Posted by on November 4, 2008 in World Archives Project

Recently, we released the Ancestry.com World Archives Project – our new community keying tool that gives you the opportunity to help create free indexes at your leisure. We would love to hear what our members and the community thinks of the idea and of the new tool. We’re interested in feedback from people who have used the tool, as well as people who may have heard about it but haven’t had a chance to try it out yet.

If you have a few moments, we invite you to click here to take a brief survey. Your feedback will help us improve the Ancestry.com World Archives Project.

If you haven’t yet tried out the World Archives Project and are interested, click here to learn more.

Once again, thank you for being an active part of the genealogy community!

Patricia Swisher

This is in general. I have only been a member for a short time and I am not very happy with what I am experiencing. Maybe it is just me, so maybe someone can help me. I put in information (like the us 1920 cencus info) that I know is correct into the fields and only brings up certain family members and I know that the ones I put in are correct. It does not seperate by Town or Birthday. I would like some kind of guidance here.

November 4, 2008 at 1:20 pm
Pages tagged "love"

[...] bookmarks tagged love We Would Love Your Feedback on a New Tool saved by 15 others     santombi bookmarked on 11/04/08 | [...]

November 4, 2008 at 4:01 pm
Karl

I like the concept. When I tried it out a couple of months ago it was still pretty buggy, so I gave it up for a while until the kinks get worked out. The records I was using didn’t line up with the record entry line, so I wasn’t constantly having to scroll for each new record I added. But I do think you’re on the right track and appreciate the incentives you are going to offer (particularly a discount).

November 4, 2008 at 5:42 pm
Ksenia

I was adopted from Russia 16 years ago and i want to find my birth family that i believe still live there but all of the ancestry sites i have been on have not helped at all…I just wanna find them =(

November 5, 2008 at 6:43 am
Deborah Campbell

I checked to see if my system (VISTA) was able to work with the BLOG on Nov. 18, and it says that my Media Player is not capable, but when I downloaded the MP-11, it said I already had an updated version to that…what do I do to be ready for the 18th?!!! Thanks, Deb

November 5, 2008 at 5:29 pm
Lonnye

When I fill in the “Search” boxes and indicate a date, (say, 1700), I don’t want to see hits dated in the 1800′s or 1900′s. Also, if I specify a a full name beginning with M (not just initial), I don’t want to see all references containing “m.” (for married). I get discouraged when I see 5,000 hits, but the filter criteria were not considered.

November 5, 2008 at 6:07 pm
Meredith Schade

I had sent this idea as a suggestion to Ancestry a year or two ago. I am THRILLED that they’ve decided to go forth with it! Can you imagine how quickly we will get records online? How many more records we’ll be able to share with the world? It will be truly amazing to see how far this will take us in discovering and preserving our personal and communal history!

November 5, 2008 at 9:44 pm
Catherine Rehart

I am trying out the new home page organizing tool. Unfortunately, it
will not allow me to save anything
to the message board box. I have tried
four times to save items and it tells
me I have not chosen any items. I have a new iMac and the latest addition of Foxfire.

Please advise…thank you…

November 6, 2008 at 7:03 pm
Sarah

Sounds great, but this is requires a “Windows only” installation.

I’d be interested if you ever decide to make this platform independent or make a Mac version. Don’t say “No” too quickly, April 2008 reports shows Windows platform sales down 24%, Mac platform sales up 61%.

November 8, 2008 at 8:40 am
Caroline Paquinett

Can’t find proper feedback place so you are it — please forward to proper place.

1. Put feedback/suggestions button on the bar at the top. It will make it easier to contact you.

2. I want to be able to put in the name of a city or county and find information on what it was like to live there during a particular decade or 50 year spread.

For instance, on a website I just found out that public schools in SC were few because wealthy planters wanted to use illiteracy to somewhat control both whites and blacks; and that public schools were hard more or less forced on SC starting in the reconstruction era. The wealthy middle class who were illiterate made their marks but the mark was not a simple x.

November 11, 2008 at 1:27 pm
Charlotte McCauley

I really love working with ancestry.com but am having trouble. Somehow I have 3 different family trees and would like to get them into just one. My tree is Taylor/McCauley Family Tree. Can anyone help me?

November 11, 2008 at 6:30 pm
Russell

Not only are you ignoring Mac users but the millions of Linux users as well. Companies that don’t develop their applications to be cross platform now are not only wasting time but will be at a serious competitive disadvantage in the near future. Its really quite astonishing to see this as a thick desktop application anyway. Why anyone would want to create barriers to participation for a collaborative project. This functionality would be much more useful directly integrated into the ancestry.com website.

