry if I missed it here, but it is not clear to me from this posting and the comments if FTM 2010 will install and operation on WIN7, 64 bit. I am trying to buy a new machine and have verified that all my other software operates under 64 bit Win 7. I would like to confirm (or deny) the same for FTM 2010. Some comments seem to say no while others seem to have installed successfully.

If the answer is no, have you tested FTM with the WIN XP compatibility mode under Windows 7?

Thanks for any input.

October 26, 2009 at 12:01 pm
Duff Wilson

40 Matt,

Yes, Family Tree Maker 2010 is compatible with 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7.

A relatively small number of people have reported problems which indicates an issue with their specific installation and not a general problem with Windows 7 compatibility. The best course in such cases is to contact customer support where they can usually help you identify and solve the problem.

October 26, 2009 at 12:21 pm
James

#38 Marion:

I’m using version 16 on my Win7 machine, 64-bit without apparent problems.

Regards,

October 26, 2009 at 4:07 pm
Karen M.

Well now you have me scared to tery it on my 64 bit. I just bought a new computer that came with a free upgrade to Windows 7. So far I have been afraid to install it as so many said they are having trouble with FTM 2010, and I don’t have a clue what I should be doing to make sure it will work. I am currently on Vista, and it works.

October 27, 2009 at 4:03 pm
Tamara Miller

I had no issues loading FTM 2010 back onto my computer after clearing the harddrive and then installed Windows 7 64 bit on my desktop.

There are several comments about when will a Mac version of FTM be out for Apple computers. I am wanting to by a Mac Book Pro laptop to use on the road but really do not want to drop FTM and switch to Reunion.
I hope you hear that there is great interest for this software for Mac and that it is compatible with the Windows version. Thank you

October 27, 2009 at 6:20 pm
John S Henry

My version of Family Tree Maker is 2005 as advertised by the BBC for its “Who do you think you are” programme. If I upgrade to the 2010 version will I be able to transfer all my current info to the 2010 version? I am running Windows XP home.

October 28, 2009 at 3:42 am
Duff Wilson

#45 John,

Yes. Family Tree Maker 2010 will import Family Tree Maker files back to version 5 (which came out in 1998).

October 28, 2009 at 12:42 pm
john cook

i cant seem to find no family tree and i am very curios of one family starting with marry greenleaves. she is linked with missing indian bloodf i am trying to find ,can you help me

October 28, 2009 at 12:55 pm
Ronald Stock

I am running Family Tree Maker 16. I’m operating on Windows XP. Is FTM16 compatible with Windows 7?

October 28, 2009 at 1:16 pm

# 48 Ronald

Why don’t you download the Windows 7 adviser and check aout all your programes running in XP to see if they will run in W 7

or google windows 7 adviser

I suspect that FTM 16 will be Ok in W7 except the PDF may not work

There is a patch for Vista in FTM 16 which puts in a new PDF generator.

My guess is that it would be OK but you would need to check

John D

October 29, 2009 at 1:36 am
Scott McWilliams

I just installed FTM without any problem under 64-bit i7 chip Windows 7. After installing and before starting, I placed my data files in the Documents area. All perfect…had to re-register the software and open the file but that was without any problem. The only rub was that when I checked to see if an update were available, I had to stop and restart FTM running as Administrator to get the rights for FTM to do the update check. I couldn’t check for an update with FTM running as regular.

October 29, 2009 at 8:45 am
Rita Menges

Microsofts Update Adviser for Windows 7 tells me that FTM 2009 will have to be uninstalled. It states: “This program must be uninstalled before upgrading to Windows 7. You will not be able to reinstall it after upgrading to Windows 7.” The PC is an Acer Aspire desk top that is probably about 5 years old.

October 29, 2009 at 7:55 pm
Wilma Thedford

I just got a new 64 bit PC with Vista and I had to oder the new 2010 FTM and I hate both Vista and the New 2010 FTM. I had my files backed up on external hard drive. I would rather go back to WindowsXP and an older version of FTM. I am too old for change, I guess. I have W-7 on the way and if it is no better than Vista . I give up after 35 years of FTM.

October 29, 2009 at 8:49 pm
Nell Bee

I need to know how to deleate or correct a mistake in my family tree thanks

October 30, 2009 at 4:37 pm
Eileen Darrah

My computer was sent out for repair, and now I think my Family Tree Maker is more messed up than before. I hadn’t had it very long. Now I have at least 3 Bevan trees, 1 Higgins, and NO Harkins. PLEASE HELP ME! I had been using ancestry.com. I am new to all this, but getting very frustrated. I really need to get rid of the extra trees. Thank you!

October 30, 2009 at 4:42 pm

# 52 Wilma

FTM 16 will run under Win 7

John D

October 30, 2009 at 5:38 pm

# 54 Eileen

Having your computer repaired will do nothing to your FTM trees.

What I suggest you do is in Windows Explorer look at your trees to see whaich one is the largest or youngest

Make that your main tree

Then one by one carefully merge with the next youngest tree etc until you have captured your data

Then delete or store to a CD the earlier versions in case you ever have to refer to them

This may take you some time and taking careful note of the index, number of people in your file but perfetctly straightforward in FTM

You unfortunately don’t advise which version of FTM you are using, but there are articles in the various FTM knowledge bases, depending on version, on merging. I suggest you read them

John D

October 30, 2009 at 5:45 pm

# 53 Nell

You are another poster who somehow imagines we know what version of FTM you are using.

Please advise the version as this affects the reply.

Also could you please be a little more specific about mistakes?

