Planned Maintenance For Family Trees Service Tonight

Posted by Kenny Freestone on March 31, 2009 in Family Trees

We plan to upgrade our trees service tonight, adding some fancy new hardware and software.  We expect that the service will be unavailable for about 2 hours starting around 1:00 AM mountain time.

This tree service downtime will affect Member Trees, OneWorldTree, some portions of My Canvas, the sections of the Home Page that are related to Member Trees, and the sections of MyFamily.com 2.0 that are related to Member Trees.  Other than that, other areas of the site will remain functional.

Have you ever wondered who keeps the service running for you?  Here’s a list of the key players tonight and their roles:

- Pause agents (Steve B. will have these paused by 1am)
- Turn off replication (Kelland)
- Take Tree Service offline (Greg)
- Switch database to read-only (Kelland)
- Backup/Restore all transaction logs (Kelland)
- Take all Tree Service web servers out of the vip except one (Becca)
- Change Web.Config settings — including TreeDB1 (Greg & Becca)
- Bring TreeDB1 online (Kelland)
- Test (Chuck)
- Service Broker check / CLR Stored Proc
- Bring Tree Service online (Greg)
- Start agents (Steve B.)
- SQL Jobs (Kelland & Greg)
- Setup Replication (Kelland)

While these folks don’t expect any special thanks for keeping our wonderful trees system running, I am personally glad that they do it. Thanks, Team.

Comments
1 Cathy TaylorMarch 31, 2009 at 4:32 pm

Thanks to all involved for such a wonderful website!! I am constantly finding new information and am absolutely amazed by it! Thanks again to your whole team!

2 Darlene WhiteMarch 31, 2009 at 5:48 pm

Two Tetlock families have been trying to confirm our Canadian and English conenction. I had my Dad’s DNA tested with you. I have a garden cap never washed owned by the last English Tetlock gentleman, now deceased. Is it possible for you to test this cap’s inner sweatband for DNA? If you don’t do thaqt, can you recommend a lab who wlil do it? Thanx! Darlene White

3 Jean VanasekMarch 31, 2009 at 8:05 pm

Thanks to all of you for your hard work. I have been a member for only a short time and am amazed with all the information I find. I have spent hours reading everything I come across and surprised at how fast the time goes by.
Thank you for all that you do.

4 Mary Beth MarchantMarch 31, 2009 at 9:04 pm

Thanks so much for the update and thanks also to Jay Fichialos for posting that on the message boards as well. Y’all done good!!!

5 terri l mcmurphyApril 1, 2009 at 12:22 am

thank you for all the hard work fixing and fussing to add to and upgrade. if i’d read the notices right there in plain sight my night-owl feathers (::) wouldn’t be ruffled.you keep up the amazing work and i’ll unruffle and keep working on whatever i can.bet i’ve got time for a nap! thanks again

6 rogerApril 1, 2009 at 12:24 am

What time in GMT is 1am mountain time?

It is 08:20 BST (07:20 GMT) in the UK and the service is still down!

Is this another case of we take the service down in the middle of the night in the US but don’t care about the rest of the world?

7 bromaelorApril 1, 2009 at 1:57 am

Yes Roger! For those outside the USA who have no idea what “Mountain Standard Time” is, could Ancestry also give times in GMT or CET in future???

8 RP McMurphyApril 1, 2009 at 2:45 am

Thank you for the “heads up.” Communication is the key to keeping the customer satisfied.

9 Steven A MyersApril 1, 2009 at 9:00 am

I don’t see anywhere else to whom I should direct my issue. I use the “hint” page frequently. Within the past week or so, after I’ve viewed the individual’s page, accepted or ignored the “hints”, and I return to the “hint” page, the individual’s name is still there, indicating further “hints” are available, when in fact, they aren’t. This makes my searches less efficient and more time consuming, as I have to decide which individual really has “hints” available, and which don’t. You should add a scroll bar to this box, as well.

10 John HirschmannApril 1, 2009 at 2:13 pm

Clarify you headlines

It says “Planned Maintenance…Tonight”

I am seeing this on April 1 and it is only after reading it and other comments did I determine it occurred during the night of March 31/April 1 — not planned for the night of April 1/2 You could only figure that out from the time stamps on some of the messages indicating service was out as to which night it was happening.

Also, have you posted anywhere what the upgrades are from the users perspective — that in all candor would be more interesting than knowing who did what to allow this to happen.

11 AnnApril 1, 2009 at 4:59 pm

I would like to Get the weekly and monthly news but I cannot get them on an AOL address. Therefore I would like to change MY Account email address, but the MY ACCOUNT button does not work.

Is this because of the upgrade?

