Posted by on July 23, 2008 in World Archives Project

We have recently released a beta version of our new public indexing initiative that we are VERY excited about! So far we have several people indexing in the new tool and giving us great feedback. We believe the project is a win-win to contributors as well as to Ancestry, and will give genealogists around the world the opportunity to network and share resources. All indexes completed within the World Archives Project will be made permanently free on Ancestry.

Through this collaboration, we will be able to publish unique content sets much more quickly than we would be able to do on our own, and help save records that may not otherwise be preserved because of resource constraints. We are even excited to give contributors the ability to chime in and recommend projects to index as part of the World Archives Project.

We would love to hear what you think about the project and your ideas for making it the best experience possible. If you would like to participate in the beta and try it out, sign up here and we will notify you within a few days with a link to download the tool.

wap-step-2-screenshot-for-blog.jpg

wap-step-5-screenshot-for-blog.jpg

First Jones

First!

July 23, 2008 at 1:53 pm
Valerie

I received an invite but I can’t participate due to my having a mac. When do you expect to have a mac version available? Although I’d rather index for Family Search, I’m still interested in checking out what ancestry is up to. They have a mac version, so I’m surprised that you don’t. Then again – maybe I shouldn’t be surprised considering all the bugs I deal with (I generally have to switch between Safari and Firefox to have all of ancestry.com work for me)

July 23, 2008 at 2:14 pm
Carol A. H.

I would like to know more of what is required before I would sign up, though.

At this time, I think it would be fun to help, but if Ancestry is going to make me use the new search as opposed to the old search, I don’t think I’ll have the time.

July 23, 2008 at 4:17 pm
Mike

Let’s see. We can either volunteer index at Family Search where the index will be available free online *AND* the images will be free at the FHL and local family history centers even if a commercial provider hosts those images, or we can volunteer index for Ancestry where only the index will be free online and the images not available except by subscription, *including* to the family history centers. Is that right?

So you tell us you Ancestry geniuses. Why exactly should we prefer to index for free for Ancestry versus Family Search? No reason that I can think of, but please enlighten us.

Mike

July 23, 2008 at 8:18 pm
Xander

Explain this to me again ….. You say that “We believe the project is a win-win to contributors as well as to Ancestry…”

What exactly do contributors win?

July 23, 2008 at 8:23 pm
Karl

I do think its a good idea. But, I would suggest perhaps a discounted rate on your annual subscription, or some kind of bone for helping to index your records (that you profit off). Otherwise someone stated, above I would rather index for a non-profit organization where I’ll have free access to the index and images.

July 24, 2008 at 6:28 am
luke

Hi you are good! I’m a poet too, though not as good as you. You have such a great potential. Keep it up! Busby Seo Challenge

July 26, 2008 at 2:47 am
Tricia

I think this is “GREAT”. I love Ancestry.com. I am on the site just about everyday with my research. I would love to be part of this project.

July 26, 2008 at 2:19 pm
Tricia

P.S.

Please sign me up…

July 26, 2008 at 2:19 pm
Ken

I signed up but like above posters want to see just how much I “win”.

I’ve been indexing at familysearch for a year now and will continue. If Ancestry (where I have been a paying member for 8 years) does not do something for volunteers/take suggestions for records we’d like to index, etc I see no reason to help here. Better off helping familysearch.

July 28, 2008 at 12:55 pm
Susan

I have to agree with many others view. I pay close to $300 a year for Ancestry’s annual subscription and have done so for many many years.
Business 101 – When you have direct competition for a resource (volunteers, time and their expertise), you need make your benefits more attractive than your competitors (ie: reduced subscription price).
FamilySearch provides a benefit (regardless of any volumteer efforts) with free index and free images at their libraries.
Ancestry needs to ‘step up to the plate’ and offer a substantial discount for our SME (subject matter experts) time and effort.
Suggestion for Ancestry: For 300 hours of SME volunteer time/effort, Ancestry can waive the $300 annual subscription.

