Sharing and collaboration in AncestryPress

Posted by Ancestry.com on December 11, 2007 in Ancestry.com Site

We recently launched a new collaboration feature for people who are working together to build online trees on Ancestry.com. In the past, a tree owner could invite other family members to view and edit an online tree, but only the tree owner could use the data in the tree to create a project in AncestryPress. Now anyone who has been invited to collaborate on a tree can create an AncestryPress project based on that tree.

We are working on several additional sharing and collaboration tools that will become available early in 2008. You’ll be able to invite others to preview your AncestryPress project, order printed copies of it or create a digital copy that they can modify as a new project. Eventually you’ll also be able to invite family members to contribute content directly to your AncestryPress project.

Christine Barton asked whether a preview feature is forthcoming in AncestryPress. The answer is yes—and very soon after the holidays. Christine, the answer to your second question is that even after you’ve ordered a printed copy of your book, you can update the digital version to add new content and take advantage of new functionality. Your project will not “age off” AncestryPress; it will remain available to you until you decide to delete it. Some new features will automatically be backwards compatible with your existing project, while others may require you to do a little bit of tweaking.

AncestryPress users have been sending us a lot of great ideas for new features through the Feedback link in the top right corner of the AncestryPress interface. These suggestions have been very useful in helping us define our 2008 roadmap for functional enhancements. We don’t respond to Feedback messages unless we need additional information to understand a customer’s concern, but we do read every single message. You can also use the Feedback form to let us know what you like about AncestryPress. We’ve received many success stories from happy customers…please keep those coming!

If you have a customer service issue or a question that requires a response, please click the Contact Us link in the bottom right corner of the AncestryPress site and send a message to AncestryPress Support. You should receive a personal response from a Member Services agent within two business days. You can also call the toll-free support line at 800-262-3787. AncestryPress is the second option in the phone tree, so if you press”2″ you’ll get an agent who is trained to answer questions about AncestryPress.

Remember that today is the last day to order a family tree poster in time for Christmas Eve delivery with standard shipping. The expedited shipping deadlines are December 12 (Wednesday) for books and December 16 (Sunday) for posters.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

NOTE: AncestryPress is now MyCanvas

In October 2008, AncestryPress was relaunched under the name MyCanvas. It is still a free, online software program provided by Ancestry.com. For current information about products and features, please see my more recent blog posts.

Comments
1 Jason HuffDecember 12, 2007 at 9:26 pm

I created and ordered five books for my mother’s side of the family tree as gifts. Overall, they are excellent! The paper stock and the printing is outstanding. Areas of improvement:

- the hardback book isn’t what I thought it would be, but it works.
- possibilty of adding the book title to the spine?
- allow more than 10 events on the timeline page (I had wanted to do an extended family timeline for all 50+ members of the family, but it wasn’t possible when we got to the grandkids and great-grandkids due to the limitation of 10 events per page).

2 MindianamomDecember 13, 2007 at 5:58 am

I would like to search for some long lost family members. I was looking for Charlie Broaddus and Google brought me here. I just don’t know where to start. Any suggestions?
thanks

3 Laurie A. BarthlowDecember 20, 2007 at 8:25 am

My books came in, and here is my feedback. I think the cover is too plain. I don’t mind the black color, and the texture is okay, but it would be nice if we could at least add some embellishments to the title. I agree with what Jason Huff wrote about wanting to add the title to the spine.

I also agree with what Jason wrote about the paper quality. I am very pleased with the quality of the pages and the printing. It is very professional.

The few family members that have already received my book are thrilled, and I will soon start two more projects. I will greatly look forward to the coming improvements in the program (especially print preview!) but all in all I think it’s wonderful.

4 Janet RibbensDecember 24, 2007 at 11:23 am

I recently purchased Family TreeMaker 2008 and am very disappointed with it. It doesn’t do many of the things that my older versions had which include the ability to make my own book, nonpublished and not shared, with the pubic.

How can I make my own “book” without going to Ancestrypress?

Janet

5 margaretDecember 26, 2007 at 4:27 pm

hi
I don’t know if this is where i should be for this. I started a family tree on ancestry.com. I came across it by chance. I am computor illiterate, and don’t know how I can make it accessable so others can get in contact with me. I just have t so I could invite family. Is there a way to do this or is it all private?
Everything I’ve found was by accident. I have years of history written out, and I’d like to put it on computor for others looking for the same families, so we can help each other. iv’e seen other names listed, but what i have are not. what am I doing wrong. I think this site is the ultimate, if I can figure out what I’m doing.
margaret

6 Judy CurbowJanuary 4, 2008 at 3:42 pm

This is off topic – but I’m not computer saavy enough to start a new entry :)
I find that ancestry press is often times very slow. Over all I like it very much…but it is slow. Oftentimes the pages don’t load properly…and I have to log off and on on multiple occasions. Printing is SLOW. Today I tried to print and my photos are corrupting – and I’ve had nothing but problems. I gave up in frustration. My greatest fear is that I’m gonig to lose my book! I am close to the 100 page limit. I have 10 generations in one branch of the family tree…and I need more than 100 pages! How close are you to increasing the page limit? Also…need more embellishment choices. Thank you.

7 Trent CharltonJanuary 5, 2008 at 8:27 pm

First I would like to say that Ancestry.com is one of the greatest online tools I have ever used for any task. In the matter of a few days I have been able to go from no data other than my parents back to as many as 7 generations. I would like to see a blog feature that could easily convert all of my data into a webpage or blog that friends and family could visit. If they had the option to order books directly that would also be a nice feature. Spending $299 a year and then doing all of the work and then buying everyone in my family books makes this a little on the expensive side. Thsi would help reduce cost for me and increase business for you. Thank you for a great product.

