Family Tree Maker: Webinars and NGS

Posted by Michelle Pfister on May 11, 2009 in Family Tree Maker

We all have slightly different learning styles. Some of us learn best with books. Others like to learn by doing. And still others like to be shown or learn best from hearing instruction.

With Family Tree Maker, we try to provide a variety of methods to help you learn how to successfully do your family history. One of those methods is our webinars. The live webinars are normally attended by thousands of people, and the webinar recordings are viewed thousands of times afterwards.

Preparing a webinar takes a great deal of effort. Duff Wilson, our normal presenter, spends many hours over the span of several weeks preparing the presentation, and a team of people work behind the scenes to support him and answer questions. We believe this effort is worth it because of the very positive feedback we get from people who have attended. Our goal is to help you succeed.

If you haven’t had a chance to view our recorded webinars on Family Tree Maker, you can see them here.

Also, if you’d like to see a live presentation, you can attend Duff’s presentation on Family Tree Maker at NGS in Raleigh, North Carolina this week. The NGS conference runs from May 13-16th. If you’re in the area, stop by the Ancestry.com booth and say hello to him.

Comments
1 Trish LewisMay 12, 2009 at 11:37 am

Two things I want a lot here at Ancestry.com – ability to add a non-spouse life partner to my record so I can acknowledge their place in my life! AND be able to upload EXISTING audio and video to family tree – right now you can only add NEW audio via phone or computer. What about those of us with tons of existing media?!

2 Mary Beth MarchantMay 13, 2009 at 7:35 am

I would like to know why in the world I cannot create the kind of book I can with my FTM 2006 program. This 2008/2009 program is a joke. Also, when I did import my old book to FTM 2009 there were said to be 76 pages but the only one I can find is the front page. Until y’all can come up with something useable I will continue to keep FTM 2006 and/or replace it with another companies genealogy program.

3 LennyMay 14, 2009 at 3:53 pm

I am frustrated by the fact that FTM 2006 creates by default really compact descendant charts while FTM 2009 creates these same charts with one or two individuals per page!

It is incredulous to think that this is the default setting. But I cannot get a more compact chart by tweaking the settings.

How can I send an attachment to show the comparison between the two pdf charts?

Is it possible to export FTM 2009 with media to a format that FTM 2006 can read?

4 Ray ManuelMay 14, 2009 at 6:23 pm

I had my lap top cleaned and lost all prigrams including Ancestry.com. Ancestry.com was down loaded. I do not have a C D to reload it. How do I proced?

5 Jack D. WhiteMay 14, 2009 at 11:03 pm

I have a 12 x 12 scrapbook, brown lether, and it speaks about Marcella
by K. could I get information on her in helping me on my Historical scrap book

6 LynnMay 20, 2009 at 7:57 pm

Michelle,

Can you share when the next patch and/or when FTM 2010 will be released.

7 David WilsonMay 21, 2009 at 10:46 pm

I just finished looking through all the 970+ comments from the March webinar. One thing that stood out to me was that some comments got responses while many others were left unattended and Unanswered.I would like to know what it takes to get a response around here.Do I need to wave flags or shot of rockets to draw someones attention?? But joking aside, I have put in the same question several times now, dating back to before you took over. This questions is pertaining to the NGS Quarterly (Descendant Order) Genealogy Report. This report was in FTM 2005 but not 2008 or 2009.

I have been loyal to FTM since FTM2005 1st came out and it was their reports that attracted me to it. – + – + – Here is your waving flag and your shooting rocket NOW can you please do something about this report!

Respectfully
David Wilson

8 Robert KleinMay 23, 2009 at 5:37 pm

In reference to #7. I too would also like to see the same reports that were in FTM 2006 and ver 16. Under FTM 2009 I cn import my books from Ver 16 but because the NGS reports are not valid in 2009 the books are worthless. Give us an answer either way, yes or no will the same reports be put back in FTM 2010. We at least deserve the courteous of an answer.

Comment on this articleCommenting is open until Monday, 25 May 2009

Looking for help with a specific problem? Try contacting Customer Service.

Discuss more Ancestry.com topics in the Message Boards.