Welcome to our weekly update on the new Ancestry website. Last week we posted an article that covered new enhancements on Family Events. This week we rolled out some product fixes and we are working on photo cropping.
Another exciting update is that we developed an in-depth online course on the new Ancestry to introduce users to the new tools including LifeStory. You can access it for FREE on Ancestry Academy.
As always, we have also included links to articles and videos at the end of this post that will help answer your questions and provide more tips on the new site.
Product fixes introduced since last week:
- Minor Updates to UI
- Updates to address issues reported by our members
Preview of upcoming features:
- Photo Cropping – this new feature will enable you to upload a picture once and digitally crop the image for multiple people. Also, this will prevent you from cropping pictures and uploading multiple versions of a picture.
Features that we are still working on:
- Profile picture cropping – Edit/crop a profile photo to fit in the circular photo space
- Member Connect – Find other members researching a similar ancestor and save info from their family trees
- Family Group Sheet – A family view of the of the person and their family
Top Reported Issues
Below is an update on some of the issues surfacing from your feedback.
- Users find the new site difficult to navigate or can find an existing feature – A video on the new Ancestry is now available on Ancestry Academy to help with learning the site. We also are continuing to watch feedback on how to improve site.
- Users can’t find how to set profile picture – This feature is available under EDIT in the Gallery Viewer by clicking on the name of the people that have the picture associated to them. We are looking at design changes to make the more easily found.
- Photos added to events to appear as thumbnails in Facts view– Thank you for your feedback on this. We are evaluating whether to include this functionality in the new Ancestry site.
We appreciate your feedback and encourage you to keep submitting it. What do you love about the new website? Did you find a bug? Something doesn’t quite work like you think it should? Please submit it via this form. Thank you.
We will be providing more updates over the next couple of weeks.
- Video Overview of the new Ancestry
- Frequently Asked Questions about New Ancestry
- Quick Start Card – Person Facts View
- New Ancestry Customer Forum
- Announcing the New Ancestry Website
- The New Facts View: Make Sure You Are Climbing YOUR Family Tree and Not Someone Else’s
- Ancestry LifeStory: The Life Lived in the Dash
- What’s New at Ancestry: June 2015 Edition
- Enhance Your Research with Ancestry’s New LifeStory