New poster formats and better synchronization with Ancestry trees

Posted by Ancestry.com on November 14, 2007 in Ancestry.com Site

If you’re looking for a personalized Christmas or Hanukah gift for someone (or everyone) in your family, now is a great time to check out AncestryPress because we’ve just added two new formats for family tree posters. You can now choose from three formats: a 6-generation standard tree, a 5-generation standard tree and a 5-generation combination tree. The standard tree is just a regular pedigree chart that starts with an individual. The combination tree has a bowtie shape—it starts with a couple and shows three generations of ancestors on each side and one generation of descendants.

We’ve also added a feature that improves the synchronization between AncestryPress and Ancestry.com online family trees. You can now access all the images in your tree from within AncestryPress—even those that are not attached to a specific person.

If you look at the left-hand side of the AncestryPress interface, you’ll see three asset trays for Photos, Embellishments and Ancestry Records. The Photos tray includes images that you’ve uploaded directly to AncestryPress (in JPG or PNG format). The Embellishments tray contains pre-loaded embellishments: flowers, words, pencil art, frames, labels, journal pads, etc. You can create your own embellishments, but you’ll need to upload them to the Photos tray—you cannot upload files to the Embellishments tray.

The Ancestry Records tray actually shows all the images as well as the historical records attached to your online tree. To access images from your online tree that are attached to a person, go to the Ancestry Records tray, select a tree (if you have more than one) and then start typing the name of the person. You shouldn’t need to type more than a few letters because the auto-fill feature will give you a list of all the people in your tree whose names begin with those letters. Once you’ve selected the right person, you’ll see all the photos and records associated with that person. To access images that are not attached to anyone in your tree, select “Not attached to a person.”

Improving the synchronization with Ancestry.com trees is an ongoing process. Our colleagues in the online trees department are working on some exciting new features, and we’re already thinking about ways that we can leverage those upcoming changes to provide a better experience for AncestryPress users.

I hope you’re looking forward to sharing your AncestryPress project—whether it’s a printed book or poster or a work in progress—with your family over Thanksgiving. If you’re still gathering content for a family history book, don’t forget to ask your family members to bring photos and other memorabilia with them to any family gatherings you have planned for next week. Above all, have a safe and happy Thanksgiving!

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

NOTE: AncestryPress is now MyCanvas

In October 2008, AncestryPress was relaunched under the name MyCanvas. It is still a free, online software program provided by Ancestry.com. For current information about products and features, please see my more recent blog posts.

Comments
1 Robert KleinNovember 14, 2007 at 7:15 pm

How about giving us updates on FTM 2008 upgrades and fixes.

2 Jolene NoteboomNovember 15, 2007 at 7:45 am

I have the Ancestry.com tree I work on, and Family Tree Maker Tree. I would like the same information to go on both trees. My trees are too big now for me to use the Gedcom.

Do you have any suggestions that might help me?

Jolene Noteboom

3 Angela GilmourNovember 17, 2007 at 9:47 am

Great! Thanks for all your work. On a different note, I was wondering if there is a way to add the “famous relatives” information into the ancestry press books?

4 C.WelchNovember 19, 2007 at 5:25 am

I’d be more impressed if they put these reports BACK IN to FTM. Many of us have invested is larger printers for photos and such. FTM is severely lacking when it comes to trying to print on my Epson R1800 when even FTM v8 has no problem!

5 Julie D. McHughNovember 20, 2007 at 11:37 pm

I also need a way to import info from my Family Tree Maker 2008 to Ancestory.com.

I also need a tool to ‘detach’ a group of people from one family tree and create a separate tree for that group.

Thanks so much for your help. I’m surprised daily by the power and improvements of this tool!

6 CHERYL[VOIGT]BALDERSTONNovember 21, 2007 at 8:57 am

i’m trying to manage my trees is there any way i can conbined them together?

7 Robyn JohnsonNovember 25, 2007 at 6:12 pm

I’m having a problem with the 5 generation poster. I uploaded my family tree and photos, and on the screen, the poster looks ready to go. But when I print it out on letter size paper, half of the photos are just streaks of ink–no image. Is this just an artifact of the small paper size, and they will print OK on the large poster size? I need to know this before I invest in an order. Any info on this will be greatly appreciated!

8 krussellyidJanuary 11, 2008 at 7:48 pm

I’m interested in publishing up to 16 generation trees. Can’t we do better than six generations? I’d be willing to pay up to about $100 for a 16 gen family tree professionally done.

Thanks for listening.