Revamped Ancestry.com Learning Center

Posted by Ancestry.com on January 8, 2008 in Ancestry.com Site

Learning CenterAncestry.com has recently introduced a new Learning Center to help those researching family history find answers and advice. Our new Learning Center offers an abundance of resources for beginners to seasoned genealogists – including video tutorials, articles and how-to guides, genealogy communities, family history project ideas, and more.

The tutorials, narrated by Ancestry.com’s Chief Family Historian Megan Smolenyak, cover a series of family history topics such as DNA Research, Brick Walls, Family Trees, War Records, and a host of other subjects. Ancestry.com will continue to add tutorials on differing topics. A newly-organized library helps users easily search and navigate through online editions of the Ancestry Weekly Journal, Ancestry Monthly, Ancestry Magazine, video, and newsletter archives.

The new-and-improved Learning Center is still in its early stages and will continue to receive updates, but we’d love for you to check out the new features and give us your thoughts!

Comments
1 Blue JeansJanuary 8, 2008 at 6:07 pm

Perhaps you can help – there are some articles in the new-and-improved Learning Center that I can’t find. Where are the video tutorials, articles and how-to guides that explain to new users about incomplete databases, cross-linked images, index errors, advanced search engine bugs, or the oozing pus that you call OWT?

… just to name a few.

2 leonyJanuary 10, 2008 at 7:27 pm

I agree with Blue Jeans

3 Chris ButlerJanuary 11, 2008 at 3:27 pm

I can’t find a lot of the tools I used to use regularly in the Learning Center, like searching for name meanings. Has that been removed?

4 Fred TischlerJanuary 15, 2008 at 10:52 am

Ben,

I spent about 6 hours off-and-on yesterday with FTM’s tech support trying to install FTM2008 so it would launch successfully. When launch is attempted, a windows comes up from the OS stating that there was an error and do I want to send a report to Microsoft. I am running a Windows XP Pro, x64 bit. Hardware is an AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor 5600+, with 2 Gb RAM, 750 GB HD in RAID 5 mode on a ASUS M2N motherboard. This is a very stable system that never has given any OS or hardware problems, not one lock-up in a year of use. In fact I’ve been running FTM V9.0 on this system for nearly a year without any problems. I also have a Laptop running Windows XP x32 bit, Home and this FTM2008 package installs and launches properly.

Some at FTM tech support think the installation was not successful because the launch fails, no part of the programs comes up. I beginning to believe that FTM technical staff never tested this software with Windows XP Pro, 64 bit (perhaps I’m wrong), because when I asked the question, I never got a definitive answer. The FTM web site gives system requirements and states that FTM2008 works with Windows XP & Vista, but says nothing about 64 bit.

Here is what I tried as suggested by FTM tech support:
1. Stopped MS firewall, anti-virus, and set security to a minimum before installation. Launch was unsuccessful!
2. Installed from a clean system as outlined on the FTM web site. Launch was unsuccessful!
3. Created a new administrator USER and installed from it. Launch was unsuccessful!
4. Loaded the FTM patch. Launch was unsuccessful!
5. Upgraded to .NET Framework 3.0 from Microsoft’s website. Launch was unsuccessful!

The last time I talked to tech support (Naomi) they were out of ideas!

Ben, I have FTM2008 in an envelop ready to return, but will continue to try to solve the problem if you have any suggestions or can get tech support to try again. I like the user interface and the functionality over the old FTM V9.0 package, but if I cannot get it to run, it’s of no use.

Fred Tischler

FTM Dev wrote:
> Fred,
> I saw your post and was wondering if you have tried downloading the patch manually?
> Instructions to do so are here: http://www.familytreemaker.com/Support/Patch.aspx
> If this does not work, I would like to send your error reports to the Family Tree Maker development team. Please let me know if the manually patch helps at your earliest convenience. Thank you!
> BEN NETTESHEIM
> Sr E-Commerce & Brand Marketing Manager
> Family Tree Maker
> A 360 W 4800 N Provo, UT 84604
> Part of The Generations Network

5 june barronJanuary 16, 2008 at 5:39 am

I like the new Learning Center, but I am lost and need help. I want to visit the library, the way it used to be presented. I need to see the categories listed and browse by subject. I think we are supposed to be able to do this by clicking on a library tab. However, I cannot find the library tab. It just isn’t there! Is this something not loading on my computer, or have others had the same problem. I sure would like an answer to this and would dearly love to actually see the word, library on the page. Thanks for any answers.

6 Linda L. Wolfe-JohnsonJanuary 17, 2008 at 9:56 am

I would like to find info about my ancestors, I know that somewhere there are Indian ancestory but my family never wanted to talk about it and my cousin has done some back ground work but I need to find out more. I would like to know the percentage of Indian blood that I may have so I can let my children know and grandchildren also. Thank you. Linda L. Wolfe-AJohnson

7 Lori MentzelJanuary 17, 2008 at 6:23 pm

I have never been able to successfully receive the weekly newsletters via email, so every week I enjoyed reading them at http://www.ancestry.com/learn/library/article.aspx?article=dailynews. It is disappointing that you rearranged (creating the new Learning Center) without letting us users know how to get to the new location of our favorite features. Would it have been so hard to add a note to the old page (above address), letting me know I needed to bookmark http://learn.ancestry.com/LearnMore/LearnMoreLnd.aspx now?