November 11, 2008 at 9:00 pm
NancyDrewFan

Who has TIME to use a new tool when you experience the following: I feel like I am living in the dinasaur age of dial up. Have you guys sold too many subscriptions that your servers are unable to handle via your leaf commercial? This last week has been ridiculous!!! PLEASE, PLEASE FIX THIS PROBLEM BEFORE ALL YOUR SUBSCRIBERS DIE WHILE THEY WAIT FOR A RECORD OR PAGE TO LOAD. It has not escaped my attention that as I use your service, each page I load comes up SLOWER and SLOWER. Are you attaching too many tracking cookies? I have tried clearing them and it doesn’t help much. I can sign off, reboot my computer, sign on again and then I am much faster at first, until the whole process repeats itself again!! It’s maddening and EXTREMELY TIME CONSUMING!!! I would have my entire family tree done right now if it were not for the SLOW SLOW SLOW page loading. I have premier ISP service and I fly everywhere but here. HELP!!! SPEED IT UP PLEASE!!!! It does not encourage me to correct bad records on census either!! Please fix the BASICS like SPEED and ACCURACY ON SEARCHES BEFORE YOU ADD NEW TOYS THAT ARE ONLY GOING TO MAKE YOUR SYSTEM SLOWER!!!!

November 12, 2008 at 9:40 am
Joanne Kingman

What browser do you recommend because Internet Explorer is clearly not working very well:

“We apologize, but we were unable to handle your request. Please try again later.”(repeatedly)

I am also getting script errors.

November 12, 2008 at 10:46 am
Terry Thompson

Hi,

I downloaded the toolbar to my Vista. I ended up with two on my manage add-ons list. I cannot delete them and my vista does not work properly now. Any solutions? Thank You.

November 13, 2008 at 8:24 pm
wenda

I would like to contribute to the Ancestry.com project, but I have a Mac, and find myself left out. Are there plans in the works for software for Macs owners to contribute?

November 15, 2008 at 12:57 pm
Shelia Huckabee

November 15, 2008 at 1:20 pm
Shelia Huckabee

I have only been a member for a short time. I enjoy looking up my Ancestry My Dad had a cousin who is a member of Ancestry fo a while and I can get some infromation from her. And I have found some of my In-Laws to on Ancestry. I have Windows Vista and it works on mind.

November 15, 2008 at 1:21 pm
Christine Montgomery

I was happy using the toolbar till it wasn’t there any longer. It copied records, etc, like it’s supposed to. Seriously, I can’t see the toolbar any longer!!! Don’t know what happened, and cannot find a link to download it again. Is it spyware? Maybe my firewall did something while I was asleep LOL! Still on trial, and not impressed. Do we have to disconnect the firewall to use this site?

November 15, 2008 at 3:26 pm
Gerald Helgeson

always learning

November 16, 2008 at 8:10 am
Mike

It’s a great way to help out and lend a hand.

November 18, 2008 at 4:42 pm
Roger Casteel

Check to see if system(Vista)is able to work with blogs, or any IM ing at all. an why my system is running slower now that I got a new tower which uses vista, WHY????

November 18, 2008 at 5:34 pm
MARY CARR

I DOWNLOADED TOOLBAR NOTHING LOOKS
DIFFERNT

November 18, 2008 at 8:12 pm
Douglas E Walker

Please tell me when `Family Tree Maker` is to release an update which includes accommodation of the Family Books facility contained in Version 16 and before?

I understand there is or a patch may soon be released. Is this correct?
Regards

Douglas E Walker

November 19, 2008 at 4:29 am
carol castanos

I think its great you have been able to upload and create so many new backgrounds, most of them are very nice but I think you have forgotten the original idea about Ancestry. I feel you have been taking another road and making to many backgrounds for hundrends of occations others than history and ancient topics You have been making a lot of contents and backgrounds for modern scrapbooking and its ok but dont forgett the original idea! I really loved it and I hope you keep on making military, life style and country backgrounds, ancient history is what we need, the ones with the old ships are fantastic, Id like more of those, we have so little.. Most of the other backgrouds are useless for me. Please dont forgett the original purpose of this site. If some one wants a picture book we can get it anywere else but I chose ancestry because it was different and special to me, you gave great importance to history and ancestry. please dont change it or forget it.

November 19, 2008 at 1:40 pm
Victoria Bergemann

When I find a family where some names are misspelled I can nor add the information with out adding a new person only to delete it later. Is there any way to resolve this? Also because I am dealing with long polish names they are often mispelled which makes it hard to add info to my family tree. Is there a easy way to do this?

November 20, 2008 at 1:44 pm
Madonna Wallace

Can’t customize the new home page, nothing works. Ancestry needs to speed up the site, there are days, it is slower than dial up, but who has dial up these days. It is agravating.
Thanks
Madonna

November 20, 2008 at 2:40 pm
Ginny

I also want to chime in as a Mac user. You’re definitely leaving out a large group of people who would like to help.

November 20, 2008 at 4:51 pm
Constance Tobin

Hi, I am having a lot of fun with My Ancestry web sight. I have some trouble with it but by my stumbling through and getting to know how it operates I am finding it easier to use. I Still need help in knowing how to separate families. I tend to get going and adding adding and not giving each family their own tree. But other than that I really think it is fantastic.