July 28, 2008 at 8:04 pm
melvin meyers

Read article Two House at http://www.hearoisrael.org see if your related to Adraham Isaac and Jacob!!!

July 29, 2008 at 3:02 am
24-7 Family History Circle » New Volunteer Indexing Program at Ancestry

[...] July 2008 Update: This project has moved into private beta testing per the Ancestry blog. Stay tuned to the Ancestry Weekly Journal and this blog to learn when the beta testing goes [...]

July 31, 2008 at 5:53 pm
betty neth

i love ancestry.com. when i first searching for my family, all i had to go on was my mother’s bible. it was so confusing, because some of the information did not match up with what i got from other members of my family. ancestry customer service people helped me go onto my family searches and placed the members of my fasmily in their actual spot in my family tree. they helped me find my mother’s info., ..my fathers info, and correcting the mistakes i had made becaus ei did not know how to do. i had my oldest sons name in the place of my youngest sons father. they are 3 years apart in age, but the people from ancestry helped me get all that straight. i recommned ancestry.com to everyone who seems to have an interest in doing searches themselves. thanks ancestry.com

August 7, 2008 at 7:31 am
Donna Martin-Netherton

I am interested in helping with the World Archives Project …I use a Macintosh — Why is that a problem in this project (per info in a comment here)??
By the way, I spend some time almost everyday searching and have printed numerous books as gifts on ancestry press and my Mac has never been a problem!
Donna

August 27, 2008 at 6:48 pm
Nan Whitcomb

I thought it would be fun to work on the Archives Project. I downloaded everything and the first one I did worked fine. The next time I went to open it and it gave me an update, OK, Then the whle thing went downhill. My computer froze, the stuff took for ever to load, so I wnet into Add & Remove Programs and did “Repair”, I thought maybe it would work. At first it did, then it kept freezing up, “not respomding”, then I went to enhance the image to read and after 1/2 hour of slow response, it went back to the faded
image. After an hour and a half I gave up. I couldn’t even sign out, had to use cont/del to get out of it. I was able to give a comment, but nobody has responded to me. Too bad, I am pretty good at deciphering old hand writing too. But I give up I am going to remove the entire thing from my computer.

September 1, 2008 at 4:15 pm
Rebekha

Won’t work for me since that update either.

Now, where do you post concerns about database content? Customer service won’t pass on the information to another department. The following eight databases have recently been posted:

Histoire veritable et naturelle des moeurs & productions du pays de la Nouvelle France, vulgairement dite le Canada 09/02/2008
A la mémoire du Rév. Messire Joseph F.L. Duhamel, secrétaire du diocèse d’Ottawa 09/02/2008
Portraits et dossiers parlementaires du premier Parlement de Quèbec 09/02/2008
A Short history of Kelowna and its surroundings in the Province of British Columbia / by the Agriculture and Trades Association of the Okanagan Mission Valley 09/02/2008
Andrew Castagne, or, Adventure of an old mariner of the brigantine Swordfish wrecked in the gulf of St. Lawrence in 1867 09/02/2008
United Empire Loyalists, Part II 08/26/2008
United Empire Loyalists, Part I 08/25/2008
The Old United Empire Loyalists List 08/22/2008

and surprisingly, they are not available to Canadian subscribers. Seems to be a pretty obvious mistake but, all I get from customer service are rude emails.

I don’t expect that this is the right department but perhaps you could pass on the information… please.

September 2, 2008 at 3:59 am
Glynis

I have tried to go from public to private.
Why is my trees on ancestry still public??

October 6, 2008 at 1:57 am
Angelo Libranti

Sono interessato a collaborare.
Il problema è la lingua.
Le traduzioni non sono perfette ed,
a volte, non si capisce

January 22, 2009 at 3:46 pm
Tina in Adelaide

Tried at least ten times to download and get the updated keying tool, no luck, I am giving up shouldn’t be this hard to volunteer, Family search here i come.
Cheers