8 sharon flaxcombJanuary 18, 2008 at 8:57 am

PLEASE MAKE THE INFO BETTER TO PRINT THIS IS NOT AS GOOD AS WHAT YOU HAD IN 199 !ITIS NO GOOD IF WE CNT READ INFO 1 FOR EXA— NAMES ! OR CREDIT ME FORMY MONEY !

AND REMOVE ME FROM ANCESTERY !
THANK YYOU SHARON FLAXCOMB P.S.THIS DOES NOT EVEN GIVE THE INFO AS IT USEDTO !!!!!!!!

9 James S. HillJanuary 18, 2008 at 11:00 am

Got FTM2008 fairly soon after it came out. Thought I would like it but have went back to FTM2006/16. It is very crowded and I wanted to move my entries from 2006 to 2008 one at a time after I was sure they were correct and sourced. Can not find a way dto do that. With the complaints I have heard about 2008 I think when a new updated version comes out we should get a reduced price as this FTM 2008 falls short of your usual quality. Thank You a +70 user

10 jeannie brownJanuary 21, 2008 at 8:11 am

I HAVE SCANNED ALL OF MY OLD PHOTOS AND WHEN I TRY TO ADD A PICTURE, IT ADDS ALL OF THEM TO PAGE .I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO AD A PICTURE TO A PAGE , NOT ALL 400 OF THEM . HELP THANKS JEANNIE

11 ELLEN HOGANJanuary 24, 2008 at 11:48 am

SEARCHING FOR GEORGE HANEY BORN IN CULPEPPER,VA.ON OCTOBER 25,1903.

12 luciano zenobioJanuary 27, 2008 at 3:23 am

buongiorno mi chiamo Luciano zenobio origine siciliana di melilli provincia di augusta sicilia abito in liguria camogli provincia di Genova i miei parenti abitavano in california mia nonna era di sacramento cordiali saluti (se possibile sapere qalcosa della mia famiglia)

13 brandon McdowellJanuary 30, 2008 at 8:53 am

Type your comment here.

14 Jean SpiekerFebruary 18, 2008 at 1:21 am

Terrible revamp! PUT it BACK. I have wasted 20 minutes and gotten nowhere! I do NOT want basic tutorials, the original system was very complete and easy. This is truely awful and I will not continue with my subscription unless it goes back to the original search page.

15 Isobell MillsapFebruary 19, 2008 at 5:14 pm

I hope it has been found difficlt for you to put out a product and been told the truth by your customers. I do admire your courage at publishing the critisism especially after all the the trouble I have had with it.
You see I really wanted the program to work.
ceim2634

16 Larry ElrodFebruary 22, 2008 at 5:23 pm

I have had a problem with my Ancestry.com page for about three weels now.When I go to “list of all people”, under the A-Z where you click on the “H” everything is duplicated.What is on page one is duplicated on page two.I have contacted Ancestry twice and have been told that they are “updating” and it will be fixed soon.However it is not fixed.This is a problem I did not cause and can’t fix.One of the staff that I spoke to acted as if it shouldn’t bother me.I have called back three times since and was on hold for so long that I had to hang up.I do have other things to do and can’t just sit on the phone waiting on someone to answer my call.I am very disgusted with Ancestry .com
Can anyone tell me how to fix the problem I am talking about.

17 Larry ElrodFebruary 22, 2008 at 5:30 pm

I meant to add in my first comment that if Ancestry doesn’t correct my issues soon I am going to cancel my subscription and go to another site.

18 Joyce EmeryMarch 8, 2008 at 8:56 am

How can I view my “Data CD’s” marriage records etc…in FTM 2008? In either Win-XP or in Vista? In version 16 of FTM there is a tab under view that says “Data CD” I click and view the CD with no problem. How can I read the same CD in FTM 2008? {:^(-

19 Joann FiskMarch 22, 2008 at 5:18 pm

I have been considering a subscription to Ancestory.com but after reading the problems with users that have been with you and now are so upset about the quality of Ancestory.com I think I better save my money and look elsewhere. With all advertising and great information you have; why would you change something that is making alot of people upset. Does any subscribers recommend I subscribe to Ancestory.com?

20 James ArnettAugust 2, 2008 at 8:09 am

On the family tree, when there have been more than one sumission on a family tree how can you find out who submitted this information. I would like to verify their informational source since I am a son of the person they submitted? Please let me know.

21 Thomas ReitzJanuary 8, 2009 at 12:41 am

“Excellent point! I read most of your article and establish it great. The points you furnished in your article are magnificent. I am actually waiting for your following conceived of.

Thanks and best of luck!”

22 HerbertJanuary 19, 2009 at 11:55 am

Thats a great tool. Do you know any european tool?