Posted by on April 3, 2008 in Company News, Content

Today we launched a collection titled Former Colonial Dependencies Slave Register Collection, 1812-1834, which will allow Caribbean Americans descended from British Empire slaves to delve into their history online.

The registers now on Ancestry.com include details for more than 2.7 million slaves and 280,000 slave owners from a total of 17 former colonial dependencies, including Jamaica, Barbados, Bahamas, Honduras and more.

Beginning in the mid-1600s, many hundreds of thousands of African slaves worked mainly on sugar, tea and tobacco plantations in far flung corners of the British Empire such as the Caribbean and the countries today known as Sri Lanka and as South Africa. The British slave trade became illegal in 1807, but the actual ownership of slaves wasn’t abolished until 1834.

The British Government, in order to monitor ownership and stamp out illegal trading, required British slave owners to complete a slave register every three years, beginning in 1812. The registers list each slave by name and include gender, approximate age and, in some instances, birthplace, as well as parish of residence.

According to the 2000 U.S. Federal Census, more than 1 million U.S. residents reported having ancestors from the Bahamas, Barbados, Jamaica, the British West Indies and Trinidad and Tobago. This collection becomes a vital resource for Caribbean Americans with slavery in their ancestry.

This collection launch has already made international headlines in the United Kingdom, Caribbean and Australia, including the UK’s Channel 4 News and “The Australian.”

Search the database or click on the thumbnail below to view a sample register.

Fred L Crutchfield Sr

Exclude this page from my Book

April 4, 2008 at 2:25 pm
pablo.depaul robinson

if you find more slave newsleters please let me know yrs truly pablodepauyl

April 19, 2008 at 8:18 am
Robert Halton Albritton

need info on my father’s side: Robert Halton Albritton Irish & Dutch ancestery.

April 22, 2008 at 7:06 pm
Chris Mercado

Please make sure that these are high resolution scans of these documents. Also the fee should be included with Anestry.com membership. Isn’t it sad that since slaves were considered property, there are better records on which person was where in the Carribean, yet when I look for my great great grandparents it’s like pulling teeth with finding things on line. It’s no wonder why people after some time just stop caring and stop searching.

May 9, 2008 at 2:21 pm
Dave DeLuca

I wish to hear from Ancestry.com. Not to comment on this topic.
I have found problems with your info and want to know how I can correct them.

June 5, 2008 at 8:55 am
Linwood Pulliam

Need to find out more information on the Pulliam’s and the connections with the Congo People. I do know that the Congo slaves was purchased by the Williams in Caswell County, North Carolina, then owned by Pulliams. I do not know anything else. I would like to know a little more history about these people here in Caswell County, NC. For instant, what were the slave oweners names, how many of these slaves did they owned,how many slaves were born here in the US and Caswell County, and what location are they buried at in Caswell County?

August 25, 2008 at 8:55 am