Posted by on March 25, 2009 in Family Tree Maker

As you probably know by now, the 2009 Software Update includes a new chart: the Extended Family. This tree displays every individual in your file or just the ancestors and descendants of a specific individual. Each generation appears on its own horizontal row: grandparents, parents, children, grandchildren, and so forth.

Here’s a thumbnail image of an Extended Family chart that includes three generations of ancestors and one generation of descendants.

Extended Family Chart
To access the Extended Family Chart, go to the Collection tab in the Publish workspace. Then in Publication Types, click Charts. At the bottom of the window you’ll see the Extended Family Chart icon. Double-click the icon or select the icon and click the Detail tab.

Because the Extended Family chart generally contains a large number of people, it can be difficult to locate specific individuals on the tree. Luckily, the 2009 Sofware Update contains a new option that can help. It’s called the Person Locator. When you’re viewing a chart, the option appears at the bottom of the chart editing panel (on the right side of your window). Every individual included in the chart will be listed in the Person Locator drop-down list. Choose an individual from the drop-down list, and the chart will immediately recenter and the specific individual will be highlighted on the chart.

And, if an individual appears more than once in your chart (for example in families where cousins marry), you can view each occurrence using the Instances drop-down list.

Note: The Person Locator option is available for all charts in Family Tree Maker.

Ronald Chambers

Is this a supposed replacement for the All-In-One chart in FTM16? Because of the nature of my research, the All-In-One is the only printed output that gives comprehensive information to the viewer. I use GedHTree to have full tree on Internet and CD.

RON C

March 25, 2009 at 11:22 am
Tana L. Pedersen

Ronald, this chart is not a replacement for the All-in-One tree, simply another option. The All-in-One tree will be added in a future release.

March 25, 2009 at 12:42 pm
William C. Braxton

Tana – I have the Family Tree Maker, VERSION 11 downloaded into my computer. I have made very few entries into this Tree Maker. Is this Tree still valid and if so: Have there been any updates ?

March 26, 2009 at 4:21 am
Terry Van Zuidam

How do I obtain the 2009 Software Update?

March 26, 2009 at 9:50 am
John Donaldson

#4 Terry

Help>Check for updates

Your version 2009 with the SP1 patch (Help>About) should show version 18.00.305

John D

March 26, 2009 at 1:56 pm
John Donaldson

# 3 William

Version 11 was a good version but things have moved on

Since then there has been version 2005, version 2006, version 16 (a subset of version 2006), then the completely rewritten program FTM 2008 followed by FTM 2009

If yoo want to learn about FTM 2009 have a look at the links on this site

John D

March 26, 2009 at 2:02 pm
gerri kohn

I have the 2009 version of Family Tree. However most of my information is on Ancestry.com. Is there a way for me to download the ancetry tree into my Family Tree software? Or do I have to manualy enter the information a record at time?
Gerri

March 27, 2009 at 11:32 am
Nicky Young

When are we who purchased FTM 2008 getting the update promised for 2009?
Can someone please send me an email
Thanks

March 28, 2009 at 3:31 am
Herb Carter

I really like the new 2009 format but still struggling a bit figuring it out. I used to be able to have the Descendant Chart commercially printed on one big poster. But seems like I can only get the chart exported in a .pdf file now? The same chart is now saying “not enough memory” on an even larger computer?
Any hints or suggestions who I should ask?
thanks
Herb
Thaks

March 28, 2009 at 9:06 am
Sonia Judith Cervetti Guigou

Amadeo Guigou Malan, born in Praly (Torino) on 18 nov. l871. I should like to know more about him. Was he really born there? When did he Left Praly and how did he come to Uruguay; He was my grandfather. He was dead here in Uruguay on may 1951. Thenk you very much. Please, tray to find something for me and my children. I am 68 years old and I am a little bad health. Thanks. S.C. de García. Uruguay

March 28, 2009 at 1:23 pm
Don

Is there any way to include a photo for each person in the chart? Previous versions of FTM provided that capability for most charts and having photos really helped catch people’s interest, which made them more willing to provide info. I don’t see photos included on the Items to Include list for any charts now.

March 30, 2009 at 10:13 am
Don

I forgot to mention that I’m referring to FTM 2009.