12 Gloria TaylorApril 1, 2009 at 8:44 pm

I have been a member since 1998 and have found the site most helpful. Even as the years have gone by and improvements and additions made I have been very satisfied. But this change you are making is a regression from your usual profession site. I can no longer recommend your site to friends or strangers unless something really changes for the better and I don’t
see that coming.

13 TeriApril 2, 2009 at 6:42 am

I have been a fan of this site for many many years. Ancestry has grown so much over the years. Thank you all for your hard work and dedication.

14 Bob TiptonApril 2, 2009 at 11:46 am

For the last two days, I have been unable to look at User-Submitted Trees in OneWorldTree. When I click on the link for the User-submitted trees, I get a message indicating that “open failed for pid.db”. Is this a side effect of the changes made the night of the 31st, or is something else going on? I hope this is not a new “feature” :-)

15 Kenny FreestoneApril 2, 2009 at 3:26 pm

Hi Bob,

This was unrelated. The OWT system had a drive failure–it is back up now.

Thanks,

Kenny

16 A nne GiruckyApril 3, 2009 at 5:14 am

Hi Guys, I just to say THANK YOU!! for all the hard work you put in to keep this web site updated.

17 Tony CousinsApril 3, 2009 at 7:25 am

Kenny

What kind of rinky-dink system are you running these databases on?

We are only a small company but when we have a drive failure we simply do a hot swap on the failed drive and the system rebuilds the RAID – result no down time.

So maybe Ancestry has not invested in hot swappable RAID drives or there was something else that failed.

Which one is it?

TonyC

18 Constance PeckApril 3, 2009 at 9:24 am

I do want to say it so nice to have ancestry working like it is suppose to. I appreciate it.

19 jan ohanlonApril 3, 2009 at 3:21 pm

I enjoy ancestry but I have not been able to use the search historical records for three days. What’s up?

20 Joey Thomas JrApril 3, 2009 at 7:55 pm

I have had Ancestry.com for over 10 years now. I originally had the pay by month world service and this past year I subscribed for the one year plan with the world service.
I am terminating my subscription to Ancestry as of the end of this April.
Ancestry is an easy site to operate even with all the ups and downs. I had a great run with Ancestry ( But ) Lately its seems all the new records that are put up are for Canada and the French in Canada. (By Lately I mean for about 4 months.) For two years I have been filling out requests in which you asked what records would you like seen on Ancestry. To no avail you have never answered my requests. I have asked for more records for NY, NJ, PA, and the New England States. I looked forward to all your records that you put up every Sunday night but have been disapointed for a long time now.
I see now that you are answering some questions that are put to you.
I know that I am not the only person that feels this way about your site records.
I will return some day in the future!! Maybe you post this???

21 Kampanye Damai Pemilu Indonesia 2009April 4, 2009 at 4:43 am

Thanks for sharing your thought. Wish you good luck for your future endeavors.

22 William AllenApril 4, 2009 at 7:11 am

Question about DNA groups. I am able and have joined several DNA groups for my Haplo and surname. I noticed on my wifes profile, this “group” option does not exsist. Do we have groups for MTDNA or is it to vauge?

23 Sandy WaltonApril 5, 2009 at 6:55 pm

What has happened to your site. The searches I put in are not correct even if I search for a specific county and state the search engine is giving me every county except the one I request. I have tried only the FIRST name and come up with nothing. This is not even possible because I find other people with the same name as my request when I search the county.
All this has changed this week. Is this due to your changes on the 1st?

24 Barbara TrautmanApril 5, 2009 at 8:00 pm

Clap! Clap! kudos to those of you who toil so tirelessly for a dismal public whom you cannot even see. All smart remarks aside, Ancestry has more smart resources than the rest of the ones I have tried. I have great appreciation for your successes and all the failures which we will never see or know about. Keep up the good work.

25 Cameron SmithApril 7, 2009 at 12:50 pm

This is confusing having a maintenance warning stay on my Ancestry home page for weeks. I suggest:

1) Add dates to the “blog” entries so I can see that the entry is weeks old. Or better yet…

2) Treat maintenance warnings differently and remove them once the maintenance event has past.

Thanks and I do enjoy the site!

26 Bill Dickens (england. uk)April 7, 2009 at 4:53 pm

I recently made a personal list of around thirty Quick Links on the Ancestry Home Page, i’ve noticed my list has now been removed. I’m not very happy about this because I found the links list really useful in finding my way round the website, I just can’t understand the logic of setting a useful tool up like that and then 5 minutes later taking it down. Let’s hope they are reinstalled during this planned maintenance shutdown

27 Mike LukerApril 8, 2009 at 4:47 pm

I just wish Ancestry.com would be more Mac friendly! Resource Essentials, Family Tree software, useless.