Announcing the Launch of AncestryPress

Posted by Ancestry.com on October 2, 2007 in Ancestry.com Site

Welcome to the new AncestryPress! Many thanks to those of you who tried out the book building tool during the beta phase. The feedback you’ve provided over the past six months has helped us develop an application that is both robust and easy to use. Based on your suggestions, we’ve made the interface more intuitive and added many exciting new features. Please continue to send us your comments, questions and success stories.

I hope this blog will be a vibrant forum for discussion between AncestryPress customers and our product managers and developers. As the brand manager for AncestryPress, I look forward to hearing about your experiences creating and sharing your own personalized family history books. Please tell us what you like about the book building tool and what we might do to improve it. And please let us know what other types of output you would like to create in the future. We intend to offer a wide selection of gift products, and your input will help us focus our efforts.

Finally, I hope you’ll plan to join us for a free AncestryPress webinar on Thursday, November 1 at 8:30 p.m. Eastern Daylight Time (6:30 p.m. Mountain Daylight Time). We’ll discuss tips and tricks for creating family history books and present ideas for framed gifts that you can make in less than an hour. A webinar sign-up link will be posted on this blog in mid-October.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

NOTE: AncestryPress is now MyCanvas

In October 2008, AncestryPress was relaunched under the name MyCanvas. It is still a free, online software program provided by Ancestry.com. For current information about products and features, please see my more recent blog posts.

Comments
1 Pat BlanchardOctober 3, 2007 at 8:22 am

Just saw the “new” Ancestry Press. I was thrilled with my two books published with the Beta version, but this official launch is truly spectacular. I do have one suggestion, despite the fact that you have added some really awesome features. I would like to see more “military” backgrounds, perhaps of a more generic type. I have the makings of a wonderful book about my great uncle from World War I. Other folks have documentation and/or memorabilia from the Civil War. Then there is the Viet Nam War and the war with Iraq. Each historic era has its own look and feel (artistically speaking). I’d like see an expanded variety incuding perhaps a more general, not so specific, feel that would cover a variety of time periods … maybe old maps, flags, sayings from the era … something on that order. I believe there are a large number of members and/or potential members of Ancestry that would jump on a wider choice, so they could put together their own special scrapbooks to honor our soldiers from the past, as well as those serving today. Thanks for everything!

2 A GilmourOctober 3, 2007 at 1:05 pm

I’m new to Ancestry and I love Ancestry Press. I would like more “idea” pages on how to use the embellishments, etc. Where did the flags in the example page come from? Also, I would love to be able to do more editing on the documents appearance. For example, many of the census are dark or crooked. You can rotate the doc. but then it is crooked on the page. I’d also like to be able to share the book with relatives so they can contribute… when will that be available? Thanks for such an great way to preserve this information. Gift Ideas I like to see available… the book on DVD…with music in background.

3 Pat BlanchardOctober 3, 2007 at 5:21 pm

I have been playing with a new project (military in nature) and have checked out your sample pages. I am interested in A. Gilmour’s comments in that I, too, would like to know where the extra embellishments came from … the flags, the little map of England, and the unique font for a couple of the titles. Will they be available to us at a later date? Since this project is more of a scrapbook than a family history, I would like to be able to get rid of the title line at the top of the page. I can delete the lettering, but not the line. Perhaps when we choose a blank page, we could also choose whether or not the page is to be completely blank or have the line at the top for a title. As I mentioned in my earlier email today, I would really like more variety in backgrounds with a military theme … maybe more subtle and generic in nature, in order to fit various themes. If the extra embellishments in your examples were scanned and applied in some way, I’d appreciate some hints and tips on how it was done. Thanks for all your hard work. I am really enjoying this.

4 SarahOctober 8, 2007 at 9:39 am

I have a basic question. I have a family tree but I have not uploaded it to Ancestry.com. I have a family who is very private and asked that I not upload their history to anything. Can I still use this program to produce a book for family use only?

5 KinMapperOctober 11, 2007 at 10:37 pm

As a complement to Sarah’s question, what posts, book publishing and uploads are free from Ancestry claiming the right to distribute (as to non-persons) tree data and compiled lore, stories and other content?

It is clear from the Family Tree agreement, that we are giving away our copyright to Ancestry on content and work as to any part of tree not pertaining to the living.

What are the other “Hidey-Holed” submission agreements that most will not ever notice, as to other uploaded matters?

6 KandeeOctober 13, 2007 at 8:16 am

I too have many family members that have requested not to have their information available on the internet. Is it possible to upgrade to FTM 2008, utilize ancestry press and still honor their wishes?

7 FredOctober 13, 2007 at 4:43 pm

Another wrong step by TGN

On the surface it looks like TGN put their resources into the new AncestryPress rather than FTM 2008. I believe this is another wrong step by TGN. Just how many people will pay you the price you are asking to professionally print custom family history books? Why is the cost of this service not explained up front?

The cost of this service is unreasonable, $39 for 24 pages and then .39 cents for each additional page. So on one of my book that is 100 pages the cost is $69 plus another $3.50 tax and then shipping to print this with you versus less than $11-$20 printing it at a professional printer. As you only allow 100 pages for the book versus most professional printers allowing about 430 pages, your services is very limited for people with more than 100 pages. I can also go to a professional printer and have 8 copies printed for about what you want to print one copy. I can also have 100 CDs of the book made for around $120. A 430 page book only cost about $24 to print by a professional printer.

Needless to say I will not be using AncestryPress printing service. I could be wrong but I don’t see many others using AncestryPress at these prices.

8 LueOctober 13, 2007 at 8:23 pm

I’m just getting into this. I’m so excited to print out a book for my new son. It will take me forever, I’m so particular. I look forward to all of the new enhancements.

9 Jeff JahnOctober 18, 2007 at 6:48 am

In reply to Fred

If you have done research on photo books and such you will see that ancestrypress has a very reasonable price compared to the others.

I dont know what you mean bye professional printers are you talking about locate print shops, or kinkos and such?

10 Thomas MacEnteeNovember 29, 2007 at 7:27 am

I just received my first books that I published about 2 weeks ago as Christmas gifts. I was like a dog at the front door, panting when the UPS truck pulled up.

I am very impressed with the quality of the product and the application itself.

I’ve written about the experience on my family history blog:

Cheers!

Thomas Macentee

11 DarylDecember 18, 2007 at 12:40 pm

Hi,

How can i become a Beta Tester
for Family Tree Maker.
Please help thanks

12 Gerald J. DomingueJune 6, 2008 at 8:42 am

I would like information on the costs of publishing with Ancestry Press. Please send details. I have three volumes, approximately 2100 pages total … over 300 black/white photos that I might consider converting into a book or books printed by your press. Thanks.

Gerald Domingue
June 6, 2008

13 Lynn BerkeleyJanuary 8, 2009 at 8:33 pm

At the request of family members, I need to leave out members of the current generation relatives. Is this permissable for Ancestry Press?

Comment on this articleCommenting is open until Tuesday, 16 October 2007

Looking for help with a specific problem? Try contacting Customer Service.

Discuss more Ancestry.com topics in the Message Boards.