November 21, 2008 at 5:29 am
Richard Hardesty

I really don’t like the format of the new Ancestry program…guess I’ve used Version 16 for too long now. It seems like the Group Sheet is a radical departure from what I’m used to…us older folks just don’t appreciate all the changes and don’t see why is was necessary. Your comments, please…

November 21, 2008 at 4:37 pm
Rebecka Sanchez

2 things.
My parents were never married, but it forces me to say they were married can I have something that says Union Resulting in Children or something like that.
I love the new tool to be able to make books/posters and they auto fill. What I want is a poster and a time line on on person, one great big time line. Marriage, Babies, Grandbabies all of it. Thanks

November 22, 2008 at 8:05 pm
ancestry com

How do i find ancestors from sicily?

Can this website help?

November 26, 2008 at 8:58 pm
Marysue

Ancestry is TOO SLOW loading all sites and pages.
It is absolutely impossible to utilize any of your sites. When clicking to a any page, I wait and wait for some advertisement to load. I am not interested in your big fancy side type ads that you are using at the expense of my limited life time here. I am interested in
sharing my quarter century family research and filling in some unknown data.
I and others will seriously think twice on a subscription renewal!! Then see who reads your big, slow, loading ads……
I did write to Ancestry Support last week and this is their reply, which tells me nothing:
“We regret any frustration you may experience due to ads on Ancestry. Banner and other advertisements display on Ancestry because of key sponsorships with other companies. These sponsors help support the site. Since the Ancestry site is partially advertiser supported, you may not turn off the advertising that appears on pages of this site, but you may opt to be excluded from any email advertising. Please read about these options in our privacy statement, which you can access by clicking the appropriate link at the very bottom of most pages on our site.”

Before I end, I want to draw attention to a comment from:
NancyDrewFan on Poll blog page:
Posted on:
November 12, 2008 at 9:40 am

December 7, 2008 at 6:34 am
Ray

This is not really a comment, but a question. I have two siblings who after about 7 generations their descendants have intermarried(?) and the result is that these two siblings obviously have thae same parents. I can get the first sibling to join the parents, But I have a problem attaching the second sibling with the same parents. It seems that a new father and mother are created. That makes two entries for one couple? How do I attach the second sibling to the first siblings parents? I hope you understand what my problem is and can suggest a solution.

December 12, 2008 at 3:34 pm
sharon

I would like to see a tab or minizing feature so as to look at several searches instead of clicking back or looking back at the home page where I see resent searches.

December 14, 2008 at 10:34 pm
Darryl Roberson

Is there anywhere I can go on the internet to look up a family member on the Dawes Rolls? I would also like to look up tribal records for the state of Ark. Is there any place on the internet for this informarion?

December 27, 2008 at 12:21 pm
Melodia

If you think for one minute that I’m going to spend my time and energy to input records so that you can charge outrageous prices for access and poor service, you are living in more of a fantasy land than I earlier thought. Some people still believe that public records should be free and available to ALL genealogists and not just the ones that can pay for your outrageous service. You’ve bought up all the used to be free sites trying to build a monopoly…crooks!

January 7, 2009 at 6:30 pm
Brenda

When doing a family search using the tool bar you leave Ancestry.com. I would like to see this feature open in a new tab or window. The way it’s setup now makes it difacault to go back to ancestry.com.

January 26, 2009 at 11:39 am
Denise Kern

I use to like working on Ancestry.com, but since the new changes and considering how slow the program loads now. I am seriously thinking about cancelling. I am also finding that I have names being duplicating and they were only entered once. What is going on? I hope you can get the bugs worked out soon. I am changing to Vista and am concerned about this program.

January 27, 2009 at 3:44 pm
Mary

This is a question for those that are subscribed to Ancestry.com

When someone gets information about two o three small towns of family ancestors, is that person allow to publish a book and sell it?

February 1, 2009 at 6:28 am
Tina in Adelaide

At least you guys have been able to get the tool working! There is quite a few of us unable to get that far.

If Ancestry doesn’t fix this problem, which i have documentated on a different thread, and I continue to have no feedback or help from Ancestry then there’s there is nothing more I can do
Cheers

February 2, 2009 at 9:47 pm
Mary

Not only the names are duplicated, but some other names are spelled wrong. Dates are wrong too. When I compared to the original data of my ancestry, a lot of information in Ancestry.com is wrong.
The only sure thing about getting the information correct you have to ask the town you think you ancestors lived, because there in the church registry or town registry would be the correct data.

February 3, 2009 at 8:00 am
James Ivan Poore

Whom may I contact via e-mail to assisr me in attaching my Y-33 DNA to my family tree whitch is on FTM version 7 – also listing my tree with Ancestry.com – sincere, James Poore

February 4, 2009 at 5:50 pm