What type of mistakes?

Have you linked the wrong children to the wrong parents or what?

In general, depending on version, the corrections are done by the attach and detatch menu on the Person menu when you are in the people workspace of FTM 2008 and above

In FTM 16 and below it is on the People>Fix Relationships menu

In both versions it is well covered in the respective programs helps, and again well covered in the respective knowledge bases.

Maybe if you could provide some detail a better anser can be provided.

John D

October 30, 2009 at 5:54 pm
Kathleen Ryan

Let me add my voice to those wanting a FTM compatible with Mac OSX systems. I will probably stop subscribing to Ancestry.com if more extensive Mac compatiblility is not forthcoming soon, since it’s obvious that Mac users are simply not getting the value for what they paid for compared to what Windows users are getting.

It is also frustrating that technical questions cannot be addressed more immediately; and when answers do come, they usually fail to respond to the most important part of the initial question.

November 1, 2009 at 3:58 am
Alan Meyer

I am running Family Tree Maker 2010 and Windows 7 on both 32 bit and 64 bit machines and I am happy to say I am not seeing any problems

November 1, 2009 at 7:27 am
Chas Mott

With windows 7 32 bit, if I enter info in the notes box when merging, and then remove it by using the cut option before its merged (as in wrong entry ooops) the program crashes. anyone else replicate this error?
Chas

November 1, 2009 at 3:12 pm
Chas Mott

Sorry, just to add that it is with ftm 2010

November 1, 2009 at 3:13 pm
April Cunningham

We need a version for Mac. It isn’t right to charge the same price for Ancestry.Com and then only get half the product.

November 2, 2009 at 1:02 am
Mike Steinmetz

I, like Eric Roberts in his earlier comments, have been trying to get FTM 2010 installed on Win 7 64 bit with no success. I first attempted installation on same system but 32 bit Vista but had no success in that effort. Spent nearly a full day, much of that time spent with your technical personnel, trying to get that configuration to work. I even sent the last technician I worked with a copy of the Vista error report, and Ancestry was supposed to call me back with a solution. That was two weeks ago, and I’ve not heard back yet. I thought I would ensure my success by upgrading to 64 bit Windows 7 with a Clean Install. That installation did essentially the same thing that occurred with 32 bit Vista. It seems to install ok, allowed me to import my FTM web tree from your site, but when I go to run it, it tells me that a config file is corrupt and that I may need to compact it. I click ok, the initialization window comes up quickly followed by an error message saying that the program stopped working and it needs to be closed. Even did a clean boot install. No joy here either. Please HELP! Thanks.

November 2, 2009 at 5:51 pm
Pat Phillips

One problem that I’ve been having with FTM2010 is that if I have my Outlook Express open when booting up FTM2010, it disconnects me from the internet and then shuts itself down before completing its openning. At other times, I get a warning window stating that the program didn’t shut down properly when last used, and will shut down again. In both cases, I have to reload the program.
I’m using a pentium4 with 756MB of DDR memory with WindowsXP.
Pat

November 3, 2009 at 12:37 pm

# 64 Pat

756 MB of RAM is very low!!

I suggest that you have at least 1 GB preferably 2 GB of RAM

I am not seeing this problem with Outlook (not Outlook Express)

I would be increasing your RAM

FTM (and everything else) will work better too :-)

John D

November 3, 2009 at 5:36 pm
Moi

Will FTM 2006 work with Windows 7?

November 3, 2009 at 9:50 pm
WILLBENOW

I have window 7 and when I save a census I can see where I saved and named it, but when I try to find it under documents on my new computer it is not anywhere on my computer.

PLEASE HELP ME. I HAVE NEVER OVER A NINE YEAR PERIOD HAD THIS PROBLEM.

November 4, 2009 at 8:41 am
Kenny Johnson

I’m running FTM 2010 on Windows 7 64-bit and it won’t let me check for updates unless I run FTM as administrator — even though my user account has admin rights.

November 4, 2009 at 10:06 am
Kenny Johnson

WILLBENOW

It should be in your FTM media folder, which is a subfolder of whereever you’re FTM database is.

eg. If your FTM database is named Myfamily in your Documents folder, then all of your media (census, etc) are saved in a subfolder of Documents called Myfamily Media.

November 4, 2009 at 10:09 am
ernest e davis

had windows 2000xp bought new comp. with vista had ver. 9 ftw 4years work over 4000 names, pictures can not down load to new computer. tried everthing. bought ftw 10 still nothing paid a1 certified tech. to no avail. HELP!

November 4, 2009 at 5:17 pm
Dawn

I bought a new laptop windows 7 and downloaded MFT 2010 and now I get a message whenever I use it saying
“authentication with the server failed” Do you know how I can fix this?

November 5, 2009 at 5:17 am
Tina B

I have just signed up and I am having problems. Is there a way you can find people on here? Thank you.

November 5, 2009 at 7:25 am

# 71 Dawn

Authentication

Go the the FTM 2010 knowledge base http://ftm.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/ftm.cfg/php/enduser/std_alp.php?p_sid=-qpTdfKi

and in the keyword search search for 3734

Hint: Bookmark this link it has priceless information and is constantly being updated :-)

John D

November 5, 2009 at 3:09 pm

# 72 Tina B

Try these links

FTM-Tech

(where most of the high end users and beta testers hang out. Been around since 1995 the oldest and the )

Another FTM help list but not as good as FTM-Tech

The FTM Knowledge base- priceless and being constantly updated

Good links to the Tutorials and webinars as well as general help and enhancements

John D