Ancestry.com Announces the World Archives Project

Posted by Ancestry.com on September 4, 2008 in Company News, World Archives Project

Ancestry.com today launched the World Archives Project, a global public indexing initiative designed to give individuals everywhere the opportunity to help preserve historical records. The Federation of Genealogical Societies (FGS) is the first organization to partner with Ancestry.com during this beta phase of this new venture, enlisting genealogists and family history enthusiasts to help test the software and prepare it for a more public release.

Now in public beta, the World Archives Project allows individuals to transcribe information from images of original historical records and to create indexes that will remain accessible for free on Ancestry.com and on Ancestry’s localized sites in the United Kingdom, Australia, Canada, Germany, France, Sweden, and Italy. Active contributors will soon be able to access all original images that are part of the World Archives Project. Organizations can also partner with the World Archives Project and sponsor indexing projects. Ancestry.com will donate a digital copy of the sponsored index and images back to partnering organizations.

Already, several thousand individuals have joined the World Archives Project private beta, indexing Wisconsin Mortality Schedules and Nebraska State Censuses.

For more information about the World Archives Project or to get involved, visit www.ancestry.com/worldarchivesproject.

Comments
1 ValSeptember 4, 2008 at 7:53 am

Are there any plans to expand availability of this to non-windows users?

[...] Today Ancestry.com and FGS announced the Public Beta for the World Archives Project.  This project is a community keying initiative that will allow participants to contribute to the effort of indexing genealogical and historical records.  You can read about the project on the main Ancestry.com Blog here. [...]

3 BlandonSeptember 4, 2008 at 4:24 pm

I would also encourage you to support non-Windows platforms. I realize that we don’t represent a large percentage of Ancestry’s user base, but I would expect that to change in the future.

4 Murel AlvarezSeptember 6, 2008 at 10:43 am

I’m looking 4 my daddy George W.Bennett’s family,his mom was Rosie Ethel Weaver Bennett,they was from Wren,Moulton Alabama,any,any infor. or storys I can get I would deeply appreciate it,please E-mail me at mureljean.alvarez@yahoo.com or call 205-486-2742 thank u so much.

5 TomSeptember 6, 2008 at 3:28 pm

Please e-mail me for confidential info. I purchased a year’s subscription and then I moved and have a new e-mail address. I do not now which account is primary and which is guest!!!!!
Please help me.

6 George G. MorganSeptember 7, 2008 at 1:03 pm

Macintosh users are a significant and growing constituency in the genealogy community. (Apple is now the #3 selling desktop computer manufacturer, after Dell and HP. The project must be able to include Mac users and other operating systems, and not just Windows.

Thank you!

7 Jan RyanSeptember 8, 2008 at 12:32 pm

I have been an off an on user of Ancestry .com over the years. I am also a Mac user only. In my recent return to Ancestry I found that using Firefox was very successful. Initially I used Safari but without any luck exporting my family file. When I went to Firefox the file uploaded almost instantly. So I’m sticking with that browser for Ancestry.

8 MichelleSeptember 9, 2008 at 10:39 pm

Hi,

I’d love to be involved in the project. Are there plans for entering Australian data? On the whole, we have MUCH less resources available to us and I’d love to contribute to making more available.

I was thinking about the project and was wondering, in an effort to encourage more people to participate, that perhaps, when new sets are under consideration to be added to the collection for indexing, perhaps you could conduct a “poll” to see which documents people would like to see added next. This would have the advantage of providing people with data they want and they would therefore be more likely to contribute by actively indexing.

Cheers,
Michelle

9 San Antonio AttorneySeptember 18, 2008 at 5:08 am

Ancestry.com new venture with FGS will make archives better organize and easier in public indexing. The beta phase will give individuals the chance to test accessibility and preservation of data of family history.

10 Donald DalmenySeptember 21, 2008 at 4:51 am

This is a very welcome news and a massive undertaking, I wish you every success and early completion.

Good luck…..Don Dalmeny

Still seeking any references to the surname Dalmeny.

11 BillSeptember 23, 2008 at 9:35 am

If you have a new mac, I run parallels. This enables me to still have my mac, and use Windows XP where it is needed.

It would be nice to get a mac version of this some time, but in the mean time, I can live with it with parallels.

12 DaliaSeptember 24, 2008 at 8:34 pm

The world wide project is admirable, however it would be good if you could expand to South America. I like many others would benefit from this.

13 Sally NelsonSeptember 29, 2008 at 2:45 am

When I attended the session at FGS there was information given on how someone could register as a guest and be eligible to participate in the indexing project. I do not remember everything that was mentioned. Would you please give an explanation. I would like to present this to our Society and need all the details.

Thank you.

14 kathy shawOctober 6, 2008 at 9:40 pm

i am trying to fin out about my dads side of the family, but i am need the confick war back when my dad was in it and before so i can see if there is anymore family i can find. i think it was around 1949 to 1960. not sure though. thank you, kathy shaw.

15 Diane TortorellaNovember 2, 2008 at 10:42 am

I would really love to be a part of this project, but I own a MAC and I am unable to download. Will this tool ever become Mac friendly?

16 joan moreyNovember 7, 2008 at 3:23 am

I wish to enrol on the archives project, but seem unable to register, please could you help, I get so far then can’t finish.

17 joan moreyNovember 7, 2008 at 8:33 am

I can now see that there are others who own Mac’s and can’t he;p, please arrange for us to get access, we are worth it!

18 Victoria ChristJanuary 2, 2009 at 10:54 am

I HAVE COMPLETED RESEARCHING SIX GENERATIONS ON MY MATERNAL SIDE, COMPLETE WITH PHOTOGRAPHS OF EACH MEMBER. THIS IS A FAMILY OF EIGHT FIRST GENERATION AND INCLUDES EVERYONE IN THE UNITED STATES. HOW DO I FIND INFORMATION ON PREVIOUS GENERATIONS. OUR FAMILY IS FROM THE ISLAND OF LESBOS, AKA MYTILINI, GREECE

19 angelo librantiJanuary 22, 2009 at 3:49 pm

Ho già composto l’albero genealogico della mia famiglia, risalente al 1769. Vorrei collaborare ed aiutare
gli altri a scoprire le proprie origini.