Posted by on December 20, 2007 in Family Trees

We’re also excited today to introduce a cool little tool that lets you add notes or annotations on photos. The tool is super handy for identifying people within a photo, since you can highlight an area of the photo and type in a name or description of the highlighted area.

The notes only appear when your mouse hovers over the image. When your mouse hovers over the note, you’ll see the note text appear.

The notes are stored alongside the other information you enter about the photo. If the photo is public the notes you add will also be public.notes on photos

Patrick Aitken

I love this feature. It really helps to identify who is who in those large group shots.

December 20, 2007 at 1:37 pm
TK42ONE

Will this be a feature you can include in the new Family Tree Maker 2008? Of all the programs I’ve used for photo editing, this is the first I’ve seen that makes it easy and simple to use.

December 20, 2007 at 1:48 pm
Rebekha

Excellent! This would be a great feature for myfamily.com, too.

December 21, 2007 at 6:11 am
Hugh Watkins

also standard on Flickr.com which some ancestry staffers post pictures too

good idea to have a “place this photo on map” feature too

Hugh W

December 22, 2007 at 8:39 am
Jim Weiss

So where do I find this “tool”?

December 30, 2007 at 6:42 pm
Gary S. Collins

It’s a great feature, but only visible to those to have paid a hefty annual subscription fee to ancestry.com.

Gary Collins

January 6, 2008 at 4:13 am
Rich Schurr

Please add this to FTM 2008.

January 6, 2008 at 10:57 pm
Leonard Noland

Gary. Ancestry.com does NOT charge someone to build and maintain their tree in the Ancestry Member Tree system.

January 7, 2008 at 5:29 am
jemhay

With respect, Leonard – Gary stated that it’s only available to VIEW by those that have paid a subscription, not that one has to pay to create it. :)

January 7, 2008 at 7:14 pm
Diane Tortorella

Can’t wait to try it out. It sounds like a good idea.

January 8, 2008 at 3:50 pm
Ronald Cuthbert

I have a dificult time scaning photos in to the new 2008 Tree. The 2006 tree it was easy. I am still useing it on pictures. Please help me.

January 8, 2008 at 5:32 pm
Steve Hall

I enjoy adding photo’s of the individuals that are in my tree. However, we can go back only so far. How about adding a genealogy clipart source to add black and white clipart (or other clipart) depicting such things as occupations for Farmers, Blacksmiths, Deacons, Military personel etc.

January 17, 2008 at 8:34 am
Melanie Atkins

I have tons of photos to add to my family tree, and would like to be able to rearrange them as I add new photos so that they will appear in chronological order. At present, it appears to me that the photos appear in the order submitted and cannot be rearranged when additions are made. Please let me know if I have missed something here.

January 17, 2008 at 2:39 pm
Janet McCully

I imported a large quantity of pictures, and I can find them in photos, but I can’t figure out how to get them into the other areas of Ancestry that I want them.

January 22, 2008 at 8:03 am
Laurie A. Barthlow

Well this is super cool. So do you really have to be a paying member to see the notes on the photo? I pay the max, but my family/guests do not, and I certainly want them to be able to see this cool feature, because those are the people it will mean the most to!

February 5, 2008 at 7:13 am
Laurie A. Barthlow

Also, I fully agree with what Melanie Atkins wrote about wanting the ability to rearrange the photos on the Tree. That would be a big help! And I’ve always wanted to know why the photos “jump up” when you first open an individual profile page. (It’s not a problem really, I’m just curious.)

February 5, 2008 at 7:16 am
Laurie A. Barthlow

One more comment – I really like Steve Hall’s comment/suggestion about the black and white clip art. It would be fun to be able to add/import clip art or historic photos to the profile pages of the ancestors who do not have photos. Thanks!

February 5, 2008 at 7:19 am
Diana

How can I import my photos from ancestry.com to FTM 2008?

February 22, 2008 at 3:15 pm
Joseph Tan Seang Kuan

Dear Friends,

I find Ancestry.com good to use, but have the following suggestions:

1. Viewing photos/comments/stories in later pages of multiple pages – when returning to main page, it always goes back to page 1 even if the item viewed is in later pages. Shouldn’t it go back to the sourced page.

2. Grouping photos – I have many photos posted in and searching for photos is difficult. Perhaps being able to sort photos into albums or type will be helpful. Eg. potraits, groups, events, etc. A free-style creating of albums would be the best.

Thanks again. And best wishes.

Joe Tan

February 25, 2008 at 9:46 pm
keith davey

well we are certainly spoilt for choice when it comes to choosing how we want to compile and design our family tree, ancestry have thought of everything, i am drawn to the beta layout, is it possible that we will be able to print this at some point or even tranfer any of the trees to disc, bearing in mind all the hidden info within the tree, could this be displayed with the main layout ie children & grandchildren

February 28, 2008 at 8:44 am
Ernest Christian Donner

Every time I request a birth or death certificate for whomever in my family tree e.g. Great Great grandfather Friedrich Julius Donner my address in Australia is rejected and is causing me some difficulty in completeing my Family Tree. What can you do to overcome this feature?

May 18, 2008 at 7:58 pm
Xavier Le Dantec

Notes On Photos
I think this is a really COOL feature !

But I can’t save the note… It has disapeared every time I reload the photo ! Did I miss something ?

May 21, 2008 at 8:02 am
Stuart Gourd

I am weighing in against clip art. Pics should be relevant. I have seen things like country flags that don’t excite me a whole lot. Of course, everybody can add what they wish.

May 29, 2008 at 1:55 pm