<< Announcement Update >>
The immediate feedback has helped uncover a bug that was created when updating the speed of the program. The bug affects the file import process. Specifically, it causes the import of FTW files that include media on the master source to fail.
The Family Tree Maker development team is working hard to remedy this and should have a fix shortly. For those of you that have already downloaded the update, a new patch will be available soon. Upon release, this new patch will also be useful for users who have not downloaded Service Pack 2.
I apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your help. I will keep you updated.
<< Original Post from 10.17.07 >>
I am excited to announce the release of the October update for Family Tree Maker 2008. I strongly urge all Family Tree Maker 2008 customers to install this update. “Service Pack 2” contains critical stability and performance enhancements. It also includes the addition of the following reports and charts:
• Genealogy Register Report
• Genealogy Ahnentafel Report
• Hourglass Chart
• Vertical Ancestor Chart
You can install the update by following these steps:
1. Connect to the Internet.
2. Start Family Tree Maker 2008.
3. You will receive a notification that an update is available. Click the “Update” button.
4. The service pack will be applied and your program updated.
If you do not receive a notification that an update is available when you start Family Tree Maker you can:
1. Open Family Tree Maker.
2. Click the “Help” menu item at the top of the program.
3. Click “Check for Updates…”
4. The program will check for an update and notify you if one is available.
To verify that the update worked you can do the following:
1. Open Family Tree Maker 2008
2. Click the “Help” menu item at the top of the program
3. Click “About Family Tree Maker…”
4. On the Product Information tab there is a version number. If the update was successful the version number will be 18.104.22.1689.
If Family Tree Maker 2008 is blocked from the Internet or you are having other issues, you can manually download the update on the Family Tree Maker website. Step-by-step instructions are also available there. Additionally, Member Services can be contacted if troubleshooting or help is needed. They can be reached at: 1-877-FTM-2008 (1-877-386-2008)
I realize there are still many requested features for Family Tree Maker. Another large priority on the Family Tree Maker team’s roadmap is the creation and release of a desktop book building tool. As stated previously, that will likely be delivered next year due to the development requirements and resources. Other enhancements and features are being considered and prioritized for the future.
Testing the update on our end with a variety of files and situations has been very helpful. A special thanks to the many users who sent us their files for the various tests. I’m now anxious to receive feedback about the October update (Service Pack 2) from you and other Family Tree Maker 2008 customers.
As always, thank you for the feedback so far