On occasion I come across enhancement requests or questions about features that are currently in Family Tree Maker 2008. Here is a short list of some of those items.
Support for all media files
Users can link to any type of media by selecting “All Files” under the “Files of type” drop-down. The default is set to image files, but any type of media can be linked.
An address report can be created following these steps:
- Open the “Custom Report”
- Click the “Reset” button
- Click the “Items to include” button
- Click the blue + button. The Select Fact window opens.
- Choose “Address” from the Facts list and click OK.
- In the “Included facts” list, highlight a fact, such as birth, and click the red X button.
- Click OK.
- In Individuals to include, click “Selected individuals.” The Filter Individuals window opens. No individuals should be included in the report at this point; if there are, click Exclude All to clear the report.
- To choose a group of descendants, click an ancestor’s name in the “Name” list
- Click “Descendants.” The list on the right side of the window now includes a list of that ancestor’s descendants.
- Click OK. The report opens.
Add a new Source-Citation
In addition to adding source-citations to facts in the People workspace, you can create new source-citations in the Sources workspace as well by clicking the ‘Add’ button in the upper right section of the ‘Sources’ workspace.
Users can choose to have Family Tree Maker 2008 ignore the place warnings and remove the question marks in the Places panel.
This can be done under “Tools – Options – Warnings” and then uncheck the “Show unrecognized place name indicators” box.
Fonts can be set to display larger by clicking the “Use large fonts” box in the General Options window.