Welcome to our weekly update on the new Ancestry website. Last week we posted an article that introduced exciting enhancements on Person Media Gallery, Research Tools, and Family Card in Hints. Here is this week’s update on our progress. We have also included links to articles and videos at the end of this post that will help answer your questions and provide more tips on the new site.
Features we have been working on since last week:
- We are investing a lot of resources updating our backend infrastructure so the new Ancestry will work much better than the old site.
- Printing in Facts View –We have had a busy week bringing Print feature to the new Ancestry. You will notice that the coming soon print image is formatted to fit the page while still reflecting the layout and benefits of the Facts View as well as removing the dark backgrounds to reduce unnecessary use of ink for printing. We are also working on printing for LifeStory and MyCanvas publishing options. We are almost there and here is the sneak preview.
Features that we are still working on:
- FamilySearch integration – LDS Account holders will be able to share information between their Ancestry tree on the new Ancestry site and their Family Tree on FamilySearch.
- Profile picture cropping – Edit/crop a profile photo to fit in the circular photo space
Top Reported Issues
Below is a status on the top issues surfacing from your feedback.
- Relationship Calculator – We have addressed the a number of the reported issues, this should be available now on the Person Page.
- Inaccurate narrations in LifeStory and Facts view – We are looking at the language in the narrations and how to better generate narratives.
- Photos added to events to appear as thumbnails in Facts view – Thank you for your feedback on this. We are evaluating whether to include this functionality in the new Ancestry site.
- LifeStory map pins appearing in wrong locations – This has been an issue due to how the locations are evaluated. We implemented a fix last week that will prevent mapping pins for any location that doesn’t have a standardized place. We are also looking at improving the standardized place engine to ensure correct pin placement.
We appreciate your feedback and encourage you to keep submitting it. What do you love about the new website? Did you find a bug? Something doesn’t quite work like you think it should? Please submit it via this form. Thank you. We will be providing more updates over the next couple of weeks.
More Resources on Ancestry
- Announcing the New Ancestry Website
- The New Facts View: Make Sure You Are Climbing YOUR Family Tree and Not Someone Else’s
- Ancestry LifeStory: The Life Lived in the Dash