8 Michelle JorgensonJanuary 8, 2008 at 12:08 pm

Can anyone help me with ancestors in Norway? I would love to have this information before I create a book.

9 GERRI KOHNJanuary 10, 2008 at 1:29 am

I think this site is great. However, I am hitting a block. I started researching my father’s side of the family, but I have hit a block. Any ideas? For example:
I located the date and place my greatgrandparents got married but not birth records on either side.
I believe my greatgrandfather was born in Ohio possible 1830-1835. And his wife was born in Illnois 1833-1835.

10 krussellyidJanuary 11, 2008 at 7:54 pm

Look for Military records, land and other court records, newspaper articles, etc. It’s a laborious process even with the amazing technology Ancestry.com has brought us. I’ve accomplished so much in several months that took my father and I years of ordering microfiche from LDS, death certificates from municipalities and emails with others on gen lists!

Best of luck with your research. You mivht also try to Google and find genealogical groups located near their marriage location and hit their forums

K

11 Lesley MannJanuary 13, 2008 at 8:02 am

Hi I want to ask if anyone knows what would happen if I shared my Project with someone and they did some editing which I did not want on mine or even accidently deleted my Project. Would I also lose my Project aswell. I would love to share my Project with a family member but I’m afraid to because of these fears. Please can someone tell me? Lesley

12 Laurie A. BarthlowJanuary 14, 2008 at 8:01 am

When is this blog going to be updated? A lot of good issues have been raised here, and I watch for a response from Ancestry every day. We need to up the 100 page limit, we need more backgrounds, more embellishments . . . more, more, more! Can you tell I’m spending way too much time on Ancestry Press? Stephanie, we need you!

13 Barbara MurphyJanuary 19, 2008 at 5:22 pm

I love your Ancestry Press and although I have been with ancestry.com for two years and world for less than one, I have finally learned to use it and I think it is marvelous. Like many others I’d like to see more pages added and if you have any hints other than the million e-amils I have sent through ancestry.com as a way to communicate with others, I’d love to hear from you. Most of the sites where I thought might have information have had no updates for more than a year so I doubt that they are really interested anymore. So far, I have ONE person that is helping me with a portion of my ancestry work. I presntly have 473 families in my ancestry tree and it builds daily as I add new cousins, spouces and whoever should find a way to wiggle into my files. I think I could use more than a hundred sheets!

14 DianeFebruary 15, 2008 at 12:40 pm

This Q is for Jason or someone who has a printed book from ancestry press.

I’m currently working on 5 projects for my family for ancestry press.

I’d love to know if you used pictures in your project and if you recommend only black/white or did the color work out ok. Were the pictures as clear when printed as they were online?

— Plus, I agree with the more choices and with the name on the Spine…too plain.

15 Harriet PeaveyFebruary 24, 2008 at 9:13 am

can I submit a story to you for publishing in your magazine. I can assure you it is well worth your time to read it.

16 Mary MahanMarch 12, 2008 at 8:13 am

I just sent my order in and cannot wait to see my book. This is lots of fun and I am now on another book. How do I let my family go online to view the book and purchase it without giving my password to ancestry out? You need to add more embellishments and page options. Like a birthday, anniversary, wedding, graduation, etc. page. I have lots of ideas but, I am sure you know what I am saying. More options so we don’t have the same things on the pages. Also, the black cover pages, I could not use them so I added pages to the book, in front of the main page, myself. Is there a way to use those black pages? Thanks for a great product that is awesome to play with. GravehunterMary—Roots to Branches ancestry.

17 Ethel ClineMarch 22, 2008 at 5:52 pm

I have over 4000 persons in my tree. I want to write this up for publication but need help. I am looking for software for publishing genealogy logically includeing how to number each person. Please advise.
Thank you for your time and consideration.

18 Lynn ScottApril 11, 2008 at 11:38 am

I am having a problem with the Invite Family feature. Some family members I have invited received the invitation and others didn’t. The ones that didn’t I have re-invited numerous times and they still haven’t gotten an invitation. Why is this happening?

Also why wasn’t the make your family history Website feature put into the new Family Treemaker 2008 and the book feature without using Ancestry Press. The restrictions on size and content of books made on the Press site have kept me from using it.

19 Frank Angus Hulbert JrMay 15, 2008 at 8:18 am

Read : Memoirs of seventy years of
an eventiful life by Charles Hulbert of England 1852. Saxon Origin

WEBSITES

20 JosephJuly 16, 2008 at 8:26 pm

I find your website one of the most useless, generic sites I ever had the frustration of trying to use! Who do you think is going to look at a million search results. Your searches are TOO generic! And when I do try to be specific on my searches, you send totally unrelated states, that I NEVER asked for! I REALIZE YOU PEOPLE DON’T CARE, BUT YOU COULD AT LEAST SHOW A LITTLE LESS DISDAIN FOR YOUR CUSTOMERS, BUT MAYBE THAT’S YOUR OBJECT!

21 JosephJuly 16, 2008 at 8:29 pm

WHAT IS ANCESTRY’S FEAR OF CONTACT FROM THEIR CUSTOMERS? WHY DO YOU MAKE IT SO DIFFICULT TO CONTACT YOU?
WHAT DO YOU GAIN BY BEING SO ARROGANT THAT YOU WON’T TALK TO YOUR CUSTOMERS?