Posted by on July 22, 2008 in Content

Ancestry today launched the 1891 Census of Canada, online for the first time. The 1891 Canadian census contains 4.5 million searchable names and 90,000 images of original census pages. Included is information from all 10 present-day Canadian provinces and its three territories. The 1891 census is fully indexed and searchable and can be accessed on Ancestry.ca, as well as on Ancestry.com here.

Content Updates

We’ve also added and or updated the following Ancestry.com databases between July 14 and July 18:

You can view the full list of recently added databases, extending back a couple of months, here: http://www.ancestry.com/search/rectype/recent.aspx

C Wright

Great that the 1891 Canada census is available! Now if only we could view the actual pages…the images don’t load. This is also what has been reported by others. Ancestry should have done a bit of basic quality control first.

July 22, 2008 at 7:06 pm
C Wright

Ancestry doesnt seem to have a spot where major errors can be reported. For instance, this 1891 census has the entire county of Albert County, of New Brunswick, all 10,972 individuals, mistakenly transcribed as being in the province of Manitoba. And if you look up Albert County in NB, there are 0 results.
Anyone know where such huge errors can be reported so they can be fixed sooner rather than later?

July 22, 2008 at 7:53 pm
Mary Beth Marchant

Wonderful-Ancestry giveth and Ancestry taketh away-The Tennessee Marriages data base has the images taken away. The message says “temporarily disabled”. I hope that does not mean for good but I would not bet the farm on that.

July 22, 2008 at 8:51 pm
Cheryl

Thank you, Ancestry, for this index. I’ve had no problems with it. I also appreciate the fact that the transcription corrections I’ve posted lately have been fixed faster than in the past.

July 23, 2008 at 6:23 am
Liz

Wonderful to have an additional Canadian census in the collection! Thank you Ancestry.

However, images from York West (Toronto) Ontario are showing up as if in Prince Edward Island. A search using “Ontario” found the family I was looking for, but reported them to be in PEI in the search results. The images are of Ontario pages, but the breadcrumbs along the top of the page say PEI. Obviously a glitch somewhere, and if I had not had the citation information already, I would not likely have found these folks.
I too could not find a place to report this to someone who could fix it.

July 23, 2008 at 9:04 am
arnewmann

HOW DO I GET TO THE ARCHIVES

August 9, 2008 at 11:19 am
Johnson

We are unable to find marriage records of the living one spouse with a deceased partner and unable to find marriage recorda for several family members with both spouses being deceased.

September 3, 2008 at 8:49 am
james Vallance

Wanting to know when james Vallance came to Ontario and eventually married Grace Snider and staged coarch to Washington state.

September 24, 2008 at 12:56 am
Fessinf

You need to write books ;-)

October 28, 2008 at 6:01 am