Updated “find” tool in family tree

Posted by Kenny Freestone on March 26, 2008 in Family Trees

This might be something you already use, or maybe something you haven’t tried much yet. In the top right corner of most family tree pages we have a little tool that lets you find or quickly jump to any person in your tree. Today we made some changes to it, and want to get your feedback on the changes–Like it? Hate it? Let me know (kfreestone at tgn.com).

find

Comments
1 RonMarch 26, 2008 at 4:18 pm

I like it …the fact that you can isolate a name down to more then the first name helps, and when the name is highlighted and allowing you to hit enter ….this all makes using search much simpler!

2 RobMarch 26, 2008 at 4:47 pm

It’s a very, cool handy feature to use, quicker to type out the first few letters to see what generates a list of names out of it.

3 AnjaMarch 26, 2008 at 6:48 pm

I like it very much. I used it on the german homepage of ancestry today. Very easy to use and it gives a great overview. It does make it easier to find people. Thank you!

4 TylerMarch 26, 2008 at 7:43 pm

Thumbs up! A most useful enhancement.

5 LisaMarch 26, 2008 at 8:11 pm

Great enhancement! Keep up the great work. Can’t wait to see what will be new next?

6 BevMarch 26, 2008 at 10:11 pm

The new feature is great…now if you could figure out how to filter search results in similar ways! (check out the new search on footnote.com for ideas!)

7 FamilyHistoryGeekMarch 27, 2008 at 8:00 am

I think this tool is wonderful. I have often fretted about having to go back to my home person just to get to a different point in my tree. And my tree is getting very very large. Great advantage.

8 DaveMarch 27, 2008 at 2:49 pm

I like it. The new feature is especially helpful in finding people that go by their middle name when I forget their real first name.

9 AnjaMarch 27, 2008 at 3:10 pm

With a big amount of pictures it would be great if i could sort by pictures taht are not yet added to a person. (Like shown in ancestrypress)

10 dedeMarch 27, 2008 at 4:17 pm

Kenny, it’s not easier. I cannot find my notes for general users to view, nor access return trees any easier. Did you work for the gov befor getting this job, cause the red tape is deep.

11 TimMarch 27, 2008 at 7:16 pm

I like this enhancement – clearer, easier to find the right person, and gets rid of having to hit the fiddly little Go button. Nice work.
Now might it be possible to have the more important “exact search” enhancement for historical data that is needed?

12 KarenMarch 28, 2008 at 7:45 am

I really like this idea, this is a good one. It saves you time- which is what we all want- and seems very accurate, i.e. just the names in our tree, and no weird cross-referencing.

13 C. BaileyMarch 28, 2008 at 9:01 am

If I have to enter-in all of my
ancestors’ names into the tree,
then what am I paying you all for?
I came to this site to pay you to
find my ancestory. If I have to type
in everybody’s names going back 200
yrs. then I don’t need this crappy
site then do I?

14 Laurie A. BarthlowMarch 31, 2008 at 7:00 am

This enhancement is slick. I like it!

15 Robert KleinMarch 31, 2008 at 10:37 am

With all the major problems with FTM 2008 why waste time with these litle features. Get all the big problems fixed first.

16 Michael ReedMarch 31, 2008 at 2:47 pm

Looking for anyone with the surname Eppinger from New Castle Pa.
Any information wpould be appreciated.
Many Thanks
Michael

17 SamanthaApril 3, 2008 at 12:24 am

I think it’s so much better and easier!! I have noticed that sometimes the options that come up are split into two groups, separated by a bolder line. What does this mean? Is it ranking them by how closely connected they are to the home person or by some other factor?

18 Kenny FreestoneApril 3, 2008 at 12:15 pm

In response to comment 17…

Hi Samantha. We list the matches for the first name above the bolder line, and the matches for the surname or middle name after the bolded line.

–Kenny

19 LizApril 5, 2008 at 3:14 am

Love this new feature. Great when people go by middle names or nicknames as many in my family tree do.
thanks!

20 BarbApril 13, 2008 at 6:14 am

Its a brilliant little feature! saves so much time.

21 donnalahoApril 21, 2008 at 9:20 am

Would like to know more about this tool

22 Adolphus GraceMay 29, 2008 at 3:54 pm

Every time you all make changes, I get locked out of my site. Now I’m getting the security certificate and can’t even get to my Email. In addition, the ancestry that I have been working on has dumpted everything past the fourth generation. How do I get help with this? Put it in plain english because I’m not a nerd. Thanks.

23 Carl SevasinJune 30, 2008 at 9:55 am

Type your comment here.

24 DocAugust 5, 2008 at 8:14 pm

Need to know how to access my anestry files or tree on ancestry.com In the past, all I had to do was to enter ancestry.com in the upper right corner of the screen and it took me to a site where I made another selection that took me directly to it. That is no longer there. How do I ge to my tree?

25 Linda FryeAugust 28, 2008 at 4:37 pm

I had found a sight, called, Famous people related to Linda Frye—-on Ancestry, now cannot find it, can anyone tell me where to find it ???
Thanks !!!!!

26 PatSeptember 28, 2008 at 10:40 am

When I am updating people with hints, I try to go backwards to find who these people are and what connection they are to me. I find this very difficult to go back to home person, ME, one step at a time. Is there some other way that I do not know about?

27 morne scheepersDecember 1, 2008 at 5:55 am

good stuff

28 ann gorbyJanuary 24, 2009 at 12:08 pm

im looking for family members of my mothers. how do i do it?

29 ann gorbyJanuary 24, 2009 at 12:11 pm

my mothers fathers name was james lawton breedlove. he was born in lawton wv.