March 30, 2009 at 10:14 am
Richard

Don #11.
All ten of the “charts” allow for the inclusion of a photo of the person.

To appear, the photo must first be linked as the person’s “portrait”. How to do this is explained in the topic “To add a portrait …” in Family Tree Maker Help for FTM-2009.

1. In the People Workspace, either from the Family or Person tab, click on the silhouette in the Information Pane at the right and choose “Link to existing picture …” (assuming that the picture has already been added to FTM-2009).

2. The “Find Media” dialog window will open. I recommend changing the “View media by” field from All Media to Person. The index will immediately jump to the person being edited, making it easy to select a picture to use as the person’s “portrait”. (This assumes that the picture in FTM-2009 has previously been linked to the person.) This is the image which can appear in various charts and reports.

Then when creating a chart, in the Report Detail Information Pane at the right, from the “Pictures:” field select either Photo or Thumbnail (the default is “None”). The photo will appear to the left of the text data. Alignment options (Center or Top) locate the picture either at the center of the text data or aligned with the top line of the text data. The Relationship Chart is a bit different in that it has a checkbox for “Show thumbnail” instead of the “Pictures:” field.

The “Thumbnail” choice uses a lower resolution version of the portrait photo. To see the difference, increase the report preview to 300% or 500% and switch back and forth between Thumbnail and Photo. If the chart contains a large number of persons with portraits, the use of thumbnails will most likely lower the amount of computer memory required while working with the chart. Stay with thumbnails if the result looks adequate for your purposes

March 30, 2009 at 11:50 am
Richard

Don #11. P.S. Photos are not part of the “Items to include” list in FTM-2009. Instead they are included as explained in the previous post.

March 30, 2009 at 11:57 am
Mindy Thompson

If this is not the correct place to ask this, please advise.
I use FTM2008 and wondered if there is a way to view a list of all my people who are buried in same place. Am I making sense? I want to be able to view a list of all people that are buried in a certain cemetery. Is this possible ?
Thanks
Mindy

April 3, 2009 at 12:49 pm
Randy Majors

I would really like to see these features incorporated into ancestry.com’s online family trees.

April 6, 2009 at 5:15 pm
Tana L. Pedersen

#7
Gerri, you can download an Ancestry tree (if you’re the owner) and upload it into Family Tree Maker. The only catch is that you can only download a GEDCOM of your tree which means that images and records you’ve attached to your Ancestry tree won’t be included.

To download a GEDCOM of your tree, make sure you’re logged into Ancestry.com and then access your tree. Click the Overview tab. In the Tools box (on the right-side of the window) click the “Manage my tree” link. Click the “Export tree” link; and then click OK to start the download. Then right-click the “Download in GEDCOM file format” link and choose “Save Target As.” In the “Save in” field, choose the location where the GEDCOM will be saved and click Save. Then, to import the tree into Family Tree Maker, open the software and import the file on the Plan workspace.

#9

Herb, I’m sorry to hear you haven’t had luck exporting your descendant tree. I suggest compacting your file to optimize your file’s performance (Tools>Compact File). You can also export your chart as an image. To do so, click on the Share button below the main toolbar and choose “Export to Image.” I hope one of these options works for you.

#15
Mindy, depending on how you’ve recorded the cemetery facts, you may be able to create a custom report that shows this information. I’ll walk you through the basic steps and hopefully you can adapt them.

First, open a custom report (under Person Reports on the Publish workspace). I’ll assume that you’ve entered this information in the Burial fact. In the editing toolbar, click the Items to Include button. Click the (+) button to add the Burial fact to the report. (Don’t forget to delete other facts you don’t want to include.) In this same window, click the Burial Options button and make sure all the fields are included.

Now you’ll need to filter the report to show individuals buried in a specific location. Back at the report, click the Individuals to Include button. Now click Filter In. Click All facts. In the “Search where” field, choose “Burial” (or whatever field you’re using. Below that choose “Place” from the drop-down list (assuming you’ve recorded the cemetery name in the Place field). Then in the Value field, enter the name of the cemetery exactly as it is recorded in your fact. (If you haven’t been consistent with how you’ve entered the cemetery name, some facts may not appear in the report.) Click OK twice. The report should now open and include the individuals who are buried in a specific location.

I hope these basic instructions help you create a custom report that works for you.

April 7, 2009 at 1:24 pm